My observations 2 (Journal)

My observations 2 (Journal)

A Story by Shaun Rudie
"

These are my observations of interesting things sent to my dear friend via iPhone text. Numerically it continues from the first journal.

"
21
(life drawing)
Sent on Jun 1, 2011
He poses, elegant, soft brown frame a still caricature held by a thought, only his blood pumping heart pushing at the stillness is breathing relaxed gentle, raising shoulder to fall on exhale, rise again and in step to soft beat, the music on the radio.

He is in a forest of pencil scratch, nodding heads referencing line and proportion. A throat clears, a body shifts as canvas is pressed into, slid over.

The woman in purple gazes over her bifocals.

My right-hand friend looks at me and smiles as I watch her erase part of his head, her left hand a resting perch for her mouth, her index finger pressed just below her nose, I think she would enjoy a beard.

An orange shirt next to her has been trying to get my attention, I've ignored it until now. The man in it is kind, knows how to wear a smile, his left palm a perch for the side of his head.

I look up, the soft brown model is still frozen in time.

Purple woman chats to Kathy, she has a unique, humorous voice spilling words her bifocals never see.

Cathy is a child, we all are, she just displays it better, she directs the evening and is tickled by the personalities around her. When drawing she doesn't perch her head, rather tilts it sideways so her eyes can feed her mind the way it rests.

I find a home here with my friend, she has brought me to a place of freedom, where, among them, I can even draw with my words...and no one questions my art.








 22
Sent Jun 4, 2011
In all these faces...people bring w them their personal cultures, to blend, showcase...on the same limbs, with the same mouths, different shaped and colored bodies, but all gathering, heeding a genetic call to assemble, seek, share, be noticed. People seek familiar as a base to sprout wings, be free. Too much variation and the wings fall off for some. Uncertainty is seldom greeted as adventure...the best place to "fly" in








23
(food court, people watching)
Sent Jun 4, 2011
Big people drawing little people in their wake. There's actually a woman, mother of one, dressed as a queen - literally - puffy sleeve blouse, fabric gold crown.. her reign over the food court is assured. 
I settle in my seat amid the chatter and clatter, the hiss of food on several grills, the background drone music, no doubt to connect it all. Two tables over an attractive woman with European features sits with her son and parents. She smiled at me as she sat, and then slightly embarrassed looked away, still retaining the smile.
There are a lot of attractive people here, though I admit my taste of attractive is unique, though perhaps not completely uncommon...I laugh at myself, the European woman wears a dress with a patchwork flannel pattern, light cotton, not true flannel, but that alone probably grabbed my subconscious. I have an attraction for such. Part of me says it's cozy, snuggly warm on a cold night, and that the wearer is strong. My pleasant oddity.







24
(food court with my friend: 24, 25, 26, 27)
Sent Jun 8, 2011

We amuse ourselves almost beyond comprehension. Stark observations, people to animal, a young lady with a stork gait texting and oblivious the pool of water. She diverted, but we could easily have seen her standing in it, one leg raised as she continued to text to her bird friend.







25

Sent Jun 8, 2011

A man's head in the center of his chest, neck injury of some sort, his round frame a perfect caricature for my friend's eager pencil, nearly Tweedle-Dum. We are silent, observe as children with new eyes as he and his other pass. We stay silent, he doesn't bring us humor...though her pencil giggles








26

Sent Jun 8, 2011

He pulled it up too fast, a little overfilled man in rigid, clean pants, business casual, a walk-alone kind of guy completely unaware of his tissue paper statement of "I have just gone to the bathroom" hanging from the back of his belt. We giggle profusely, nearly to tears, amusing ourselves how we could broach the observation to the poor man. It is impossible to move one's feet to do good when delicious evil giggle tremors course through you.








27

Sent Jun 8, 2011

Peculiar the rotation, an errant, thin, intense, dark-haired satellite caught in his grandmother's gravity well. She moves along, only briefly perturbed when he snaps back to toss intense language back at her, fingers pinching the air. She is a slow comet, steadily passing between us and the fountain, passing through the remainder of her life she has chosen. He is a man-child forever.

We look at each other, giggles spurt up confused as we take it in, trying to make sense of the pure oddity. Our laughter is usually sane, it is having difficulty with what we see (but not so much we don't shake a little)










28

Sent Jun 18, 2011 (food court IKEA)

Though I try not to make a mess, four-napkins-wise prepares me for the inevitable. One wonders how gravy manages to paint my knuckle, but then interesting people distracts my mind from my fork and wah-la, I am a food painter.

A lady watches me. I suppose I make an interesting enough fixture at this table, white shirt, curious eyes darting and catching personalities. A few people repeatedly glance at me, trying to discern my story as I write/absorb theirs










29 

Sent Jun18, 2011 (food court IKEA)

One lady gives me the impression of a bowling pin w legs, even has the potential of a red-fluted penguin because of her shirt. Seems she would fall over easily if pushed. Not very aware of her surroundings, so she almost invites it, yes?

A young lady straight out of an 80s Pat Benatar video, clothing, hair, posture, confident, she is the star of her own presence. She draws the eye...and mind, it seems.

There are large women and men, hulking caricatures of human form, colors and pattern stretched to their limits. And gentlemen who so infuse the word they blur the boundary between masculine and feminine. One seemingly a pale imitation of either, sad in a way, his personality seemingly diminished because of the "norm". He gives way to others who pass before him. 

A family of four pass by my table, I instantly like them. I immediately know they know what's important. Close family knit, thread of trust and respect for each other woven about them. They are a peaceful demonstration as they eat, generating their own field. 


© 2011 Shaun Rudie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
Added on June 4, 2011
Last Updated on June 18, 2011
Tags: observations, test message, life, people, living

Author

Shaun Rudie
Shaun Rudie

Tampa, FL



About
5,000 words a day. Yeah, really. I challenged myself and met the challenge for 8 days straight. I write about it, and the craft of writing, here: http://writeku.com I have a novel here: www... more..

Writing