The Ismenian Dragon

The Ismenian Dragon

A Story by Mischief
"

The prologue to my Ismenian Dragon story. Long ago, the Colchian Dragon lived...

"

The Beginning

 

                Long ago in the land of Colchis, it is said that a dragon known as the Colchian Dragon, stood guard over  the lands most powerful item; the golden fleece. The dragon was said to be strong and ever-enduring, for never could it rest.

                As many know, the great hero Jason eventually is said to have conquered the great beast, never the less, this creature earned a spot of righteousness in the eyes of the gods. One god however in particular, felt a certain pull towards the magnificent beast, and made it his own. This god was none other than Apollo, the sun god.

                The golden dragon became a sort of secret of the god's, for the others would be jealous if they knew of the deep treachery Apollo had played upon them. Only Apollo, saw the Colchian Dragon as a resource for respecting and preserving life, for the dragon had after all, protected the Golden Fleece most valiantly.

                For a while, the dragon and Apollo worked in secrecy with a bond as strong as a mother's to a child, and during that time, the earth was most fruitful, and life endured with no hardships. However, one day a deep sickness overcame the great dragon, and Apollo was stricken with grief above all others'.

                Both partners knew that their time together was limited, and Apollo had seen what had been accomplished through their great partnership. He did not wish to lose the peace that had settled over the earth, nor did he wish to lose the great Colchian Dragon.

                So, he played upon his enchanted lyre, a song of both sorrow and prosperity. The song was to cause the sleepless dragon to drift into a trance like void, where the dragon would die painless and seemingly unawares.

                The Colchian Dragon, once it realized what was to happen, was very thankful for his friend's concern. The great dragon saw what it meant in the eyes of its friend, and wished for a much greater and memorable end to his long life. Through the ancient power within the beast, it released this energy that had built to a vast amount over its many years of life, and formed six great golden eggs. With a whisper of a thought, the dragon said,

                Remember me friend, through my offspring. Within these eggs lie my children and I leave it to you to decide whom you deem worthy to share in their partnerships.

                And with that, the dragon let out a huff of air that encased the eggs in an unbreakable magical barrier, and died with the air that steamed from his great nostrils.

 

                This in a  immense presence, caused the god to search for these said partners with a renewed sort of vigilance and purpose. Apollo spent the better part of three centuries in search of those that would be most fitted and deserving of the great honor of sharing in the Colchian Dragons' prosperity and way of life.

                He settled henceforth in the end on six demigods whom he sensed were of pure mind and body, all were of his blood. To his six demigod children, he had them each pick an egg, for they varied in shades and sizes. Fate seemed to have meddled within their choosing, for none picked the same egg as another, and all were suited most perfectly.

                Once the demigods had received their egg and were marveling at it in confused wonder, Apollo willed the eggs to hatch for their new friends. For their riders.

                And so, that is how Apollo's circuit of secret protectors of earth came to be, and would forever more be, for both demigod and dragon, were bestowed with the gift, but burden, of immortality.

 

                Far away, in the land opposite of that of Mount Olympus, deep within the waters of the undiscovered, a dragon of radiant emerald green passed into the despairingly unknown void, which is death. All this, with similar hopes in mind.

© 2012 Mischief


Author's Note

Mischief
Feel free to leave me comments! I'm new here :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is awesome! Interesting and so well written, also..
Dragons :D
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 18, 2012
Last Updated on December 18, 2012
Tags: Dragon, Dragons, Fairytale, Mythology, Fantasy

Author

Mischief
Mischief

About
I love to read and write, and I'm working on a few stories now that I hope everyone likes :) more..

Writing
The Price The Price

A Story by Mischief