Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide

A Story by Mike Wolfe
"

"For the blood cleanses us..."

"

My name is Kara.

I’m dying.

Voices scream in my mind. Pick up the knife. Draw blood. Taste blood.

I pressed my hands against my ears…as if that would help silence them. It never had before. The knife was stuck in the dirt a few feet in front of me. Just like always.

It was cruel and sharp. Polished silver in appearance. Always with dried blood. Always. Mine.

There was a lion on the hilt. Roaring with its teeth bared. Red rubies for eyes. Pure evil.

Beautiful and deadly. A serpent wound its way around the handle and its head stuck out at the pommel. Crimson jewels for eyes. Fangs ready to inject poison. Evil once again.

Pick up the knife! My blood boiled and seemed to turn to fire in my veins. There was a hideous scream that I barely recognized as mine. There was only one way to ease the pain. One way to stop the suffering. Picking up the knife.

I stagger forward, like a drunk. Overcome by pain. I fall forward and my hand misses the knife. Frantically I claw for it, until I feel its blade cutting through my palm. My blood stopped its burning and I heard myself wheezing for breath. I clutched the handle and pressed the knife to my chest, like a religious woman holding a small cross.

Hugging it like it was my sole source of security. Not caring if it sliced my skin.

Draw blood. Taste blood. With trembling hands, I drew the blade across my wrist and licked the blood that spilled. I was wracked with pleasure, this was my fix, my drug. But alas, it did not last.

My demons allowed me to taste this satisfaction to keep me craving it. To keep me hoping. That for a split second, I could make my world right. I could create my own paradise before it was burned to the ground by reality. By my own destruction.

Every beat of my heart was like a sledgehammer crushing my chest. As if my heart were trying to escape my own personal hell.  

I rolled onto my back. Staring at the lifeless sky above me. At the dead and twisted trees surrounding me. Forsaken. Cast down. Abandon. Dead inside.

My name is Kara.

And I’m dying.

The knife lay on the dirt beside me. Its sharpened blade waiting to cut through more of my skin. My only friend. My worst enemy. All in one.

Wounded. Scorned. Hated.

All have abandon me. All but my demons and their knife. Worthless. Useless. Helpless.

Blood leaked from my wrists. Scars cover my body. Pitiful. Hated. I shut my eyes. I couldn’t take this. I should plunge the knife through my heart.

Sinner.

SAINT.

The last thought came from a voice I didn’t recognize. It was like a bullet to the head of my accuser. The name itself seared its way through my others and seemed to brand itself on my forehead.

LOVED. WANTED.

The names kept coming, each like a cool stream washing away infection. Like an antidote to my poison. Curing my wounds. Washing them clean.

You’re filthy! You don’t deserve this. Look! You still are wearing scars.

But the other voice was stronger. DAUGHTER. CHILD OF THE KING.

I opened my eyes. The knife was still beside me. The scars were still on my wrists like my demons said they were. But there was a man standing there. Standing tall like a warrior. A protector. Slayer of demons.

He was reaching out a hand. He wanted the knife. He wanted to take away my only fix! No, he wanted to take away my pain. The source of my destruction. My friend! No, my enemy.

I clasp the knife, and handed it to him. I heard the demons screaming in my head. Like the clap of a thousand thunder storms. Screaming like a woman being attacked. Like banshees in the night. Like they had done to me so many times. No! That’s her knife. She gave herself to us in blood!

THEN LET ME PAY FOR HER, IN BLOOD.

He gave me a small smile. Like a father reassuring his daughter. He gripped the hilt. And plunged the blade deep into his chest.

I was horrified. I stood quickly and grabbed him. “No! No!” I was drenched with his blood, I lay him down on the ground and hugged him around his chest. The knife had disappeared and his blood poured freely over me. My tears mixed with it and for a time I just lay there, holding my protector.

WHY DO YOU CRY?

No, it wasn’t possible. I stood and looked around.

LOOK, YOU ARE WHOLE.

I looked down at my arms. Not believing what I was seeing, my arms, once marred by scars, now whole. Complete, without a single mark. Smooth and soft, like a baby’s.

And now I realized, the voices were gone. I was a slave no longer.

AS LONG AS YOU LIVE, LOVE ME. I LOVE YOU.

“I love you too!” I shouted to heaven. Where I’m sure that one day I’ll see him. My savior, my redeemer.

My name is Kara, daughter of the King.

And for the first time, I’m alive.

© 2014 Mike Wolfe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This... It's so beautiful... I'm speechless

Posted 8 Years Ago


Amazing, you created a story one can relate to. You show us a god or some similar savoir. The serpent and lion imagery of the knife stupendous! Really good job, however some things were... well you know the saying "Show don't tell?" You showed us that the hilt was evil. Saying pure evil only took away from making us read it. Same with the blade. You also showed that the King was from heaven, having her talk to heaven made the story seemed staged, unlike life. Great job though!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mike Wolfe

8 Years Ago

Why thank you! I appreciate the constructive criticism!
I liked the plot, it was cool...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful piece about how we are saved and loved by God. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant and symbolic... This really spoke to me

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Wow. This is truly brilliant. The descriptions paint such a vivid picture at the choice of words make it seem so real. It is very emotional and well written. It actually bought a tear to my eye. Keep writing, well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Jesus the imagery in this is amazing!

it reminds me of several things i have wrote.

Very good job man, very well done

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Maybe I was the only one who didn't quite understand, but why would this man want to sacrifice himself? Did he know Kara? If he did, I didn't grasp that. Other than that, it was a good read. It had my attention the whole way through.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I'm not surprised you didn't get it. This is largely symbolic, and you can.. read more
Kalen Luciano

10 Years Ago

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. I am not very religious myself so I would have never.. read more
Brilliant hun, really enjoyed :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Simply splendid, enjoyed the read and thanks for sharing


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Mike Wolfe

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

595 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on March 17, 2014
Tags: Jesus, Christian, Blood

Author

Mike Wolfe
Mike Wolfe

About
My name is Mike Wolfe, Renaissance man. I have been writing since I was eleven, with over thirty ideas for a book. Only one of these has survived beyond fifty pages and will never see the light of day.. more..

Writing