Hot Town, Summer in the Suburbs

Hot Town, Summer in the Suburbs

A Story by Kelley T
"

"Prompt #46: In 220 words, describe a hot day."

"

       It’s sweltering days like this that I dream of moving up to Antarctica and never looking back.

     The half glass of iced lemonade I was just drinking is now almost completely water.  I'm almost tempted to chug it, just to keep my throat from screaming out in thirst.  Then again, 'flat' lemonade?  No, thank you, ma'am...

     Looking out the window, I notice both the twelve dead flies along the sill and the fact that there's steam rising off of the pavement.  The grass on the lawn's also completely beige and crunchy underfoot.  I'd love to see any gardener cope with that loss.

     The best bet for beating this heat would be jumping into the pool, but since we put a gash into it last summer, playing a game of FunNoodle Jousting (patent pending), that one’s out of the question.

     Sprinkler's no good either.  Damn neighbor kids ran it over with their ATVs long ago.  We got 'em back, though.  When the pool bit the dust, the water decided to see what life was like on the other side of the fence.  The aftermath’s on tape somewhere, but it'd have to be censored first, ’cause the neighbor folk are apparently all sailors.

     Thinking back on it, I change my mind.  No glacier would ever be nearly as fun as this place.  

© 2009 Kelley T


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 20, 2009

Author

Kelley T
Kelley T

Pittsburgh, PA



About
If there's one thing in which I believe, it's following your dreams. And, that said, I try my damnedest to not be a hypocrite. : ) more..

Writing
Leaf/Left Leaf/Left

A Poem by Kelley T