She said

She said

A Story by Mila
"

What's wrong with being a woman, exactly?

"

She said

 

“Of course I’m a woman.” She said, while holding a small child in her arms. She was single mother who worked two jobs while juggling trying to raise a child in a dangerous area. Her pay was significantly less than her male co-workers, and society told her she was mooching off the government. Her heart broke some nights because she didn’t think they would make it, and still the world frowned on her for attempting to pick herself up when the man pushed her down.

 

Was it her fault that the father of her child left them? Was it her fault that she wanted one less criminal on the streets? Was it her fault that she wanted her child to know that even though their father left, that their mother would always be there?

 

“What’s wrong with being a working mother?” She asked, confused.

 

XXX

 

“Of course I’m a woman.” She said, walking to class on a sunny day with her backpack full of books and her headphones in as the wind blew through her hair. She wasn’t a straight A student, but she worked hard every night while her friends partied. Even so, she didn’t understand why the guys on her campus gave her looks for wearing shorts on a hot summer’s day. She was something more than the object of their desires, but somewhere in her heart she had a feeling she would never be their boss.

 

Was it her fault that she still worked hard every single night? Was it her fault that she had dreams? Was it her fault that hot weather was a reason to wear shorts instead of jeans? Since when did articles of clothing defined her as a person?

 

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” She asked, confused.

 

XXX

 

“Of course I’m a woman.” She said, straightening out her suit as she walked out of the courtroom. She had won her case, but still fought every day to win the respect of her male co-workers. She had graduated first of her class at Yale School of Law, and had a record being a popularly successful attorney. But often she felt weighed down by the expectations of her trade, expectations she knew were impossible for her to achieve without losing a part of herself.

 

Was it her fault that she was a success? Was it her fault that she won fair and square? Who decided her worth in the courtroom save for those who came ot her asking for her help? How was it an issue of hers when the ego of her male opponent was shattered when her case won over theirs?

 

“What’s wrong with me winning?” She asked, confused.

 

XXX

 

“Of course I’m a woman.” She said, trying to ignore the hateful looks the world shot at her. She couldn’t look at herself sometimes, because she kept thinking that trying to justify what she had done made her a horrible person. There were men all around her telling her that she was a demon and a murderer, and the world backed them up. She aborted a child because she couldn’t afford one, so clearly she was a coward.

 

Was it her fault that it was her choice? Was it her fault that she didn’t have the money to support the child the way she wanted? Was it her fault that she couldn’t bear to be reminded of where that child came from? Why was it that those who would never understand her situation decide her fate? Who were they to judge her?

 

“What’s wrong with trying to move on?” She asked, confused.

 

XXX

 

“Of course I’m a woman.” She said, curling her hair and adding final touches to her face. Finals week had just concluded and she and everyone else were getting ready to go party and de-stress. Still, she had to change her outfit for or five times because she was afraid she would give people in the club the wrong impression. She was a pharmacy student, but one short skirt would have her pegged as a brainless party girl.

 

Was it her fault that she wanted to dress nice for a change? Did it have to be such a bad thing for her to want to show her body? Was it her problem that men couldn’t keep it together when they saw a skirt? Why did she have to be afraid to express herself?

 

“What’s wrong with what I look like?” She asked, confused.

 

XXX

 

“Of course we are women.” Said the single mother, the college student, the attorney, the woman who made a choice, and the future pharmacist. In truth, there was one thing that connected them to each other besides their gender: they did not owe anyone anything.

 

“There is nothing wrong with being a working mother.”

 

“There is nothing wrong with what I’m wearing.”

 

“There is nothing wrong with me winning.”

 

“There is nothing wrong with me trying to move on.”


“There is nothing wrong with how I look.”

 

There is nothing wrong with being a woman. 

© 2015 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
One of my really close friends is an avid feminist and, though I don't always identify as one, it is impossible for me to not write about the struggles I've seen women go through. Each one of these stories is based on something either I've experienced or something someone I know has experience. The second one is my story.
Hope you enjoyed! :)
Reviews=motivation!

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'll have to preface this review by stating that as a man, it's hard to realize how much we put women through. I know that's most likely been said by a thousand people in a thousand different ways, but trust me when I tell you that I mean it. My life has been occupied by some great women, all of whom have gone through things that no person should have to, I greatly respect them. I greatly respect you as well for writing this piece. It's not easy to tell people they've been doing something wrong or should consider what the repercussions their actions might have without being 'preachy', but you did it quite nicely. Your message is solid. My only complaint? Too short! More please Miss.Mila. Thanks again.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!! :) And respect and kudos to you for having the mindset for change. Men and wom.. read more



Reviews

Nice, definitely well worth the read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
Am spell bound. Its Powerful. Definitely leaves an impact. i would like to share this write up with others.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)
Considering all the pain women goes through and look at this world, you can't see that pain diminishing any time. I mean, here in India these things are so common. The families are trying to give better life to their daughters but this bloody society is like a crab, dragging them down if they try come and speak for themselves. It's good to see, many women are independent and they don't give a damn about chauvinist leaders. I like the way you written it, for every question there is a story behind which described the situation really well. Good Job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
There is nothing wrong with being a woman.

It is one of most powerful write dear friend.
Women are more powerful than any man. They are more strength than an single man. They are most amazing than any hansom man. The are always ahead with men.
It is wonderful write dear friend.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
Powerful and true words. It's the struggle we all, as women, face from the cradle to the grave. The stats are alarming on all that women still have to surmount.

NOTES: This one needs quite a bit of copy editing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!!
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

yw :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
FNG
Other than one spelling error in the second story, it was amazing. And spelling doesn't take away from the point that is put across, very clearly. ^_^

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thanks :):):)
The third and the fourth story, by the way, are very similar to that of Wendy Davis, Texas state senator and gubernatorial candidate, who pulled herself up from practically nothing while raising her children. Whose story in turn reminds me of Gov. Ann Richards.

I am simply in awe of this tremendous write that succinctly expresses our situation as women. I've thought lately that younger woman had abandoned the feminist principles for which those who came just before me worked so hard. But I see that's not so true. And it prompted intelligent reactions like those of Watcher. One cant' ask for more from a story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Jennie! I'm glad you can relate to this as I hope many others can as well! :)
I'll have to preface this review by stating that as a man, it's hard to realize how much we put women through. I know that's most likely been said by a thousand people in a thousand different ways, but trust me when I tell you that I mean it. My life has been occupied by some great women, all of whom have gone through things that no person should have to, I greatly respect them. I greatly respect you as well for writing this piece. It's not easy to tell people they've been doing something wrong or should consider what the repercussions their actions might have without being 'preachy', but you did it quite nicely. Your message is solid. My only complaint? Too short! More please Miss.Mila. Thanks again.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!! :) And respect and kudos to you for having the mindset for change. Men and wom.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

737 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 14, 2015
Last Updated on February 24, 2015
Tags: feminism, woman, stories, individuality, life

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mortality Mortality

A Poem by Deepika


Those hands Those hands

A Poem by Avinash