Part One

Part One

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle

The Transformation of Fay

Part One


Fay was a mess when they brought her through the ER. She had compound fractures of both femurs, a compound fracture of the right humerus, multiple fractured ribs, internal organ damage, a skull fracture, and multiple other injuries. Things were not looking good for her. It was hard to believe that at age 21 her life was about to be over.

For her parents it was already too late. They had passed on and were on their way to another life.

Usually when a small SUV meets head up with a Big Rig truck the results are not good. And so it was in this case.

The EMT responsible for her transport had never seen anything as gruesome.


"There's no way she makes it," he said to a nearby attendant.


He chocked back his emotions, walked over to a nearby Coke machine, placed his money in the machine, punched his choice, retrieved it, and then went to the nearest corner and began to cry like a baby.


Six months passed before Fay opened her eyes again.

It was a dark and stormy Monday morning in February.

She searched the room for some sense of familiarity, but things were a blur, and out of kilter.

She could make out the figure of a man standing by her bed, studying her as she tried to gain her bearings.

"There you are," he said.

It was Dr. Shoemake, head neurosurgeon at St. Joan's Regional hospital.


St. Joan's was in a small East Texas town of about 250 thousand people.

Dr. Shoemake had been summoned.

The circumstances of this case met his criteria. It was exactly what he had been training for.

His medical crew consisted of specialist in the field of genetics, stem cell therapy, surgical experts in the field of internal medicine, and various other experts in various fields.


Fay was in perfect physical condition. There no signs she had been in a catastrophic event.

No scars, no bruises, no tubes sticking from this place or that, she was perfect.


Dr. Shoemake leaned over her and asked, "How are you doing?"


"Fine," she answered in a crisp, clean voice.


Dr. Shoemake introduced himself and explained her situation. He also informed her of the fate of her parents.

She did not take the news well.


News of her miraculous recovery spread throughout St.Joan's.

Soon she became the girl who had defied death.

Flowers filled the room.


Her story made local and national headlines.

In the span of 24 hours she had become a celebrity.


The Paramedic who had attended her stopped by to get a look at her.

With her permission he examined her.

He was looking for evidence she was the same girl.


"There's no way," he exclaimed. "You're not supposed to be here."


Looking closely at him she replied, "I don't understand."


He pointed to places where splintered bone had punctured through skin and noted the lack of scares. He touched her forehead where her scalp had been torn away, and noted no evidence of any injury.

She was perfect.

What he saw troubled him.

He knew what he had seen. The girl he looked at could not the same girl. It was impossible.


It was July, nearly a year since the accident, her recovery was complete.


Each year during the month of August her small town hosted The Annual Balloon Fest.

It was there Fay found herself surrounded by her friends. They insisted she join them in the Glow Run.


"C'mon Fay, it'll be fun. It's only 3 miles." insisted her best friend.


On top of a hill a young man jogged toward the starting line. She was struck by his appearance.

Her friend encouraged her to introduce herself, but she refused.


"I'm not ready," she exclaimed, "especially after the last time."

The last time was well over a year ago, just months before her accident. It had not ended well. She had not recovered.


As the young man jogged by, Fay's best friend shoved her out in front of him.

They collided and he fell, unhurt.


"I'm so sorry!" Fay exclaimed. "Are you OK?"

She leaned over and offered her hand in an attempt to help him to his feet.


"It's my friend," she said, "she...ah, it's complicated."


"Well," he laughed, "it worked. A bit painful, but effective."


She smiled and looked into his eyes.

There was something about him that was different. Her heart pounded. 






© 2021 M.E.Lyle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on May 17, 2021
Last Updated on May 19, 2021


Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle