Akki's Story

Akki's Story

A Story by Midnight_Mask

   This would be one of those moments where normally Akki would shy away. With the way he stared at her so intently, his eyes fixed sharp and lips pressed ever so slightly together in determination. 
   "I want to be there for you Akki, you don't have to do this alone any more." He spoke so softly, as if even his words would break her small frame.
   But Akki held her buckling wall and stood defiantly and strong. "You won't be able to help me. Where I am going, life is preyed upon." Akki bit back and felt a slight pang of pain at how venomous she sounded.
   This was Tyk, a dear friend who she saved from a extermination of his nation. Being a brilliant mage and coming from a rich background, he was educated and proved most useful. On the night she saved him, she was terribly exhausted from using her magic, that she fell asleep. While she lay dreaming, a man came in with the intent on killing her and freeing Tyk. Tyk could've let him and be free of Akki, but instead he killed the man and sat next to her sleeping body till she woke so he knew she was fine. Saving her life that night built trust and friendship to a point that Akki had never had anyone closer before.
    Now she was trying to save his life again. But he feared that if she went alone, she might not come back for more reasons then the dangers - and that was exactly what she was thinking.
   "I see. At least take Aventi with you." Tyk replied, a little stung and beaten.
   "I will, don't worry Tyk." 
   Aventi is Akki's spirit partner; at birth the spirit can sometimes split like twins and create two lifeforms of the same spirit, connected magically. Aventi took the form of a large wolf, covered in long white fur and big amber eyes. As with spirit partners, you can communicate mentally, feel each others emotions, see or hear what the other does and when one is hurt, so is the other.
    Turning on heel, Akki made her way deeper into the dense forest, "Akki!" She paused mid-stride without turning, "If you don't come back-" He paused, as if trying to think of words to say, "I'll hold the fort for you." It seemed a out of place response, but Akki didn't linger on could bes' or ifs'.
    Without turning Akki shouted over her shoulder, "Thank you Tyk, until next time." Then she let the forest envelope around her, hiding her in its secret shadows and natural paths winding throughout the towering trees.
   Once Akki was happy she walked far enough, Aventi appeared beside her and nudged into her side. Akki could feel her concern in the big wolves mind and after forcefully pushing it aside, Akki decided she was ready to leave.
   Walking forward slowly - thinking - seeing the world change around her, the dense forest retreated, relieving naked hills stretched out for miles, populated by grand forests that seemed to be growing bigger with every heart beat. The world unfolded around Akki and Aventi like a book falling open to the very middle page - it seemed that everything was touched by simple beauty, everything bare of life for miles. 
    Breathing in the new world, Akki relaxed to the freshness of air that pulled at her face, pawing for attention and appreciation. 
   Getting her bearings right, Akki started heading to one of the remaining settlements that is still surviving, it was called Steppengale Fort. A fort surrounded by a grand forest and only one way in and one way out.

© 2014 Midnight_Mask


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 13, 2014
Last Updated on July 14, 2014

Author

Midnight_Mask
Midnight_Mask

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am Midnight_Mask and write because that's how I express my feels and how I see life. I've wrote everything from songs, to poems, to short stories, to chapters. One of my goals is to finish a b.. more..

Writing