What a phone call can do.

What a phone call can do.

A Story by Mira
"

I felt lots of emotions writing this. I changed up the names, but most of the story remains the same. Tell me if you like it, and also, please ignore grammatical errors etc...i'm in a hurry.

"

Dear Readers, 



I am just an ordinary child living in one of the metropolitan cities in India. I have an elder sister. She lives in a different metropolitan city, known as Delhi. I live in Mumbai. We never get to see each other. She is married now, and has had one baby boy already. I am happy for her, but I am sad. We have never shared a sisterly bond, and sometimes, I wish she could’ve stayed on for another year, maybe then we would’ve gotten closer and shared secrets and done all those fun sisterly things. I see her once a year now, and frankly it gets very awkward. She will ask me questions, and I will ask her questions…and when there is nothing else to say, we both pull out our phones from our pockets and go back into our little bubble. We never talk on the phone. Actually, for about one minute a year we do. She calls me on my birthday, our conversation lasts for roughly 30 seconds, and I do the same on her birthday. 

For the past month, this has been upsetting me a lot. I would like to call her…but, then again, I don’t know what to say. I want us to have a bond, but I don’t know what she wants, and I am scared if she wants something different. What if she’s perfectly fine with the way things are going now? What do I do then…?



-SUNDAY-


I woke from a fright today, and I broke into a cold sweat. This was how I would normally feel when I’d get fever, so I took my pills and ate some breakfast. As I was eating breakfast, I remember closing my eyes for a moment or two and seeing some sort of flashback, and I saw a glimpse of my sister. She was screaming for help, blood on her face, she was on the ground….it seemed dark….and then, just like that, my eyes opened and it was broad daylight. I was in my kitchen, with a plate of half- eaten fruit on the table. I pushed the plate away and ran to where my phone was currently charging. I then called my sister. I was scared, trembling with fear…and I just wanted to know if she was okay. I rang her number, she didn’t pick up. I rang it again, and in the last moment she picked it up and said, with that soft voice of hers, ’Hello?’ 

I breathed a sigh of relief. She was okay. 

“Maya?” I heard myself say her name. It felt weird, as if I had never said it out loud before. 

“Yes…? This is Maya. Who am I speaking too?” She said. 

“Lea.” 

There was a long pause. I was trying to hold back the tears, a part of me felt that she had forgotten who I was. 

“My sister…?”

I laughed. “Yes, It’s Lea. Your sister.”

There was another long pause, I could hear her heavy breathing, and then she said, “Are you okay,  Lea?”

“Yes I’m fine, are you fine?”

Then, she started crying. A soft, gentle cry. Then, I started crying. I don’t know why, it was just so nice to finally hear her voice. “Lea, why are you crying?” She asked me. “I miss you.” That was all that I could say. 

“I miss you too.” I heard my sister say, she was still crying now. I stopped. I just hoped she was crying because it was a happy moment, and it was tears of joy, not tears of sadness.

“Come here, come home.” I said.

She did not say anything. Then, I started saying, “Remember Nama? She has married now, and she has three children. She’s still living in the building.” I waited for her to say something, but she did not. 

“The Sanghi’s have gotten yet another dog now. I take him for walks sometimes.” I waited for a response, anything…but I could hear her breathing, so I knew she was listening. 

“That old broad next door, she’s well and alive! She has gotten even bigger. Mom doesn’t know when to stop inviting her over for laddoos.” I said. I could hear laughter now. 

“She is missing you, Maya. We all are.” 

She did not say anything. It was absolute silence for one long minute. Then, she said, “I’m coming home.” 


We ended the call, and in a matter of a couple of hours, Maya was indeed on our doorstep. 

Who knew what a phone call could actually do. 

So, If you have something to say, don’t wait, say it now. There’s not a moment to waste. 

© 2015 Mira


Author's Note

Mira
Please ignore grammatical errors :P I was in a hurry. Feel free to give any feedback :) Thanks. Hope you enjoy reading what i have to share.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

People refrains from sharing because they think that it will make them weak or that person in front will feel that it's getting wierd...it is always beautiful to be honest with your thoughts..share them even if it is a small thing...nicely portrayed...thanks for sharing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

No problem! Thank you gauravv :)

Regards,
Mira.



Reviews

Mira - thank you. You reminded me how blessed I am that my two daughters, though far apart geographically are so close together in mind and spirit. We maintain the bedrooms they had at home and in one is a picture of two girls, that I always see as ours, walking hand in hand on the beach.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This story touched my heart. Yes, we have to communicate our emotions. We can't be afraid to tell those we love that we miss them and need to see them. This is so emotional...so poignant. Mira, this is beautiful. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


This drew me in almost immediately and kept me involved with a simple, raw and yet engaging story. I liked the simple but heartfelt message behind it. Your style here is minimal but effective and I enjoyed it very much. In terms of suggestions for improvement, I would say some expansion and fleshing out of things that I was left wondering about such as why did their relationship become like that in the first place? Why didn't they reach out before this?

But other than that, an all round good piece.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mira, very emotional read, if this is a true story I am happy for you. Longing for family love and good memories pulls the heartstrings . Your story was written well enough to pull all your readers heartstrings. Many Blessings, Richie B.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mira I love what you wrote and it brings out the emotions between both. But it left me wondering why Maya and Lea with so much emotion could not do this earlier.. did something happen to keep them so distant with each other?

Posted 8 Years Ago


People refrains from sharing because they think that it will make them weak or that person in front will feel that it's getting wierd...it is always beautiful to be honest with your thoughts..share them even if it is a small thing...nicely portrayed...thanks for sharing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

No problem! Thank you gauravv :)

Regards,
Mira.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
VP
I love what you have written .... I don't have a sister but you're story really touched me...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mira

8 Years Ago

Thanks :) Got pretty emotional writing this too...

Regards,
Mira.
Very nicely written. I too failed to see any errors in grammer, (but grammer is far from my strong point ) I really enjoyed the life lessons of the value of family, and to say what you feel. You expressed it perfectly.
bill

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mira

8 Years Ago

Thanks Bill! Your comment is appreciated over here!

Regards,
Mira.
A powerful message imbibed in a classy story; I was so impressed I failed to notice any grammatical error. When it comes to storytelling, you're among my listed favourites.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Much appreciated :)

Mira.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 27, 2015
Last Updated on December 27, 2015

Author

Mira
Mira

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
Hi! My name is Mira and I have had a passion for writing and reading for almost three years now. I appreciate all reviews and just send me a message if you would like to me to review some of your .. more..

Writing
Letters to Rachel Letters to Rachel

A Story by Mira


Savitri's Legend Savitri's Legend

A Story by Mira



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..