Writing Exercise: Storm

Writing Exercise: Storm

A Story by Kayla
"

Write a page about the weather without the words: is, are, was and there.

"
  Dark, black clouds billow in from the east. They swallow up the blue sky, slowly at first and then all at once. Night has fallen despite it being noon. You can hear what sound like the drums of war and see the demons disguised as lightening dance across the sky. Then the rain begins. A drop, then two, then it comes down in streams. Ten minutes outside and you become soaked to the bone. Clothing weighs you down, making running to find shelter that much more difficult. A small river forms in the street. A brown, muddy death trap replaces your lawn. The wind howls and angrily whips around. It bites your wet skin and attacks the trees. The weaker branches don`t put up much resistant to such a bully. A crack of bright lightening flashes across the sky. The sudden roar that follows puts you on edge. Much too close for comfort. The sky attacks the ground with droplets of rain and the ground is trying to send them right back. You stand trapped, caught in the crossfire of water between sky and ground. Small, white pebbles start to enter the fray. The grass changes from green to white. Three bolts of lightening illuminate the sky. After a count of ten a deafening, seemingly never ending thunder begins. When it stops, you are left empty. 
 You notice the blue sky creeping its way across the heavens. The rain makes the change from assault to sprinkle. It kisses the flowers, like an abuser apologizing to their victim. Sunshine caresses you skin, warming you to your core. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet paint the sky. The rain reaches its full conclusion and only a few white cloud stay behind. The message of hope seems apart of everything.

© 2016 Kayla


Author's Note

Kayla
I hope you like it. It isn`t for anything, just practicing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely. And a difficult excersize. Well done.

Because your profile says you are interested in suggestions I have two.
Here:
The message of hope seems apart of everything.
I think you mean 'a part'?
Also consider whether' seems ' is needed.

My suggestion :
The message of hope, a part of everything.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
1 Review
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 11, 2016
Tags: weather, flash fiction, storm, rainbow, thunder, practice, exercise

Author

Kayla
Kayla

Canada



About
I am just trying to get better at something I am passionate about. Any advice is most appreciated more..

Writing
 Writing Exercise #3 Writing Exercise #3

A Screenplay by Kayla