Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Hannah L.

I open my eyes but I see nothing.  All I remember is the doctor giving me a needle to make the pain go away, then I passed out.  Why wasI given a needle?  Because apparently...  Wait...  No!  It was a dream, all a dream, this is not happening!

 

"Kayla, can you here me?" I still cannot see, but I know that voice.  It is my mom, and it sounds like she has been crying.

 

"Yes.  Why can't I see?"

 

"You don't remember do you?  Do you know where you are?" she sounds worried.

 

"Please don't tell me I'm in the hospital.  Please tell me it was all a dream." my voice cracking slightly every few words.

 

Everything was silent.  You could have heard a pin drop.

 

I feel like a building just fell on top of me.  I cannot breath, I feel like I wam having a heart attack.  I am starting to black out again.

 

"What's going on?" says a voice I do not recognize.

 

"We don't know.  We've taken her to doctors, psychologists, everybody, but no one seems to know what it is." my mom tells the mystery person.

 

"Well, what do we do?" says the unknown person, who I am guessing is a doctor.

 

"We've been told to just leave her alone and let it pass, or something bad might happen."

 

This always happens when I get worked up or stressed.  We call them my "attacks".  I cannot talk, I lose my breath, and my heart races so fast that I feel flustered and about to pass out.  My heart pounds so fast that my chest starts hurting, my stomach tightens up, and I feel paralyzed because it is so hard to move.  But I cannot do anything about it.  My mom is right, we just have to wait for it to pass.

 

They usually only last about five minutes, but since I have been getting older they have been getting longer, and worse.

 

They started when my dad died.  He was everything to me, my best friend.  He drowned when I was eight.  We were at the beach on a hot summer day when he got stung by a jelly fish.  He was really allergic to any kind of sting.  He started to puff up, then he went under.  I thought he was just playing so I did not really pay much attention.  But when he did not come up for a good minute, I got worried.  I called to my mom, she came running from where she was tanning on the beach.  She saw my dad and pulled him up.  He had all ready breathed in too much water and he died in her arms.  That was the worst day of my life, until now. I do not think anything could be worse than this.

 

The attack finally dies down.

 

"How are you feeling?" my mom asks.

 

I stare into nothingness and do not answer. Because that is all I can do, stare into an endless black hole.  I am blind.

 

It all started yesterday afternoon.  I started getting a pain in my head, I thought it was just a headache so I took some Advil and put an ice pack on my head.  Later that night it had still not gone away or died down.  It was actually worse, much worse.  My head was pounding furiously and my vision was going blurry.  I called out to my mom, it took a few times because I was in so much pain I could barely talk.  She came running into my room and saw me curled up in a ball on my bed.  I quickly explained what was going on and she rushed me to the hospital.  That was when the horrible news came.  Apparently I had internalized or been exposed to a chemical that took over the vision sector of my brain, and I was slowly and painfully going blind.  Only two or three other people in the world had been diagnosed with this before, and they had not yet found a cure to get rid of it.  But they had made a drug that increased the power of the chemical so I immediately went blind, which may sound horrible, but it was made so the victim did not have to go through the pain any longer.  So obviously they gave me the drug, and that is when I passed out.

 

"I'm blind." I finally say, actually, I yell.  "A seventeen year old girl, with a whole life

ahead of her, and now I'm blind. How do you think I feel?"

 

All I can hear was my mom nervously shuffling her feet, obviously surprised.  I have never yelled at her like that before.  We always get along so well.

 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that it's ju-" but she cut me off.

 

"There is no reason to apologize, I could never imagine the mental pain and stress you are going through right now.  I completely understand your anger."

 

I cannot see her, but I can tell she is giving me one of her comforting smiles.  So I smile back.

 

"Thanks mom.  I love you."

 

"I love you too honey."

 

"So do we know when I can leave this awful place?" I say after a moment of silence.

 

"No." my mom slightly laughs.  "I know you're eager to leave, but right now we just have to focus on you recovering from the trauma of the news."

 

"I don't need to 'recover'," I put my hands up and make the quotation marks with my fingers. "From anything, I feel fine.  Other than the fact that I can't see anything, which is a bit different." I say sarcastically.

 

"I know you're a strong girl, but you've only just woken up and haven't had time to realize all the things that are going to have to change.  I remember when we lost your father. At first I kept telling myself that things happen, and they all happen for a reason, so I felt fine.  But then after a few days, after not having him around, realizing how different it really was without him, I felt like I had the weight of the

whole world on my shoulders, and it felt awful."

 

"Well thanks for that mom.  I definitely feel better now!" I say sarcastically.

 

"Sorry honey, but it's the sad truth.  And also, like you said, you can't see anything, so they're going to keep you here for a bit and teach you how to, well, do certain things without your sight."

 

"Can't I just take classes for that later?" I ask hopefully.

 

"Maybe." my mom says with a small laugh.  "Just make the best of your time here.  I will try to get them to let you come home as soon as possible."

 

And with that someone walks in the room, I am guessing the doctor who I heard leave earlier to give us some time to talk.

 

"I'm sorry Kayla, but we have to do some check-ups so your mother is going to have to leave."

 

I stay silent.  I do not want her to leave, not now.  I do not want to be left alone with these strange doctors who I cannot even see.

 

"That's alright." my mom tells the doctor.  "I'll see you tomorrow sweetie.  Love you." I feel her kiss my forehead.

 

"Well, you'll see me, but I won't see you." that sounded a bit less harsh in my head.

 

My mom sighs.

 

"Goodbye Kayla."

 

"Bye mom."

 

And then she leaves.

 

***

 

The next few weeks in the hospital go by pretty slowly.  As I cannot see, there was really nothing to entertain me.

 

I hear someone come in, obviously a doctor.  I know it is really early so mom my would not be here yet.

 

"We have some good news!" says the doctor.

 

"My sight will be coming back?  Because at the moment that's the only news that will

sound good to me." I say, sounding rather lazy and uninterested.

 

"Unfortunately it's not that good, but I still think you're going to like it." I could tell the doctor was rather annoyed with my tone.  I do not think any of them like me.  "We've decided you are ready to go home. We have already called your mother and she will be picking you up as soo-"

 

"Finally!" I scream.

 

I hear the doctor sigh.

 

"We will send someone in to help you get dressed."

 

"I think I'll wait 'till my mom gets here, thanks." I wasn't letting any strange doctor see me naked, especially since I could not see them.

 

"That's fine." says the doctor, and then he leaves.

 

A few minutes after the doctor leaves, my mom arrives.  Good thing we do not live far from the hospital, I cannot wait any longer to get out of here.

 

"Hi Kayla." my mom says cheerfully, coming into the room.

 

"Just get me into my clothes and get me out of here." I say as kindly as possible.

 

"Alright, miss impatient." my mom laughs.

 

My mom gets my walking stick (it is this thing the doctors gave me that I wave in front of me while I walk so I do not run into anything) and leads me out of the hospital and into the car.

 

"I have a surprise waiting for you at home." my mom says excitedly as I feel us pulling out of the lot.

 

"Really?  Maybe if it's good enough I'll feel happy for the first time in weeks." I say, trying to sound excited.

 

"Oh, I think you'll like this." she says happily.

 

I missed this.  Just the two of us.  No doctors, or interruptions for check-ups.  Just us.

 

We are driving along the road when I realize something, something big.

 

"I won't be able to swim anymore." I say, barely above a whisper.

 

I have been swimming since before I could walk, and competitively swimming since I was eight.  I always feel the happiest when I am in the water.  My mom always called me a mermaid, because to me, the water was my home, and now I will never be able to swim again.

 

"I know.  I was thinking about that on the way over.  I'm so sorry honey."

 

I stay silent in my seat, tears streaming down my face.  I do not even bother to wipe them away.  My whole life has changed, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I am sitting in my seat, running over everything in my head that I will never be able to do again, staring into the nothingness of what I can, or I guess, cannot not see, when suddenly I feel it.  Like my mom said, it feels like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, crushing me, rendering me immobile.  But wait, I actually cannot move, I cannott breath, a sharp pain in my chest makes it feel like I have broken a rib.  Why does this feel so real?  Am I having another attack?

 

"Mom?  What's going on?" I choke.

 

No answer.  Then I pass out.



© 2014 Hannah L.


Author's Note

Hannah L.
If you notice anything, spelling, grammar, choppiness, please tell me. I want this story to be perfect. I would like some kind reviews as well if you do not mind :) And if you have any tips on how to write a dialog better, ex. so after every sentence it does not say "I said." "she said" "he said" thank you :) And please tell me what you think of the story line, I feel it has been my best writing idea and I am proud of it and how it is turning out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this! I think the hook was good, and made me want to find out what was going on. I like the start, and depending on where you plan to go with the plot, this could be a very interesting story.

A few things I noticed:

"All I remember is the doctor giving me a needle to make the pain go away, then I passed out. Why did THEY give me a needle?" "They" is a plural term, so it would be better if you gave that doctor a gender, "Why did he give me a needle?" or something.

You have a habit of switching between present tense and past tense:
"'What's going on?' SAYS a voice I don't recognize." and then going to:
"'I'm blind.' I finally SAID, actually, I YELLED.". You are going to want to pick on tense to write in, or it'll make your story a bit weird to read (sorry for the CAPS, but I find it the best way to point out the specific points, I'm not angry or shouting or anything :P).

Now this is totally my personal preference, but don't be afraid to use contractions (can't, don't, haven't, etc.). When it comes to writing for English class, not using contractions is exactly what they want (so good job on keeping with that!). But for the average reader, they are probably more used to seeing can't than cannot (like I said, total personal preference, you do what you feel is right!)

"'We'll thanks for that mom. I definitely feel better now!' I say sarcastically." You want to change that "we'll" to "well" or it says "We will thanks for that mom." :)

"We have already called your mother and she will be picking you up as s...'", that "s..." makes it seem like the doctor just trailed off instead of being interrupted. I'd say replace "s..." with "s--" (well the long dash, but I don't know how to make that outside of Word o.o).

"'I don't need to "recover."" I put my hands up and made the quotation marks with my fingers." You don't need those double quotation marks. I think the common practice is to do it like this:
"I don't need to 'recover'." I put my hands up and...so on.

"'Hi Kayla.' my mom said cheerfully, coming into the room." You never seem to capitalize "my", though I think it would be better if you did.

As for different ways to say "said"
1. acknowledged
2. added
3. admitted
4. advised
5. affirmed
6. agreed
7. announced
8. answered
9. argued
10. asserted
11. assured
12. avoided
13. avowed
14. awakened
15. bellowed
16. blurted
17. bragged
18. cautioned
19. challenged
20. claimed
21. conceited
22. conceded
23. concluded
24. confessed
25. confused
26. continued
27. corrected
28. cried
29. deceived
30. decided
31. declared
32. demanded
33. denied
34. denounced
35. detected
36. disclaimed
37. disclosed
38. divulged
39. emphasized
40. estimated
41. explained
42. expressed
43. forewarned
44. founded
45. gasped
46. growled
47. grunted
48. guessed
49. hinted
50. insisted
51. interjected
52. interrupted
53. joked
54. lied
55. maintained
56. mentioned
57. mumbled
58. murmured
59. objected
60. offered
61. ordered
62. panted
63. pleaded
64. pointed out
65. prayed
66. preached
67. presented
68. proclaimed
69. promised
70. proposed
71. protested
72. quipped
73. ranted
74. recovered
75. related
76. reminded
77. repeated
78. replied
79. reported
80. restated
81. revealed
82. screamed
83. shouted
84. sighed
85. speculated
86. spouted
87. stated
88. stipulated
89. theorized
90. threatened
91. tolerated
92. underestimated
93. uttered
94. volunteered
95. warned
96. whimpered
97. whispered
98. wondered
99. yelled
100. yelped
(Got it off a website a while ago).......(Also, sorry this review takes up so much space now xD)







Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this! I think the hook was good, and made me want to find out what was going on. I like the start, and depending on where you plan to go with the plot, this could be a very interesting story.

A few things I noticed:

"All I remember is the doctor giving me a needle to make the pain go away, then I passed out. Why did THEY give me a needle?" "They" is a plural term, so it would be better if you gave that doctor a gender, "Why did he give me a needle?" or something.

You have a habit of switching between present tense and past tense:
"'What's going on?' SAYS a voice I don't recognize." and then going to:
"'I'm blind.' I finally SAID, actually, I YELLED.". You are going to want to pick on tense to write in, or it'll make your story a bit weird to read (sorry for the CAPS, but I find it the best way to point out the specific points, I'm not angry or shouting or anything :P).

Now this is totally my personal preference, but don't be afraid to use contractions (can't, don't, haven't, etc.). When it comes to writing for English class, not using contractions is exactly what they want (so good job on keeping with that!). But for the average reader, they are probably more used to seeing can't than cannot (like I said, total personal preference, you do what you feel is right!)

"'We'll thanks for that mom. I definitely feel better now!' I say sarcastically." You want to change that "we'll" to "well" or it says "We will thanks for that mom." :)

"We have already called your mother and she will be picking you up as s...'", that "s..." makes it seem like the doctor just trailed off instead of being interrupted. I'd say replace "s..." with "s--" (well the long dash, but I don't know how to make that outside of Word o.o).

"'I don't need to "recover."" I put my hands up and made the quotation marks with my fingers." You don't need those double quotation marks. I think the common practice is to do it like this:
"I don't need to 'recover'." I put my hands up and...so on.

"'Hi Kayla.' my mom said cheerfully, coming into the room." You never seem to capitalize "my", though I think it would be better if you did.

As for different ways to say "said"
1. acknowledged
2. added
3. admitted
4. advised
5. affirmed
6. agreed
7. announced
8. answered
9. argued
10. asserted
11. assured
12. avoided
13. avowed
14. awakened
15. bellowed
16. blurted
17. bragged
18. cautioned
19. challenged
20. claimed
21. conceited
22. conceded
23. concluded
24. confessed
25. confused
26. continued
27. corrected
28. cried
29. deceived
30. decided
31. declared
32. demanded
33. denied
34. denounced
35. detected
36. disclaimed
37. disclosed
38. divulged
39. emphasized
40. estimated
41. explained
42. expressed
43. forewarned
44. founded
45. gasped
46. growled
47. grunted
48. guessed
49. hinted
50. insisted
51. interjected
52. interrupted
53. joked
54. lied
55. maintained
56. mentioned
57. mumbled
58. murmured
59. objected
60. offered
61. ordered
62. panted
63. pleaded
64. pointed out
65. prayed
66. preached
67. presented
68. proclaimed
69. promised
70. proposed
71. protested
72. quipped
73. ranted
74. recovered
75. related
76. reminded
77. repeated
78. replied
79. reported
80. restated
81. revealed
82. screamed
83. shouted
84. sighed
85. speculated
86. spouted
87. stated
88. stipulated
89. theorized
90. threatened
91. tolerated
92. underestimated
93. uttered
94. volunteered
95. warned
96. whimpered
97. whispered
98. wondered
99. yelled
100. yelped
(Got it off a website a while ago).......(Also, sorry this review takes up so much space now xD)







Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on August 11, 2014
Last Updated on August 11, 2014
Tags: girl, hospital, blind, teenager, canada, loss, death, love, chemical, pain, sadness, fiction, drama, heartache, mother, daughter, doctor, hurt, surprise, brain, eyes, one direction, fan fiction


Author

Hannah L.
Hannah L.

Canada



About
I am a young aspiring writer who will be writing mostly fan fictions. I will greatly appreciate any and all critique and reviews. I am always looking to be a better writer and knowing what you think.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Hannah L.


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Hannah L.


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Hannah L.