Remedy

Remedy

A Story by MissMidnight88
"

I did this (and am doing others) as a kind of character development. Each short story is based on a song, as a fun way to explore my characters.

"

Dizzy with the thrill, I dance to the music pulsing through the room. My eyes are closed, but I can sense the people around me, all of them caught in the same rhythm that moves me. The dance floor is a blanket of tightly packed bodies, the heat almost unbearable…or at least it would be if I could feel it. Being dead �" or undead �" certainly has its perks.

“I can see you stalking like a predator, I’ve been here before…”

            As my body dips and sways with the beat, I glance towards the bar where I know Liam is stood. His eyes bore into me, attraction and hatred battling deep in them.

Vampires don’t like to share their territory, and although I’m only here now for the nightlife, Liam is keeping a close eye on me, making sure I don’t feed off one of ‘his’ humans.

With any other vamp, he would have ‘disposed’ of them as soon as they stepped foot on his turf. But with Liam and me it’s, um, complicated.

Unlike werewolves, witches and most of the other supernatural races, vampires aren’t born, we are made. To become a vamp, a human needs to consume the blood of the vamp that has just fed off them, willingly or otherwise. This triggers a kind of chemical reaction within the human which causes their heart to stop beating, but keeps the brain aware and functioning.

Although the whole process takes no more than an hour, the person is conscious throughout the whole thing, unable to do anything but suffer through the pain.

Once they have changed, the first problem is the hunger. Vampires are supposed to remain with their charge until the hunger is under control, which may take hours, days or even months. Most do, but an irresponsible few have left their charges to murder countless humans before being taken down by the council. Those responsible don’t get away lightly either…

But I’m rambling.

Liam is my maker, as it were.

I was the daughter of a wealthy British land-owner in the 1700’s, always expected to be a proper lady, and betrothed to wed my father’s equally wealthy friend. My whole young life had been controlled by my father, and I found myself sinking into deep despair. Then, whilst walking the grounds of the estate late one night, trying to avoid my father and his lecherous friends, I met a handsome stranger stalking the shadows. At first, fear told me to run. But when he spoke, his voice like honey, I found myself drawn to him.

For several nights, I would meet him out in the darkness, talking to him, listening to his tales of life outside of my personal prison.

            On the fourth night, however, he failed to appear. I waited for hours, my heart breaking with every passing minute. With dawn approaching, I finally went to my bedroom where I cried myself into a slumber, dejected and alone once more.

            When I awoke, the evening was already approaching. Curious glances from the staff and my family earned a simple “I haven’t been feeling well.” They duly believed this and let me be, probably owing to the fact that I looked like death warmed over �" pale from the lack of sleep, eyes still red from crying.

After grabbing a glass of water and some bread, I disappeared back to the security of my bed, vowing to myself never to trust anyone again.

Darkness fell, and I found myself on the balcony, gazing out into the dark grounds, hoping to catch a glimpse of my mysterious stranger, whilst at the same time chastising myself for being so stupid, so weak.

            With a sigh, I turned away, making my way to the wash basin, prepared for another restless night.

            As I lay back my head, I heard a whisper from the balcony. “Just the wind,” I told the empty room. It came again, only this time I would have sworn I heard my name.

            “Elspeth.” I sat bolt upright, gaze swinging to the corner I had heard the whisper from. There stood my stranger, cloak pulled about him, the shadow of the hood almost hiding his face.

            “Wha…what are you doing here?” I whispered, gathering my blanket around me as I tried to cover my nightgown.

“I came back for you, Elspeth, just like I promised I would,” he said, voice smooth and confident.

“But you left me along last night. I waited for you, but you didn’t come.” My voice quivered as I fought back tears. “Why didn’t you come?”

            He walked gracefully over to the bed and sat beside me, cold hand reaching for my cheek. “I’m sorry, my love, but I had to be sure everything was ready.”

I looked at him, a question forming on my lips that he answered before I had time to vocalise it.

“I had to prepare for tonight, to take you away from this like that saddens you so,” he said, golden eyes meeting mine. “That is what you want, is it not?”

“Yes, of course,” I replied. “But what about mother and father? They will try to find me, and I will miss them terribly.”

“Elspeth, they do not care for you as I do. They wish you to be wed to that brute your father chose for you. I want you to be happy, my love,” he said, and I once again felt myself swimming in his golden eyes.

“But how am I supposed to escape these walls? Father insists on there being staff available day and night.” I gestured towards the door. “It will be impossible to leave unseen.”

“I have taken care of everything, my love. You must trust me. Do you trust me, Elspeth?” he asked, taking my hands. I nodded, his touch leaving me unable to speak. “Then we must leave now.” He got to his feet, gently pulling me with him.

            I glanced around my room, eyes falling on my dress.

“You have no need for clothes, Elspeth, I have already retrieved some for you,” he said, smiling down at me. Again I nodded and allowed him to lead my through the silent halls.

            When we reached the staircase, I stopped, realising I hadn’t even asked him a basic question. “Dear stranger, I still do not know your name.”

He turned to me, a soft smile touching his lips. “Liam,” he said simply, bowing his head. I smiled back, aware that he had not addressed me as ‘madam’ and not caring.

Liam retook my hand and led me into the dark night…

            After that, my memory became blurred. I remember pain, screaming as my body changed, feeling like I had poison running through my veins. I remember seeing Liam’s distorted face hovering over mine, and the fear I felt staring into those now-cold eyes.

            I awoke nine nights later, alone and frightened. I wandered the streets, hearing hearts beating, smelling the blood pumping, not knowing what had happened to me. As I passed a small side-street, a noise caught my attention.

            I looked into the faintly lit street and had to suppress a scream. A woman lay on the stone floor, eyes wide and unblinking, and over her crouched a man, his back to me.

I let out a squeak, and the man’s head shot around to look at me.

            The first thing I noticed was the blood around his mouth, repulsive and yet somehow…delicious. The metallic smell sent a shiver of anticipation through me.

            When I realised what I had been thinking, my stomach churned, pulling my attention back to the man. Only then did I notice his blooded teeth, canines extended into needle-like points. I drew my gaze higher and met his eyes. I gasped as I recognised the golden spark in them. Then he uttered my name.

            “Elspeth, my love. You awaken.” I look from him, to the woman, obviously dead, and back to the blood staining his lips. The sweet smell made my head swim, drawing me closer…

            I snapped out of it as Liam took a step towards me. “You monster,” I uttered.

“Elspeth, I can explain…” he started.

“Explain? You’re a monster! You’ve done something to me,” I was shouting by then.

“I’m not a monster, my love. I’m a vampire, and so now are you. We can spend eternity together. That is what you wanted, is it not?” he asked, continuing towards me.

I backed away. “I did not ask for this! I did not ask to be a…a…blood-sucker. A devil.” My voice caught.

“Elspeth, please,” Liam pleaded.

“No,” I shouted. “Stay away from me. You have destroyed me, my life. You are evil.”

He reached his hand out to me. I stepped away, disgust at him filling me. I took one last look at him, his eyes full of grief.

Then I ran. And ran, never once looking back.

 

            I returned from the memory to find myself gazing across the room to Liam’s beautiful golden eyes. I felt the grief of the memory tugging at my unbeating heart, his voice echoing through my mind, as I am reminded of my love for him.

            Suddenly, I sense other eyes on me…vampire eyes. I spin to track them as Liam disappears into the crowd between us.

“Ellie. How pleasant to meet you here,” says a velvet voice into my ear.

“Marcus,” I breathe, turning to look into eyes of ice blue.

“It’s been a few years. It’s good to see you well.” A genuine smile touches his eyes. He takes my hand, pulling me close to him. “I have missed you. Although why you choose such a place to find enjoyment is beyond me,” he says, glancing around the clubbers oblivious to our presence.

I grin and continue to dance, rubbing my body against his, feeling his hands gliding over my skin. “Hmm…temptation,” he utters into my ear. “Such a wonderfully empowering thing.”

            I allow myself a glance at Liam, who is making his way towards us.

“Move while you’re watching me, dance with the enemy,” sings the voice through the speakers, the beat thumping through me.

“Care to introduce me, Elspeth?” says Liam as he reaches us.

“It’s Ellie now, and this is Marcus,” I reply, pulling my somewhat short stature to full height. “If you’ll excuse us, we were just leaving.” I try to turn away, but Liam’s grasp wrenches me back to face him. Marcus stiffens behind me, ready to jump in.

“Take your hand of me, Liam. I do not belong to you,” I say, almost hissing.

“But you love me, Elspeth, as I love you,” he says. “You know I am sorry for what I did to you, and if I could take it back, I would. Look into my eyes, Elspeth, and see that I am being sincere.”

I take a moment, and after several hundred years I can finally read those velvet eyes.

“All I see is lies,” I say, before taking Marcus’s hand and leaving the club, Liam’s eyes boring into my back until the door shuts between us, the music echoing…

“No more poison killing my emotion, I will not be frozen, dancing is my remedy, remedy…”

© 2010 MissMidnight88


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010

Author

MissMidnight88
MissMidnight88

United Kingdom



About
My name is Kelly, I am a student of Canine Behaviour, and used to write for a local newspaper. My family and my dogs come before anything in my life. I'm a real bookworm, my favourite author being Ke.. more..

Writing