The Encounter

The Encounter

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

"What was it about her that drew me to her."

"

The Short Encounter


She was just an ordinary girl, plain and simple. Certainly not a girl to write home to your mom about.

And yet, there was something about her, something that drew me to her like a fly to a fly trap. What was it about her that mesmerized me so?

She was a checker at the local grocery market making minimum wages and putting in long hours.

She wore a name tag that read Rachel.

I stared at her studying all the features of her face. The color of her eyes, the shape of her lips, her hair, nothing escaped my sight.

My purchases had already gone through the scanning process and I had already paid for my items, and yet I remained at the counter looking at her.

"What are you looking at Mr." she asked.

I think I sort of heard her question, but didn't respond. My mind was temporarily occupied by her vision.

Why was I so fascinated by her? She was certainly no great beauty. Her face was not one to launch a thousand ships. What was it?

She reached out and shook my arm, "Mr. are you alright?"

I woke from my trance, "Um, yeah, I'm fine."

She looked at me and nodded, "What were you looking at that had you so enthralled?"

I looked up and behind her was a poster that read, "Apples, Two for one dollar."

I pointed to it and said, "That."

She turned and looked, "Oh yeah, the apples. That's a really good deal for this time of year. You wanna' get a couple?"

"Nah," I replied, "maybe next time."

  We appeared to be about the same age.

I checked her left hand to see if there was a wedding band or anything. There wasn't. That was a good sign I thought.

Picking up my things I looked at her and said, "Welp, see ya next time."

She smiled and replied, "Yep, next time."

© 2019 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
In life sometimes you experience certain events and wonder, what if.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hellos, good evening, M.E. Lyle,
short encounters do keep yrr thinking,
forever
sometimes more memorable,
would of? But sometimes the encounter did so many mean things, in the moment,
or comes around with no good intention, or disagreeable moments, yrrr,
great assumber, great write, ---1809 Black Plague December

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on February 18, 2019

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle