The Old Man

The Old Man

A Story by Griffin

Albert looked off into the sea from the windswept pacific island that was only about a square mile if sand, bush, fern, and random palm tree. He scratched the unshaven 3 week old grey beard that had grown out since he arrived on the island. The sun was setting which made the sky around it a gorgeous color of blood red. Albert pondered the events that transpired in the past few weeks.
He thought of how the fishing trip had started; how him and his 19 year-old son rented the boat and brought Albert's father's old poles.
He remembered the excitement in Jeff's eyes when he got a bite the third day out at sea. How he screamed 'Dad! Dad! What do I do?' And Albert replied 'Hand me the pole!'
He remembered the light wind, how cooling and comforting it felt.
He reminisced about how hard it was to bring in the twelve foot sea marlin, the gleam in Jeff's eyes as Albert took his picture with the gargantuan fish he hooked. He still can't find the camera.
He remembered the weather reports, the storms they talked about, how he ignored them. Albert remembered seeing the clouds off in the distance.
He remembered the gleam of fear in Jeff's eye's as the boat went up and down over 10 foot swells; how much the boat rocked.
He tried but failed to remember what happened afterwards, but he did remembered walking up with a clear sky. A storm that big would have taken a day to pass by, 'I must have been unconscious for a day,' he thought.
He remembered how harsh the wind felt then.
He remembered trying to find food, but accepting only leaves for there was no food on the island.
He thought of the rustling he hard behind him in the tall grass. He pondered on what he had thought it was, 'A tribal?' he thought. 'An animal?' He can't remember all of it, but he knew the fear that raced through him.
He remembered grabbing the first stone he could feel by his side. He thought of how quickly the 50+ year-old man jumped into the bush swinging the rock along with him.
He remembered the gleam in his prey's eyes.
He remembered crying over his son's corpse.

© 2013 Griffin


Author's Note

Griffin
Good or bad? I just randomly thought of it after seeing a picture on Imgur.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013
Tags: Death, Suspense, Pacific Islands, An old guy and his son, Fishing, storms

Author

Griffin
Griffin

Billerica, MA



About
This is basically me just popping crap onto a website for the world to see more..

Writing
Mediocrity Mediocrity

A Poem by Griffin


Intoxication Intoxication

A Poem by Griffin