Independence Day

Independence Day

A Story by Michael of Gilead
"

A day to remember the foundations of what has made This country what it is

"

The Fourth of July, 236 years ago some rowdy, mostly well to do or above the poverty line group of people, pretty much told off the most power country in the world.

 

Thus leading to a paid day off, bbq's and the occasional loss of a finger or two tossing fireworks

 

What a legacy eh?

 

Oh, and it also lead to the creation of the best, most powerful and truely free country ever conceived in the history of mankind.

 

Now thats a legacy.

 

On this day I always like to remember. So many different things come to mind, but the overriding thing that occurs to me is, even after the events of 9/11, is just how damn safe I feel here, only one time did I not feel that way, but that has passed. I trusted it would and it has. I have trusted to this country in it's basic goodness and I have never felt completely disappointed or let down, my trust has always been vindicated (yes, I have many problems with certain social and political agendas afoot, but in general I trust to this country) and I believe in this country completely.

 

One this day I like to remember, that I don't have to walk 5 miles in 100 degree heat over burning sands, to get water just to survive for one more day while warring factions destroy anything and everything around me.

 

I like to remember, I am not forced to believe things that are utter lies and made to genuflect to a leader who holds life or death over me should I ever say I am unhappy with things as they are.

 

I like to remember, I'm not French, English, Spanish, German or anything else but American.

 

I like to remember, I do not feel guilty for being an American.

 

I like to watch the movie Independence Day, yes it is trite and silly but if you put the English as the aliens, it's kinda the story of the revolution, we got our a*s's kicked, drew some blood along the way, were completely overmatched and yet finally found a way to win.

 

I love, absoultely LOVE reminding those fools, idiots, political hacks and liers that screamed and yelled and insisted that we were but moments away from Bush, Cheney and Halliburton declaring marshal law and having the jack boots marching down each street in America after causing 9/11, and passing the Patriot Act.

YOU people were wrong, foolishly stupid or blatantly lied. God help you if you actually believed any of that. (Yes that includes you too Charlie Sheen, Rosie O'donnell et al)

But then, remember, this is America and you were free to be stupid.

 

I like to remember, I am not blind to all that has happened over our country's history, no one and no country has been perfect, many of these injustices have been addressed, for better or worse, more will be in the future. I remember nothing is perfect.

 

I remember, 15 years ago being at Cape Hatteras and going to Roanoke Island, the first attempt to colonize America in 1585, the feeling of history was deep there for me, the major thought being, this was were it all started.

 

I remember, on this day, I owe all that I have, the life I enjoy and all that I am to a group of men who had so much to lose in that time and place. No, they were not perfect and they did not create perfection, but they put their lives and their fortunes on the line for something bigger than any of them could ever really appreciate. And yes everyone who is reading this can point out 100's of problems and wrongs done along the way, but then....look at every other nation's history, are they not just as rife with wrongs and problems? No nation on Earth has been more powerful and used it to defend and save more people and used that power with better restraint than any other nation or empire.

 

Happy birthday America. 

 

 

© 2012 Michael of Gilead


Author's Note

Michael of Gilead
Yes, I love this country deeply and fully, I know it's faults and I know it is the best place on earth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An awesome tribute to this great country that we live in. Although I agree that we do not have perfect politics and such, we do have so many freedoms that many other countries do not. And I hope that it remains this way. Our nation was founded as a great one and every fourth of July as I watch the fireworks I get chills, because I do think about the greatness and how lucky I am to have been born here. To have the freedom to say, write, dress and be who I want. Yes indeed Happy Birthday America!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much Kates, I too share the same about the fireworks....it makes me think of all the .. read more
Bless ya, man, my fellow American...and happy birthday, U.S.A.
let me add this...this is a great country, a free country, and though there are flaws in our history and in our present lets remember this:
we are a country based on freedom and diversity. it what makes us America. we are a resilliant people who don't lay down after a fight, we keep going win or lose. so whether you're right or left, respect one another for your differences in opinion on how this country should be run. it is not our duty to "like" who is in office...it is our duty to like one another. it shouldn't take something like 9-11, Katrina, etc to pull us together. we should have a feeling of community. if you have an opinion, voice it and let it be heard. just remember who fought and died so that you could...and if you disagree with what's been voiced...respect that person's right to believe it....and if you can't...shoot them. because you have the right to bear arms...just make sure you make it look like they were tresspassing on your property and you'll be okay.
the reason i love this country? i was born here...this is where my family is...this is where my friends are..(even ones like mikey who bugs the shyte out of me and sometimes i'd like to shoot him or at least gore him with a bayonette)...i can go to church, synagogue, mosque, or tent revival...i can even sit at home on a sunday and watch Jimmy Swaggert if i choose...(though he doesn't cry like he used to)...i can flip off a cop and not have to worry about disappearing from existence...i can even burn the flag if i chose to...(not that i would, unless i knew it would piss the right people off)(the wrong people would be the ones who have bigger guns than me)...i work at whatever job i want...well, you get it...thanks mikey, for putting this out there...i hope you feel the same after us commie socialists from the ObamaSquad of Re-Education slap a collar on you and put you in our...um...Re-Education Center For Wayward Sepratists....huggles!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

And you're dying for it right now.....anticipation is 50% ;)
Brad

11 Years Ago

sassy
Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

*smack*

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2012
Last Updated on July 4, 2012
Tags: Country, foundations, beginings, independance


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Insatiable Insatiable

A Poem by Bubo