THE BROKEN WARRIORS

THE BROKEN WARRIORS

A Story by AKANSHA
"

During these trying times Doctors and healthcare workers are our ultimate warriors.

"

It  was one of those lazy Sunday afternoons in the streets of Kolkata . Asraf  was sitting motionless on his chair. It was a heavy downpour ….. the window of his house had become hazy due to the rain . As drops of rain slowly kissed the rooftops of his two storeyed  house   Asraf began thinking  about how his happy life turned into a melancholic one within such a short span of time. It felt like yesterday he was having a good deal of family time.

        Asraf is a doctor working in Amri Hospital , Kolkata.  During these trying times he has been constantly present there to look after the ailing patients. Every evening of him would be spent in  either video calling and briefing the patient relatives about the condition of their patients or sending the  deceased bodies to the morchery. Human- being is a man of emotions  but experiencing such widespread emotions everyday was becoming a bit too more for Asraf but still he considered his supreme duty to be beside mankind in these times of need. After all his profession was a noble one and serving mankind was one of the best ways in which he could do it.

                                            Asraf’s family was a small but happy one . His wife was a social worker and his daughter Alizeh studied in class two. Asraf’s father had lost his life in a car accident a few months back and the entire family especially Asraf was trying to deal with the absence of his father. His father was his only constant in life . His mother was there but she never really understood him so the chemistry never really happened between both of them. Asraf always longed for that chemistry but everyone doesn’t get everything in life so the bond between his father and himself was indeed strong and unique. Alizeh was lucky in this case because she had that ‘ special bonding’ with her parents.

                               Asraf always knew that he was facing a challenge which was a threat to his family ‘s life as well as his. Afterall the second wave of the pandemic was far more deadly  than the first wave. In every namaaz prayer that came out of his soul he prayed for just two things- For the pandemic to end and his family and fellow human brothers and sisters to stay safe and protected. The pandemic had really shaken the nerves of everyone.

It was a normal Monday morning.  Asraf got up at 6 a.m. prepared bed tea for his family , woke them up and then went to take a bath.  As he came out of his bath his daughter suddenly came and hugged. It was not a warm and comforting hug… it was a hug of fear and insecurity . Asraf was scared  a bit but he did not let his fear get the better of him.

“Alizeh my princess why are you so scared my child ?’’ asked Asraf.

“Abbu don’t go to office today.” Said an horrified Alizeh.

Asraf was a little tensed. Alizeh always loved and respected doctors… then why suddenly is she behaving in this way ?

Alizeh elaborated. “ Abbu today in the newspaper there was a news that a doctor has  died doing his covid duty…. Please don’t leave ammi and me alone and go” said Alizeh her eyes swelling with tears.

Asraf sat down on a chair… took his daughter into his arms and told her that her abbu is a warrior and fighting  against a strong enemy.

‘’ So are you Superman abbu ?” asked Alizeh trying to control her overbursting emotions.

Asraf  hugged his little princess took his stethoscope and bag and got into his car.

On the way to his office Alizeh’s  innocent  and helpless face kept on appearing in front of Asraf. For the first time he felt the pain of  emotional separation. The mere thought of losing a loved one shaked all the nerves of his body.  Asraf reached his office and went on his usual round.

  It was one ‘o’ clock in the afternoon. Asraf sat down for his lunch. He decided to give a call to his daughter for she was quite depressed in the morning. As he was going to call his daughter a nurse came running frantically towards him.

“Doctor, Bed number 234 is very critical “

Asraf immediately ran upstairs. The entire day passed. It was time to finally remove his PPE suit and be a little comfortable. It was a hard day but Asraf was getting used to it . Seeing people fighting for oxygen cylinders and familes of dead people standing motionless beside their lost loved ones was regular scenes at the hospital. Asraf returned home but somehow felt that things were not going right. Alizeh usually sees him from the window but today she was not there. Asraf quickly went to his room, took a bath and went to the living room. There was an awkward silence in the house.  Asraf decided to go and check out . As he went to check in his wife Ruksana’s room he saw that she was not there . Just when he was returning he heard a sobbing sound from Alizeh’s room. He quickly went into Alizeh’s room and saw that she was having huge fever and Ruksana sitting and crying beside her. Asraf was a little tensed but he knew this was the time to support his family. He first lifted Ruksana up and consoled her. He then went on to check the temperature of Alizeh. She was having  high fever. Asraf felt that she was having seasonal cough and cold as Alizeh has been at home since the lockdown has started. Both Asraf and Ruksana as parents  took adequate precautions to not infect Alizeh. Asraf gave Alizeh  Paracetamol  1000 and Solvin Cold and put her to sleep. A few days passed. Alizeh was a little better now.

                   It was a regular day. Asraf  had gone to his office. Just when he was about to sit in his cabin a sister came and told him that bed number 432 was breathing its last breath. Asraf heaved a sigh. He went to the patient’s room . The patient was staring at the window.

“Hello Mr. Khanna . How are you?” Asked Asraf

“I  don’t know” said Mr. Khanna. 

Asraf was trying to control his emotions and was preparing to go out of the room when suddenly he heard a scream from behind.  Asraf looked behind and saw Mr. Khanna panting for breath. He quickly made arrangements for an oxygen cylinder .

“ There is scarcity of oxygen cylinders in the hospital doctor “ said the nurse.

“We need to try till the last breath ”said  a hopeful Asraf.

The oxygen cylinder was attached to the patient. All the necessary steps were taken to revive him back. It was evening 7 ‘o’ clock. Everyone had nearly lost hopes . . Fervent prayers were made to the almighty once again highlighting the supremacy of  god over humanity.  It is said that God helps those who help themselves. Suddenly Mr. Khanna started showing response . It seemed as though the entire hospital rejoiced at this. Tears of joy started flowing from Asraf’s eyes. Maybe the biggest achievement of a doctor is to see a person his / her patients getting a new lease of life. 

                                 Asraf could finally come into his room. His cellphone had gone out of charge so he had put in on charge and gone out . He wanted to tell Ruksana how he had given rebirth to a patient .

“20 missed calls from Ruksana” the notifications highlighted on top of the screen.

Asraf immediately called back . No response. His heart began to thump harder. Asraf decided to drive back home. As he was driving back home he saw a lady sitting beside a lamppost near to his house. The lady someone resembled Ruksana. Asraf stopped his car in front of the lamppost . As he approached his thumping heartbeat was laced by the anxiety on his face. As he moved closer he was shocked to see what he saw. It was Ruksana !! She was crying bitterly. As Asraf tried to console Rukshana her cold hands removed him away…

“Where were you all this while “ asked Ruksana.

“ I was busy saving a patient dear ” said an emotional Asraf.

“In the process of you fulfilling your duty we lost our daughter” said a broken and cold Ruksana.

“In the afternoon around 12 pm Alizeh developed acute breathing problems. With the help of our neighbours we took her to a nearby nursing home but they could not provide her an oxygen cylinder. I rung you up several times and even called your colleagues and your assistant but could  not reach out to you. We took her to one or two more nearby hospitals but none of them admitted our daughter. We then decided to take her to Amri but by the time we took her there the doctors declared her spot dead. . Rapid test was done on her and she was  detected covid positive. ” said Ruksana.

Asraf could not move any further. He felt as if the earth beneath him shook rapidly.

Ruksana: “Today you are a failure both as a father and as a doctor because you could not save your only child and a needy patient.” I cant stay with you any longer because seeing your face I remember Alizeh’s suffering face and her fervent cries of pain to see her Abbu.” Our relationship ends today. Alizeh throughout her last breath only wanted to be with her Abbu. You were not there to hold her hand then.” Do come for her last rites. It would help her soul liberate in peace.”

The whole world came to a standstill for Asraf. That night he could not sleep or eat properly. Everytime he tried thinking about something the happy face of Alizeh came in front of him. Asraf was lost. He was lonely . His entire support system was lost . The day  of the last rites arrived. Asraf and Ruksana fulfilled everything as parents but they knew that everything was over. The void which was created was to stay forever. Both of them lost their means of existence. The world seemed to come for a standstill for them. Ruksana went to her parent’s house. Asraf continued with his covid duty. He was no longer that cheerful and optimistic person. It felt as if he was ripped of every happiness in life. Today Dr. Asraf could still be seen in the covid ward doing his duty . He still sees many patients going out cured and happy . Many families also lose their loved ones but here is Dr. Asraf who lost everything in life but never lost to Covid’s  malicious ploy. Dr Asraf and other bravehearts like him are truly what we call as ‘COVID WARRIORS’ and warriors never lose the battle .. do they ?

 

 

 

© 2021 AKANSHA


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on June 14, 2021
Last Updated on June 14, 2021

Author

AKANSHA
AKANSHA

India



About
Hello everyone. I am Akansha a law student and an aspiring writer. more..

Writing
PRIDE MONTH PRIDE MONTH

A Story by AKANSHA


SCARS SCARS

A Poem by AKANSHA