My First Night

My First Night

A Story by Midnight_Mask

    Walking towards the pub, I started getting nervous so in one fluent movement I pulled out cigarette and lighter. A quick flick of my hand and the comforting relaxing smoke filled my lungs and I started the prep talk to myself. My bag was heavy packed with my laptop and started giving me a back ache like usual, but I marched on. 
    It was strange being worried that I might have forgotten where the pub was or that I passed it and was completely distracted with my fears. But I saw it right ahead now and I let out a breath in reassurance. Checking my phone quickly to find a text from my friend letting me know that him and his brother there already, quickly letting my fingers glide across the touch screen of my phone with simple grace and easy, typing "I'm outside". Relieved I wasn't too early, I sat down on one of the two benches and finished my cigarette with some more prep talk. It was annoying because my boyfriend didn't want to come. He never liked pubs or me drunk, but I thought at least this one would be different and be an exception. 
    Gathering up the courage I stood up and walked through one of the three doors of the pub and found Jo and Jamie instantly, nerves started to settle slightly. Smiling with ease I hugged the two brothers and dropped my burden of a bag and my beautiful trench coat on the bench next to them.
   "What drink do you want?" Jamie asked.
   "Err..I'll just have a vodka and lemonade, I'll get it no worry." I replied.
   "Don't be silly, let me buy you your first drink." Jamie steered me over to the bar and ordered my drink. Whilst he was paying, I had the chance to sheepishly glance around the almost empty pub - comparing it to Friday night, the first time Jamie brought me here and introduced me to it. That thought made me smile to myself, talking the piss out of League made Jamie nervous and worried someone would hear. I only kept going because of his reaction.
    Moving back over to our seats I started to set up my laptop and me and Jamie decided to play a couple of bot games of Dota while we waiting for the place to fill up a little more for group games. 
   I don't remember the pub move around me whilst I concentrated on the strategy of the game. I couldn't quite tell who approached the table and started talking to Jamie distracting him. Could've just been Jo, but whoever it was got a snapping comment from me before I scolded Jamie for not concentrating.
   After a couple games, I ran out for a smoke while Jamie messed around on his laptop. I felt more at ease having played a couple games of Dota with Jamie. It been a week since I last played and the joy the game brought me was always welcomed. I did get a little violent or aggressive some times if not all the time, but the fact that the game challenged me was enjoyable.
   Sitting on the bench again while I smoked, I quickly checked my phone to reveal no texts like usual, but the habit to check it while I was alone was what ate at me, leading me to check it a second time. Nope, still no texts. 
   Looking up I realised another guy was smoking, he just finished a call he was in and put his phone in his pocket. Still having half a cigarette left to smoke, I decided I'll try to chat. I'm good at talking, I work in a pub and am forced to talk to new people everyday. But just the thought of opening my mouth to say something my mind went blank.
   I don't know who initialised the conversation, I just found myself talking to this guy. Everything went so quickly and my nerves were running at a high. 
   "My name's Tom" He introduced himself.
   "Katie" I shoot the nervous smile, swearing I sounded pathetically small.
   "So you play Dota?" He asked next.
   We ended up talking about our favourite heroes, telling little stories of funny moments of supporting and joking about extreme Russian players.
   Walking back into the pub after the chat and smoke I felt a little more confident. Hoping I didn't make a bad first impression as always, I went over to the brothers.
   They were talking about something I didn't catch and I waited patiently for them to finish. 
   Entering my peripheral vision to my right was a guy. Instantly I lowered my head nervous and shy, but watching closely for any signs of threat. It was so unusual to have someone randomly come to our table, so I waited him to ask the brothers for a chair or something to be able to get back to the question I wanted to ask.
   "Any Dota people at this table?" The guy asked in an strangely completely non-threatening and friendly sounding voice.
   With a burst of excitement of talking about Dota I almost jumped, "Yep!" The guy seemed taken aback by my random jump of joy, as the looks Jo and Jamie gave was a little like they wanted to crawl under the table and hide, but I couldn't decide if that was from the new guy or my reaction.
   "We are setting up a game against the Berlin Meltdown and need two more players," The new guy continued "Interested?"
   With sudden joy of a challenge I shot a look at Jo and then Jamie in turn, "You have to play guys, isn't it what you guys wanted?" Almost begging and whining like a child.
   The brothers looked unsure still, Jamie seemed to be up for it and then he clung to Jo as he only played if Jo played. So I climbed over to hug Jo and bully him into joining his brother. After a short fussy fight, I won.
   "So you two will join, good. We'll start setting up the game then." And the stranger left then. 
   "You have to play afterwards." Jamie said, making me pout in reluctance.
   "Maybe." I replied, dragging out the words to sound slightly childish.
   In short notice we all made our way over to the PC's, dragging out bags, laptops and coats with us and bundling them in yet another corner. I watched from behind the PC's on the stage feeling slightly taller and excited. Taking the opportunity to study the room again. Spotting those who were playing, seeing Tom and giving him a little nod of encouragement and acknowledgement. But I couldn't quite find the guy who invited us to play, he seemed to disappear in the buzz of my excitement.
   Moving in to cheer on the brothers, chat about who they will play, who'll be support and what lane they wanted. I watched the game, giving quite words of help to both brothers, but it was looking bad as more and more of our team was getting killed.
   "Whoever gets the first kill gets a slice of pizza." Someone called and I glanced down to spot the guy and his friends eating pizza on a small table and couldn't help lightly laughing. 
   In short notice, Jo wheeled in to gank on Jamie's lane, communicating in eminence concentration. Within thirty long dragging intense seconds, the kill was complete. 
   "We got a kill?" One of the guys on the pizza table asked, sounding slightly taken back, "Who got the kill? Lina. One pepperoni pizza slice for Lina." The guy placed the slice on the router and another comical moment of me bickering that it shouldn't be on the router and Jo claiming it'll keep the pizza warm. 
   The night seemed to buzz by as I switched from running to get drinks, going ladies and trying to escape a game by going for a well timed smoke.
   Still got bullied into playing Dota though, being force to sit down and play set my nerves running again. As I couldn't remember my steam log in, Jo borrowed me his spare and in no time I was in the party and we were loading up our game - ability draft. 
   Having Jo looking over my shoulder helping me pick a good set up. The game ended in a loss pretty quickly, but the enjoyment of strategic playing with the other players made it worth the game, even though I did shoot a angry comment at one point forgetting I wasn't hiding behind a screen at home where no one could hear me.
   After the games we all sat in mine and the brothers claimed corner, with a good few of the players just chatting in general. I met Josh whilst one of the games were in motion and smoked with him, a tall guy with a quirky personality. The guy who invited us over to play, who I found out from the brothers' name was Sam, also joined and we ended up moving to the bar, talking everything from dnd to magic and mcm expo. 
   I felt at ease, as if I've known these people for years and we was just catching up over a good drink and a laugh. Josh and Sam was both upbeat type guys and I did take the advantage to have a little banter flirt, which I found Josh is used to as he worked in a bar as well. 
   The night ended quickly, with the whole gang moving out of the bar in a group to huddle together and chat about where we all were heading.
   "Anyone up for more drinks?" Sam asked.
   I almost jumped at the invite, wanting to continue the awesome night.
   "I don't know, where do you live?" Jamie asked, while they discussed this I noticed Jamie looking unsure and I was a little upset when he said he rather not as it was too far. If Jamie said it was too far, then it was too far.
   Deciding it was a no doer and I couldn't possibly go with Jamie, I decided it'll be a early night then. So the brothers went to catch their bus after a quick hug and me, Josh and Sam headed for their bus stop towards Kings Cross. 
   The guys discussed what buses they needed to get and asked me, which I quickly said I was walking as I only live 15mins away. 
   When their bus came, I quickly hugged the guys farewell and started on my home, thinking about the night and happy with getting more steam friends. Shortly I realised I wasn't going to message them unless they messaged me first and yet again got nervous. 
   In total, the night was fun, I got fairly drunk and had a really good night. It was an unusual thing as it was almost alien. To meet so many people in one night and have so much in common. Remember that Josh liked magic like me and Sam liked books, the chat about Terry Goodkind and Lord Rahl and then to my favourite author. I felt relaxed and happy. With a huge smile on my face, I walked home thinking about the chats and listening to my music.

© 2014 Midnight_Mask


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 16, 2014
Last Updated on July 16, 2014

Author

Midnight_Mask
Midnight_Mask

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am Midnight_Mask and write because that's how I express my feels and how I see life. I've wrote everything from songs, to poems, to short stories, to chapters. One of my goals is to finish a b.. more..

Writing