Mother India

Mother India

A Story by Mila
"

Written by an Indian girl who is tired of looking at her country and seeing the horrible things that go on.

"

Mother India



 

When I was growing up, my mother told me these things:

 

Don’t look at men in the eyes.

 

Don’t wear showy clothes.

 

If an older man is staring at you, ignore him.

 

Try and cover yourself up more.

 

Don’t draw attention to yourself.

 

Well, why did she tell me these things? She didn’t want me to get hurt? She thought men would harm me if I displayed my femininity?

 

Why did she tell me those things?

 

In India, I can’t wear shorts in over a hundred degree weather, simply because men will catcall me, touch me, harass me… try to rape me.

 

In India, I can’t go out after dark, simply because men will catcall me, touch me, harass me… try to rape me.

 

In India, victim blaming is more than a commonality, it’s expected.

 

Don’t go out late at night.

 

Don’t wear shorts in hot temperatures.

 

Don’t wear your hair down.

 

Don’t show too much skin.

 

If you leave a diamond in the street a thief will surely pick it up.

 

What do you do with a diamond? You secure and protect it. You shelter it and make sure it never sees the light of day save to display it for the enjoyment of others. They are objects of fascination, something everyone wants to touch.

 

Yes, you can say that women aren’t objects. Yet you can justify comparing women to diamonds.

 

I’ll sweat to keep myself from being assaulted by men who are sexually frustrated, and I will do it happily… because I don’t want my parents to think that they raised someone who likes to tempt men.

 

I’ll tie my hair up. Those long locks of dark hair that I thought would make me look classy and elegant are just another temptation factor for men.

 

I am not the owner of my body, fear is.

 

I fear the inferiors… and for what?

 

Do you even know who built India? Do you even stop to think about those things when you cat call, touch, harass or try to rape a girl that you don’t know? A girl whose life you’re making miserable because you are ‘just a guy and don’t know any better’?

 

Mothers built India.

 

In India’s history, we have Queens. Goddesses. Intellectuals. Mother’s of Kings, mothers of Prime Ministers, mothers of doctors, lawyers, businessmen… everything that has ever brought India to the face of the world has come forth from a mother. A woman.

 

Why do you think we call her Mother India?

 

You worship the Mother Goddess one night and rape a woman the other?

 

Do you think that you can catcall a girl on the street because you have some sort of power over her? Do you think that just because the authorities are on your side, you can get away with it?

 

We see you, you know. Mothers never forget. Your ancestors who fought, bleed, wept, sweat, and died to bring you the India you have now watch you and think… ‘This is what I sacrificed for?’

 

When you walk into your Mandir, you might as well keep your shoes on. Don’t wash your hands when you touch the idols. Don’t touch the feet of your elders. Don’t get on your knees and bow your head down in front of God.

 

What good will any of that do you?  They saw you when you thought you were untouchable. When you were catcalling, touching, harassing or raping that girl, they saw you.

 

Every time you destroy a girl, you destroy a Mother India.

 

Every time you destroy a man, you destroy a son of Mother India.

 

Every time you destroy anyone, you destroy a child of Mother India.

 

So tell me, now that you’ve been so humbled… why do you think my mother told me those things?

© 2015 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
This was actually requested for me to write from one of my friends. She asked me if I wrote anything about India, and I said that I try to avoid it because everything I have to say about it makes me either angry or sad, and that wouldn't be right to say about my country especially so soon after Holi. She merely said that there is no better reason to write about one's country, so I gave it some thought, and then wrote this down.
I hope you guys like it, sorry if it got too graphic!
Reviews=motivation!!

-Mila

(That being said I do have a Holi story coming up!!)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. Amazing and so touching. This kind of thing goes on in sooo many places, all over the world. I've never been to India and it wouldn't be right for me to say I understand because of stories that have come out of your country but I feel for you. And about the Goddesses, your so right, in fact so many of the people who have made impact on this world in general are women. Yet some people still don't understand that. Supremacy in all forms has always fascinated me, whats the point? I think you've told a wonderful story that would make an awesome speech. In fact you'd make an awesome politician. Good job :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)



Reviews

That's an unfortunate part of my country. However, covering up is not again helping. It was or is never about how much skin you flash as a lady, it's about sick minded people who fail to understand the dignity of a woman. The situation is bad and perhaps is becoming more worse with days and your writing reflects that little brutal truth, the truth which as an Indian ashamed me at least. I might guess there are a lot who feels like me yet we are outnumbered by the ruthlessness of a handful of perverts.

The mothers are just a bit careful of their daughters and it is their care that makes them say those words. Also no mother teaches their son to disrespect women. But a few sons do learn that.

While this is a gruesome piece of India and I really did love your writing, I am still happy to be an Indian, perhaps proud for my country has a lot good to offer. Thinking of India doesn't make me unhappy...no never. Whatever India is with it's good and bad I am a part of it and equally responsible for both of it's traits.

Your perspective doesn't make me feel like you will ever write anything more on India but your sharp and fluent writing on the goods of the country would definitely be good to read.

Cheers!!!
Dipanjan

Posted 8 Years Ago


great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!
I agree.
"Every time you destroy a girl, you destroy a Mother India.
Every time you destroy a man, you destroy a son of Mother India.
Every time you destroy anyone, you destroy a child of Mother India. "
The artwork and words. Needed to be read and understood. I like poetry and thoughts from other places in our world. Good writer teach and show new things and places. You did. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tks
Besides saying the cliché "amazing writing" and "I enjoyed it so much", this struck a powerful chord with me, Mila. It is sad that your mother had to tell you that, because her mother had to tell her that, and so on. My own parents are susceptible to it too. I firmly believe that this piece should be shared as much as possible. Kudos!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!
Mila, you raise some very great points! First I would like to start off with high-fifing you on pointing something out that need not happen in society, but it does because of our humanity. No matter how much you cover man will never lose his sense of attraction for woman. You can say men are dogs. As for the cat-calls, that shows a lack of a father raising their sons to respect women and for their obvious beauty they bring into the world. The same can be said for those that choose to rape women for their own self gratifying pleasures. I have two daughters that I feel I'm raising them to be 100% woman, but also aware of that boys (men) are not all like their dad. A real man respects women, meaning he'll bring no harm their way. A great piece you have here!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!!
Mila,
What you have written here is so courageous. Most people spend their entire lives trying to get in touch with the truth and they cannot. Brave people stepping forward to tell the truth are the catalyst for change how ever long it may take. India is an extremely beautiful place that is struggling with a sad issue. As you so perfectly pointed out morality lies in the hearts of people. Immorality can exist anywhere....and does. One has only to look around us in the states and numbers of homeless hungry people not fed or the current disaster of our law enforcement system to see that. I hope that sooner rather than later the culture of your beautiful country will overcome this immorality which it is struggling with and all the beauty that is India and her people can be held up as an example of the change that is possible if we all try to make our world a better place for all of us.

Best Wishes
Sand Miller

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!
Strikingly profound, especially in the light of so much pain and fear that only seems to be growing... I was in a discussion this morning about the darkening roles of men in various cultures... the blaming of women for the weaknesses of men... growing lack of love and respect and honor... for all really, for when women are devalued, all people are devalued... I am grateful to you for sharing your heart and soul with us... wanting there to be a change. It's so desperately needed... and long overdue.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. And I totally agree! :)
Wow... I don't know what to say. This kinda scared me actually. Very powerful writing. Left me without words....
Keep up the good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!!
a beautiful job,but a sad write.it should not be that way at all
you have no freedom at all,a prisoner in your own land
and there is a lot of beautiful and intelligent women from india

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!
 wordman

8 Years Ago

you are welcome
Well written! And so true, what has become of our country, the way you have executed you message couldn't have been better. Thank you for sharing.

-Shivai

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2367 Views
25 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 9, 2015
Last Updated on March 10, 2015
Tags: India, Mother, Crime, Rape, Assault, Daughters, Shameful

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila