A Dying Fire

A Dying Fire

A Story by Michael Carr
"

A slow burner. But it might be my masterpiece.

"

 

I awoke to a blaze of white light. I'd been dreaming. I thought I still was. The clock beside me was stuck at 11:11 am. The room was quaint. Simple. Two beds and a small TV. Our luggage bags lay open at the front of the bed, clothes tossed around in all manner of disorganization.

The light was so bright, even filtered through the dirty curtains that separated the room from the balcony and the sea beyond. It was late. I could feel it. Sarah and James should have been back by now. They should have finished swimming long ago. It was late and they weren't here. It was so bright.

I rose slowly, my head swimming. For a moment, I feared I would lose my balance. Then I began to move. The curtain lay still. The air conditioning had died. I reached slowly for the balcony door, grasping its handle tightly. It was warm to the touch. Like the sun had been shining on it for many hours. But it was late.

I pulled the handle. The door slid open and I stepped outside.

The light was blinding. I held my hand up to my eyes as I waited for my sight to return. Something was floating in the air. Snow? Was it snow?

A speck landed on my forearm and I rubbed it away, leaving a gray smudge in its place. It was ash. The balcony floor was covered in ash. My bare feet were covered in it, stained by dead embers. I raised my head and glanced across the earth.

The ocean was on fire.

***

The world is a cold and desolate place. A dead place.

When I glanced across the burning sea I saw everything. I wish I hadn't. Maybe then I'd still find sleep at night, not be afraid to shut my eyes and let the nightmares in. That was two years ago. It haunts me still.

I'm alone under a plastic tarp. I glance at my watch, its battery still dead, its hands stuck at 11:11 am. The same time my son was born. Ironic that it was the perfect time for the world to end.

The sun doesn't shine anymore. At least not enough to escape the wall of clouds above. The rain is always falling. My skin is pale, ghostly, my body thin and frail. I run my hand over my chest, counting my ribs. My arms shake as I pile twigs together. I dig a silver lighter out of my pocket and slowly light a fire, desperatly fanning the flames. I'm cold. The lighter's almost out.

I smile as the fire grows, warming my body. I inch myself closer to the burning pire. My hands nearly touch the flames. I'm staring into the fire, bound by the dancing embers. The flames roar up and singe my hands. I draw back, cursing into the night. Tears run slowly down my face as I sob.

I sob for my family. For myself. For everyone, dead or alive.

My hands ache. I clutch them tight, burying them against my ragged clothes. The rain continues to pour. I continue to weep. The world continues to die.

***

It's funny that the same thing that killed us now keeps us warm and safe. Keeps us alive. I wake to the sound of thunder. The fire is almost out. I dig through the beaten shoulderbag beside me. A few dozen cans of food, a flashlight long dead, a gun with no bullets, and a couple of books. I draw a book from the bag and hold it up in the light. Fahrenheit 451. I chuckle, the dry, half hearted laugh people use to keep from sobbing, as I drop the novel into the fire.

The second book is different. J.D. Salinger. The Catcher in the Rye. I pause as I hold the book over the flames, the light reflecting dully off the white cover.

"What are you reading, dad?"
"A book."
"What kind of book?"
"A grown up book."

"Any pictures?"
"No."
"That's no fun."

I shake myself from the trance. My hand jitters as I lower it, returning the book to the bag. My wallet comes next. I remove the pictures of my family and toss the wallet in. I watch as the leather bubbles, as my money, now no more than tattered paper, browns under the flames.

***

"Mom, you ready?"
"Yes James."

If only...

"You coming, sweetie?"
"I'm too tired. I think I'm gonna take a little cat nap."

If only they'd stayed.

"You sure, dad?"
"Yeah. We'll have plenty of time to swim all this week."

If they'd only stayed with me!

"Oh. See ya!"
"I love you, John."

Maybe I could have saved them!

"I love you too."

Maybe they'd still be with me...

***

Someone's here. Kneeling beside me.

I open my eyes. A figure is digging through my bag. I wait, breathing slowly. The figure continues to shuffle. I leap to my feet, knocking the stranger aside. I draw the pistol from the tote bag and turn to face the thief.

It's a woman.

She lies on her back, her arms raised up in defense. Her hair is matted with dried mud, hiding the ravishing blonde beneath it. Her clothes are like mine, burned and torn. There's a rustle from behind. I turn swiftly.

A young child stands beside a dead tree.

"Don't," the woman whispers.

I face her.

"Don't hurt him. Please."

I stand and hold out my hand. The woman stares suspiciously at my outstretched arm.

"I won't hurt you."
"I've been told that before."

The left side of her face is stained purple, bloated from bruising. Red lashes mark her neck.

"I promise."

Her eyes are blue. The color of the sea. She slowly grasps my hand. The child rushes to his mother's side. His eyes are wide and shining, his hair blonde like his mother's. His legs shake as he clutches his mother's hand.

"Mister, do you have any food?" he asks.

I smile.

"Yes. A little. But it's enough."

***

"I haven't seen him sleep this well in a long time."

The woman sets down her empty tin of corn and hands the spoon back to me. I pop a bottle open and wash the silverware off. Then I toss them back inside the sidepocket of the carry on bag.

"You shouldn't waste water. We don't have much around here," the woman says.

Overhead the rain continues to fall.

I begin to laugh. She joins me. It feels good to laugh. Like a cool drink after hiking across the Sahara. It feels good.

"Where are you heading?" I ask.
"To the sea."
"The sea?"
"Yes."

"There's nothing there."
"Not here. But there have been rumors."
"Rumors?"
"Yes. Rumors about London." she replies.

I raise my brow.

"That people in London managed to control the spread of the fires in some areas."
"Do you really believe that?"
"I have to. For my son. I have to."

I smile.

"My name is John," I say.
"I'm Ann."
"You're insane for believing, Ann."

She smiles back.

"You're crazy for not."

***

"What is your son's name?" I ask.
"Adam. His name is Adam."
"Good name."

I watch the fire as it flickers before me, dancing in the night. The child sleeps.

"What happened to you, John?"
"I lost faith."
"Faith can be regained. Come with us."
"No," I whisper.

Ann touches my shoulder. I pull away.

"There is no hope, Ann."
"There's always hope."
"Everyone is dead. Everyone we ever knew. Everyone we ever loved. What's left to hope for? Why do we want to live?" I ask.
"It's in our nature to survive."
"Well God had different plans."

I begin to dig through my bag. The fire is fading. I pull the copy of The Catcher in the Rye from my bag.

"I read that in high school," Ann says.
"So did I."

I thumb slowly through the pages.

"Do you realize this might be the last copy of this book left?" I ask.

Ann nods.

"I can't burn it. I can't."
"But you say all is lost."

I sigh, watching the dying flames. I reach down and pull the worn shoes from my feet. I remove both socks and toss them into the fire. Ann stares at me as I lace my shoes back up. I meet her gaze.

"I'll just have to tie them tighter."

Ann laughs. I watch her as she meets my eyes and falls silent. She leans forward and kisses my lips. I turn away.

"I'm sorry," she says.
"Don't be."

I lie back and close my eyes, my back turned to Ann and her son.

***

"Take it," I whisper.
"It's too much."
"Take the bag."

The tote bag dangles in my outstretched hand.

"How will you survive? You won't have enough food."
"I'll find a way. If not, then I won't."

Ann shakes as she holds the bag to her chest.

"Come with us. Please, John."
"There's rumors that London's safe, Ann. You still have faith."
"But--"
"Go," I say, placing my hand upon her arm.

She slings the bag over her shoulder and turns away. She begins to make her way down the road.

There are no roads. Only mishapen puddles of tar. Not even the roads are left. But she has hope. She walks. Adam stands before me. He stares up at me with his wide eyes. He speaks.

"Bye, Mister. Thanks for the food."

Then he turns and hurries to his mother's side. I watch until they dissapear beyond the horizon.

***

"What would you do if I died?"
"You're not going to die, Sarah."
"I know. But what would you do?"
"What could I do? I'd be shattered. Broken into pieces."

"But could you go on? For James' sake?"
"Could I go on?"
"Yes."
"I could. I'd find a way."
"Good."

***

The rain has stopped. The fire is dead. I raise my head and stare down the road. I stand quickly, my heart beating like a tribal drum.

I stuff the few cans of food I kept into my pocket. I shake my head and breathe out. Then I'm off, sprinting down the burned road.

***

Up ahead I can hear Adam and his mother. They're screaming. I quickly make my way towards them. Adam lies in the middle of the road, balled up and weeping. Two men stand over them. One holds Ann down as she struggles against his grip. The other rummages through my bag, spilling the contents out across the road. Their hair is ragged, their teeth rotted out. Blood stains are splashed across their clothes.

"Wasn't smart of you to pull an unloaded pistol on us, honey," the man holding Ann says, his voice childish, taunting.

Ann continues to struggle.

"Where'd you get the food?"

He strikes Ann across the face. She crumbles to the ground, moaning in pain.

They haven't noticed me. I crawl slowly towards them. A metal rod lies in a ditch beside me. I snatch it up, holding it firmly in my hands as I advance.

"You gonna tell us where you got the f*****g food?" the scavenger shrieks, moving his hands across Ann's breasts, "or do we need to persuade you?"

He pushes Ann down, buring his fist into her back.

"She needs to be convinced, Charlie. Cut the little runt's throat.
"No!" Ann shrieks, tears running down her face.

The second scavenger turns away from the bag and stares at the crying child. He slowly moves toward Adam, drawing a rusty switchblade from his pocket.

I leap from the ditch, the iron rod raised. The scavenger doesn't have time to react before the rod connects with the side of his face. His teeth shatter in a spray of blood as he stumbles back away from Adam. The knife drops from his hand. I strike him again. His blood stains my shirt. He falls to the ground. I hit him two more times until I'm sure he lies still, then I turn and face the other man.

His eyes are wide, his mouth agap. He release Ann who scrambles away to her son. I watch his hands as I advance, my makeshift weapon raised. He draws a blade from his shirt pocket. His hand shakes. A wet spot spreads across his tattered jeans.

"You can leave now," I whisper, "we don't have to do this."
"You're dead."

He sprints forward. I swing for his head. The scavenger drops to the ground, dodging the rod and leaps forward, driving the knife into my stomach. I grunt as the switchblade exits and reenters. Blood trickles down my waist. I fall to my knees. The scavenger stands over me.

"You know I might not kill you. No, I might let you watch. Would that be okay?" he asks.

I spit in his face.

"That's not a nice gesture. You need to learn some manners. I can teach you to--"

The scavenger stops, his words cut off. Ann stands behind him. She holds the other switchblade. It's buried to the hilt in the man's throat. He gasps as he falls to the ground, blood jetting from his neck. He's dead.

I now realize what a great deal of pain I'm in. I drop to the ground. Ann hurries to me, clutching me in her arms. She's babbling and crying, holding her hands over my wounds. Blood pools between her finger. So much. Who knew I had so much blood?

"John. Oh God, John! Don't do this! Please don't leave us here!"

I raise my finger to her lips. She falls silent.

I see my family.

"Gather all the food up. Put it back into the bag. The pistol, the flashlight, all of it. Take their knives. Give one to Adam. He needs to learn to defend himself."

They're standing in the middle of the road.

"Take the book. Keep it safe. Don't burn it. No matter what."

Blood has pooled around my sides. Ann is nodding. Adam stands beside me, watching quietly.

My family is behind them. They're coming into view. The road isn't black. It's gold. Bright and beautiful.

"When Adam is old enough, read him the book."
"Ok."
"Read it."

The trees are in bloom. The sun shines high overhead.

"Mister," Adam says.

I turn my head to face the child.

"Thank you for saving our lives."

I smile. I can't breathe.
Ann is crying. She holds me close.

"You're getting blood all over yourself, Ann," I whisper.

James and Sarah stand behind her. They're smiling. My son and wife are smiling. I raise myself up to Ann and whisper weakly in her ear.

"Thank you."

I breathe.

© 2009 Michael Carr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Personally, I think it's amazing that "The Catcher in the Rye" was included in this story. A book about Caulfield and his emotional problems damnnear featured in a story with a main character who has about the same status. :P That was genius, buddy. It pretty much serves as a symbol. ;) Ahh, I love that story... I need to read it again. :)

Anyways, this really was a great story! It's very reminiscent of the movie/novel "I Am Legend"--minus the zombie-like creatures. lol! The ending was actually pretty perfect. ^^ So I'm very satisfied! :D Thanks for posting this one; it truly is a masterpiece.

Ironically Yours.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ryn
I know this was posted so long ago, but I love it so much. It reminds me of The Road by McCarthy, which is a book I love.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I really loved this. I almost cried. What does a man who has lost everything have left to live for? Maybe he can live for someone else, who has so much still left to lose. I admire John.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hope and hopelessness; but there was hope or a longing behind the hopelessness. The scene's desolation is vivid. A good setting. Thanks for the read. Linda

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm no0t even going to lie, you almost brought tears to my eyes.

This is yet another amazing story. Someone plain is thrown into a horrendous situation. I was moved by this, even though it had a "I am Legend" feel (minus the vampire/zombie things) and the isolation was definitly there.

please keep writing, i love reading your stories.

cole-

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good read. I loved the whole concept of it, and am only dissapointed that you didn't take it further into a full length book since the characters are remarkable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A speck landed on my forearm and I rubbed it away, leaving a gray smudge in its place. It was ash. The balcony floor was covered in ash. My bare feet were covered in it, stained by dead embers. I raised my head and glanced across the earth.

The ocean was on fire.

Was just amazing as was the whole story!!!! i fell in love with this piece... you have talent and lots of it!!! Keep putting it to good use!!!!

Lacey

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Even though it was hard to get into, I eventually found myself ensnared by words. The beginning was filled with so much pointless detail, I felt like skipping it. There are only a few relevant things included. You carry dialogue well; it's one of your strong points. What initially drew me into the story was the fire. I have an absurd fascination with it, and it plays an important role in this piece, as if it is a character. Even though the exact situation with the raging fire is not clarified, it doesn't have to be. I could feel the characters' pain, Ann's hope and and John's lack thereof. Two completely different characters trying to survive. It's something beautiful. Even though I'm partial to The Catcher in the Rye, I love how it is placed in this story and how it thrives. Even though John lost everything, he doesn't want this book to burn.
All in all, this is a brilliant story that I enjoyed. I only found one grammar error, but that's because I'm too keen for my own good.
-Godspeed

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello michael,

I'd like to begin by saying this is very promising. You've got a good amount to work with here. a well thought out story. but it isn't finished yet! you've got enough here for a good size novel. I say this in all my reviews: dwell. dwell on the moments, the thoughts, the actions. let your story digress. explore your own mind through your story. that's what separates the novalist from the hobby writer. you have the framework right here, now pitch the tent.

I fell I should tell you that this probably will not place in my contest, but only because this has so much more potential. and you will be recieving a very high score frome me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a beautiful story. Brilliant imagery. And I loved the little flashbacks of dialog.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, no words execpt wow. Very good, well written. It was a captivating story. Keep writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1262 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on August 1, 2008
Last Updated on February 16, 2009

Author

Michael Carr
Michael Carr

Prosper, TX



About
My name is Michael Carr. I'm 20 years old now, god help me, attending UTD on a full ride scholarship in the Biology pre-Med program. IF YOU ARE READING THROUGH MY WORK FOR THE FIRST TIME, PLEASE HE.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Buttons Buttons

A Story by Michael Carr