Six Things to Live By

Six Things to Live By

A Story by Speak in Silence

Her silence kills me, but when she speaks her words play off her tongue like a soft song but scream into my ears. A whisper so slight its carried away with the wind, but I am the only one who hears her sweet words. She's a voice never heard but yet it could change your mood, maybe even your perspective on life. Still no one listens. It's almost as if she's invisible to the world. No one but me can actually see her.

He crystal blue eyes tell stories of children dancing, but yet I can see her sadness. She has little life left but so much to give. The wrinkles on her face show her ups and downs in life. She has so much wisdom, but she only tells her tales to me.

She gazes out the window on this October afternoon. The sun illuminates up her face. The nurse walks in to check her IV. Her fumbling fingers look for the right tube. She fills it with the same clear liquid as always then walks out of the room.  She fixates her eyes on me, I know what she's asking for. I get up, walk across the room and shut the heavy wooden door. She only starts to speak as I sit down.

"This world is so cold..." I haven't heard her voice in days.

"...It Will never be the way it should," I don't respond, I know she has more to say.

"but don't you ever give up." She grabbed my hand. I looked down. Her hands had years built on them it would seem. I swallowed hard. I could already feel the lump forming in my throat. I knew what was happening.

"I am going to tell you six things to live by and you listen, got it?" I nodded my head, still looking down at her hand.

"  1. Never take anything for granite.
   2. If someone gives you something, take it.
   3. Follow your dreams.
   4. Keep your chin up."

She put her hand under my chin. I looked at her while she continued.

" 5. Love more than you hate.
   And most importantly,
   6. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

I felt a warm tear hit my hand. I wiped it with the back of my arm. She took my hand and squeezed it tight. She turned her head to look at the ceiling. She closed her eyes. I felt her grip loosen. I jump up out of my chair and I heard it hit the floor behind me. I grabbed her arm just as her monitor went flat.

"No! Don't leave!" Nurses flooded into the room, grabbing me, pulling me away. Everything was in slow motion. I felt the pinch in my arm and everything went black.

I awoke in a white hospital room with IVs in my arm and blurred vision.

"She's awake!" I heard to my left. I looked over to see my brother. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight. The steady flow of clear liquid into my arm, someone always holding my hand. Suddenly I knew what she felt like. I felt helpless.

I finally knew why everyone heard her silence.

© 2012 Speak in Silence


Author's Note

Speak in Silence
I have finally found what inspires me the most, inspiring stories. I decided I would do something that I have never done before, write something inspiring. Tell me what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this is very inspiring. The way the words flow together, I can't even describe it. You did have one or two spelling mistakes that threw off the flow a little, but other than that, amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

Aw thanks :)
#6 is sooooooooo true. Don't put of to tomorrow what you can do today.

Lots of folks put off life for 'another day', not realizing tomorrow is not guaranteed

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

yes it is :)
A touching story that invokes feelings of self-improvement with just the right touch of poignancy upon its climax, fulfilling its inspiring role rather well. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Great job! The details were really helpful to help me picture it. And I would love to read Your Little Secret but I'm not 18 yet haha

Posted 11 Years Ago


Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

Thank you, neither am I, its just got a little graphic-ness in it ;)
This is nice. I do believe that you are a very talented girl. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

aw Thank you :)
Great job. It was such a sad story. I think you write inspiring stories very well. Keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Speak in Silence

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Legolas

11 Years Ago

You're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

491 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012
Tags: old, wisdom, death, IV, silence

Author

Speak in Silence
Speak in Silence

NC



About
Hi! My name's Victoria and I'm a Tumblr addict. I love bands and my doggie Scoutypoo. I like going in vintage and antique markets and I like the smell of old books. I like how the sun shines through.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Steven Steven

A Poem by That1Nerd23