The Path Ends Here

The Path Ends Here

A Story by Mila
"

Home is where the heart is... but sometimes it's where all the answers are too.

"

The Path Ends Here

 

Going home, going home,

I’m just going home.

Quiet-like, some still day,

I’m just going home.

 

Bags were packed, but still scattered all over the floor of her home. Somewhere in the mess there was a note she had hastily written to her mother, one that she never actually got to send. She had not spoken to her family in years, how would they take her return? Would they turn her away? Would they reject her?

 

Glancing out the window, she sighed when she saw the road that led from her place. It was long, but the sun still shone in the sky. If she left now, at this very moment, maybe she would make it home in time for dinner.

 

That was if she left without taking anything with her. Maybe that was for the best. After all, the journey wouldn’t seem so long if she rid herself of any heavy weights.

 

With that thought, she stooped down and snatched up the note. Then, not looking back at the disarray of her things, she stepped out into the fresh sunlight, and started on the path homewards.

 

It’s not far, just close by,

Through an open door.

Work all done, cares laid by,

Going to fear no more.

 

The road never seemed to stop, and though there was a need to get home as soon as possible, she did not rush. Memories flooded her mind of what was, and ideas and visions of what could be.

 

But she didn’t know if every step she took brought her closer to home or farther and farther away.

 

Perhaps she was making a mistake. Note still in hand, she stopped, afraid of what she would walk into if she returned home, wondering if she should turn back and forget about this.

 

Mother’s there, expecting me,

Father’s waiting too.

Lots of folk gathered there,

All the friends I knew.

 

If she spent her life fearing what she thought would go wrong, she would lose out on maybe everything that could go right. And she wanted to see her family again. She wanted to see them…

 

So why weren’t her feet moving?

 

Nothing’s lost, all’s gain,

No more fret nor pain.

No more stumbling on the way,

No more longing for the day.

 

Finally she willed her feet to move. But the pace she walked at continued to be slow. Still, the road never stopped, it kept moving… and she had to move with it or risk being lost.

 

Going to roam no more…

 

She found her footing, and she moved faster. She pushed all fears out of her mind, even though they tried their best to clutch on. She had spent all her life fearing so much and neglecting to ever try. She didn’t realize until now how much it had affected her.

 

She wanted to go home.

 

Morning star lights the way,

Restless dreams all done.

Shadow’s gone, break of day,

Real life’s just begun.

 

She was running now, running so fast that she could have sworn that time had to struggle to keep up with her. What had started as a journey of confusion and fear of the unknown had swiftly turned into one of desperation.

 

What did she have to be afraid of?

 

There’s no break, here’s no end,

Just a living on.

Wide awake with a smile,

Going on and on.

 

She skidded to a halt in front of the next house over. The moon now hung over her head and she could feel the warmth of the interior. Her heart was racing, her hair was windswept. Somewhere along the way, she had lost the note she had written to her mother, but what did she need it for anyways?

 

Everything she had to say, she would say in person. Written words weren’t enough.

Going home, going home,

I’m just going home.

 

Stepping forward, she knocked on the door.

 

It’s not far, just close by,

Through an open door.

 

The door opened, and she could feel the tears streaming down her face. Her mother stood there, a knowing smile on her face.

 

“I knew you would come,” she whispered, tears of her own running down her cheeks.

 

“You… you knew I would?”

 

“Of course,” she placed a hand on her heart. “I always did. Right here.”

 

“I’m so sorry, mother,” she sobbed. “I’m so sorry, I was lost. I lost my way.”

 

“You’re home now,” she said, taking her daughter in her arms and stroking her hair. “You’re safe.”

 

“You mean you won’t turn me away?”

 

“Never,” she kissed the top of her head. “Welcome home.”

 

She shut her eyes, then… and with no more fears plaguing her mind, she let go of her last hold, and in the distance, the sound of the flat line echoed through the cold, lonely halls.

 

When darkness set in, the road was at an end. She entered her home, into the welcoming embrace of her family.

 

I’m just going home.

© 2015 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
(Based on the song by Dvorak)
So I get to go home tomorrow after my final, and I was just thinking about how it is with college students, that we love our freedom so much, but when we go home, it's such a freeing feeling that you can never get used to or enough of. That home is wherever you feel safe, not always where your family is. For me, it's where my baby, Gatsby (my dog), is, and my mom's home cooking! :)
Where's home for you????

Reviews=motivation!

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Home. A blessed word.
“You mean you won’t turn me away?”

“Never,” she kissed the top of her head. “Welcome home.”
In war or any type of separation. Home give people hope and purpose to survive. I like the old saying. "Home is where the love is." Thank you for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

So glad that you enjoyed, thank you!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.



Reviews

Home. A blessed word.
“You mean you won’t turn me away?”

“Never,” she kissed the top of her head. “Welcome home.”
In war or any type of separation. Home give people hope and purpose to survive. I like the old saying. "Home is where the love is." Thank you for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

So glad that you enjoyed, thank you!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
What a beautiful, rhythmic journey home! You fill this with such wondrous emotion and deeply personal reflections, yet find a way to connect readers to your path... and help us find the richness in our own paths as well. Brilliant! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!! :)
Mila, thanks for the read request -- I'm honored to read your work. I read the story through and I like it, especially the message of the prodigal returning and being embraced by a mother whose unconditional love is a marvel. The poetic segments interspersed throughout are effective and lyrical. I did notice a few areas that might benefit from editing. For example, "Glancing out the window, she sighed when she saw the road that led from her place. It was long, but the sun still shone in sky" -- I would remove "In the sky" since that does not add information -- the sun is always "in the sky." Another area: Maybe that was for the best. After all, the journey wouldn’t seem so long if she rid herself of any heavy weights. "Any heavy weights" seems awkward to me -- perhaps "if she rid herself of excess." or "pared down to essentials." There are other areas as well where editing could increase the emotional impact and tighten the writing. There are so many jewels (as is usual with your writing). I love the thought of fear may protect from the negative but also prohibits one from experiencing the positive. Also, your use of "flat line" at the end introduces the thought that the protagonist dies in the end -- a little enigmatic twist which is very intriguing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the edits and the review!! Always appreciated! :)
this is such an emotional read, i can move with each emotion girl faced when she moved to her home..indeed your home is the best place, wherever you go...the strings that bind a family will always pull you there...this is an outstanding read, beautifully written, keep writing, I believe you will surely do magic with your stories..stay blessed...:)..:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tks
An enchanting read, Mila..it is really inspiring to see that the thought of home and your mother could evoke such passionate emotions. It was wonderful to see your persona overcome her fear, her hesitation, and how she dropped everything just to fly back home. The ending line is hauntingly nostalgic..I'm just going home :)

Oh, it would be a great pleasure if you could leave a small positive review for my books in the links below:) thank you so much!
http://www.amazon.com/Cats-invasion-story-T-K-Singh-ebook/dp/B00TZHHI9U/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1424928880&sr=1-2&keywords=cats%21

http://www.amazon.com/Waves-Whisper-Magical-Journey-ebook/dp/B00V3PSGMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1427420188&sr=1-1&keywords=the+waves+whisper
Have a good day ahead!! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!
Compelling and touching! I love this and especially the way the song is woven into it. Of course the notion of going home is connected with death here. However, to me home is my cozy little house where my hubby and our pets live. Somehow, as the Beatles song says, when I'm home, everything seems to be right.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thanks! :) and I totally agree!
forget about this. (forget about the whole thing)
then… (and omit) with no more fears plaguing her mind,
Did the girl die?
Home is where your welcomed in your best and worst state of mind. It's the place where you learn forgiveness and love. It's the place where you learn that no matter what struggles you go through in life you can be assured you'll be loved even when you feel you don't deserve to be. That's home to me. Good write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the notes! And yes,I agree :)
And did she indeed? :) haha

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

835 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2015
Last Updated on July 2, 2015
Tags: home, journey, the end, family, Dvorak

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..