Eve of Distruction

Eve of Distruction

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

I tell you friends, over, and over, over again.

"

The Eve of Destruction


Way back in 1964 a young man recorded a song called The Eve of Destruction.

His name was Barry McGuire. I was a kid of 15 at the time. I can't tell you how impactful the lyrics to that song were. Me and my buddies were sure the end was coming any day now. We waited and waited. Before long, decades had past and still, no world cataclysmic event had occurred. Things seemed to simply go on just as they always had.


Today I look around at our world and wonder, "How much longer can this insanity go on?"

Yep, things are pretty much the same with a few new twisties and turnies.

We have included into the fray, political correctness, LGBTQ, re-imagined historical facts, global warming, and so much more.

I wonder, are we at least nearing the point of the eve of destruction. I don't think so. I think there's a lot more to come before God says, "ENOUGH."


The eastern world, it is explodin,

Violence flarin, bullets loadin

You're old enough to kill, but not for votin

You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're tottin,

And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin


But you tell me over and over and over my friend again.

Ah, ya don't believe we're on the eve of distruction.


It's odd how each generation has it's own tales to tell.

I guess we weren't quite to the point of destruction just yet, but who knows, maybe tomorrow will.


Until that time my friends, live long, love one another, and enjoy what you have left.


Ah, you tell me over, and over, and over my friends....


A catchy little tune, really.


© 2019 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
The days of Vietnam were really bad times. Are things any better today?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know the tune well and have a similar perspective. But destruction comes in many perspectives. World war one destroyed a world, a pastoral metaphor of life and set the stage for world war two, which I think finished that era of social/human/historical destruction. Its an infinite cycle. This cycle, it's not so much about landscape or social, it's about destroying the mind. All is mind. Our generation is the last of it's kind. Millennials are the transition to the next cycle toward destruction. Art always foreshadows, for good or bad. I think you've framed this well M.E. keep peeling the onion.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 8, 2019
Last Updated on October 9, 2019

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle