Savitri's Legend

Savitri's Legend

A Story by Mira
"

Hello there! The Legend of Savitri is based on an actual legend on a young princess by the name of Savitri, I have taken this legend and have written it in my own words. Hope you enjoy :) Regards.

"

A very long time ago, in Ancient India, there lived a King. The King was married to several wives, and as much as he prayed, he was not given a child. He prayed for a beautiful daughter every day for eighteen years, but his wish did not come true.

One fine day, as the king was praying by the sacred altar, a shining goddess rose from the flames. The king was astonished, and as he stood there, speechless, the shining goddess spoke aloud; “I am Savitri, the child of the sun. By your prayers, you have won a daughter.” The king thanked Savitri, and went back to the kingdom to tell the joyous news to everyone.

Within a year, a beautiful daughter came to the king and his most favorite wife. The king had named her Savitri, after the goddess.

Princess Savitri was the most beautiful child in the kingdom, and as she grew elder, she became more mature. The king and his wife thought it was time for her marriage now.  They sent out messages from the kingdom open to anyone who wanted to marry princess Savitri. The king and his wife waited several days, until they grew impatient. They demanded that Savitri, with the help of her servants, go out and find a man for herself. Princess Savitri did as she was told, she travelled from place to place, but nobody was willing to marry the beautiful princess. As she was walking, she spotted a hermitage by a river crossing. She demanded they visit the hermitage, for it was a place built for peace and study. Savitri entered the hall of worship and greeted the eldest teacher, she looked around and saw a man with gleaming eyes, helping another man who was old and blind.

“Who is that man there?” asked Savitri softly. The teacher replied; “That is wise Prince Satyavan, and beside him is his father.”

Princess Savitri returned home with a wide grin and a sparkle in her eyes.

“Have you found a man worthy of you?” The king asked his daughter. “Yes, he is prince Satyavan. I will need your blessing to marry him.” Savitri replied. The king shook his head, “Not Satyavan, my daughter. He may be wise and clever, but his life will end in a year. I have seen the future before.”

Savitri said, “He is the man I wish to marry, I want to spend my time with prince Satyavan. Do me this favour of arranging the marriage.” She requested.

The king finally agreed to his daughters wish, and rode to the hermitage to arrange the marriage.

Prince Satyavan was overjoyed to be offered such a bride, and he happilly agreed to the marriage.

That very day itself, Savitri and Satyavan walked hand in hand, as husband and wife.

As days went by, Savitri still remembered the date that her husband’s soul would be taken from her.

Three days before Satyavan’s death, Savitri went to the sacred hall to pray. She did not eat nor sleep, her only purpose was to pray. As she left the sacred hall, she saw Satyavan heading for the forest, an ax on his shoulder. Savitri ran to him and cried; “let me come with you, husband.” Satyavan agreed and they walked hand in hand to the forest. As Savitri rested, Satyavan chopped firewood from a fallen tree. Suddenly, Satyavan cried, “My head is aching, and my body is burning! My darling Savitri, what is happening to me?” Savitri rushed to him, and gently put his head on her lap. She watched Satyavan’s eyes closing, and she could feel his breathing slowing down.

Savitri looked up and saw a man in a red robe with bulging red eyes floating down towards Satyavan, he said, “I am Yama, the god of death. I have come to take Prince Satyavan’s soul.” Savitri replied, “but this man here is my husband, please give me his soul.”

Yama, the god of death, shook his head and walked away to the land of the dead. Savitri

followed Yama and her poor husband’s soul, she struggled to keep up. Yama turned to face her, “Savitri, you are forbidden to come further. I respect your loyalty for your husband, so I will grant you one favour- anything but the life of your husband.” Yama said. Savitri replied, “May you restore my father in law’s kingdom and his sight.” She said. Yama agreed, “Go back to the kingdom, your wish is granted.”

Yama headed south, and Savitri still followed. Yama heard her voice and cried, “Savitri, you have come far enough! However, I respect your devotion. I will grant you one more favour-anything but the life of your husband.” Savitri thought and said; “Grant many more children to my father.” Yama agreed. “Now you must go back Savitri, it is getting dark.” Yama headed forward, and Savitri couldn’t help but follow him. He suddenly halted while walking up a steep hill, “Savitri, what had I told you? I will grant you your last favour- anything but the life of your husband.”

Savitri grinned and said; “Then you shall grant many children to me. They must be children of Satyavan’s.” Yama’s eyes widened, “Princess! You are a smart lady, I shall grant you children of Satyavan’s, for that, I will have to release his soul.” Yama released Satyavan’s soul and walked back to the land of the dead, defeated.

Savitri rushed to Satyavan and grinned, “My husband, I have missed you.” She said. Satyavan said, “Savitri, you have stuck beside me, like you promised. I thank you my princess, we shall now return home to our new kingdom.”

Satyavan and Savitri had eventually had become king and queen, and like most legends go, they lived happily ever after.

 

© 2016 Mira


Author's Note

Mira
Please ignore grammar problems, this was originally meant to be a draft but haven't really had the time for a final.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think as far as legend goes, this was a pretty classy one. While I feel you told a lot and never showed; and some parts of the writing could use some nice gloss....I still commend you. The legend of Savitri huh? I'll definitely keep this in mind.
P.S. Love a smart heroine :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for that good constructive feedback! I'd probably be relying on you to give me fee.. read more



Reviews

What a very intelligent wife. Being the father of two girls I'm somewhat prejudiced, but I think women, especially those in love, are very very clever. I enjoyed your story very much.

Take care - Dave

Posted 6 Years Ago


you are a great story teller my friend !

Posted 7 Years Ago


It is wonderful, dear Mira. Please do not lose your confidence and continue creating beautiful stuffs like these. The writing world needs people like you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mira

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sanda!
Comments like these definitely make my day!!
If you're will.. read more
Sandra Nair

8 Years Ago

Sure
Beautiful adoption of beautiful love story ever told. The love has the power that can defeat death as well. You have nicely captured the essence here. Keep it up :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

Hello there Gaurav :) Thank you so much for the appreciative comments on my rewritten legend! I woul.. read more
I think as far as legend goes, this was a pretty classy one. While I feel you told a lot and never showed; and some parts of the writing could use some nice gloss....I still commend you. The legend of Savitri huh? I'll definitely keep this in mind.
P.S. Love a smart heroine :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for that good constructive feedback! I'd probably be relying on you to give me fee.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 22, 2016
Last Updated on April 22, 2016

Author

Mira
Mira

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
Hi! My name is Mira and I have had a passion for writing and reading for almost three years now. I appreciate all reviews and just send me a message if you would like to me to review some of your .. more..

Writing
Letters to Rachel Letters to Rachel

A Story by Mira