The Drog Chieftain and the Northern Queen

The Drog Chieftain and the Northern Queen

A Chapter by Matthew-Ryan Willams
"

The meeting between Annita and Baltor

"
MOTV SIDE STORY: The Drog Chieftain and the Northern Queen
Baltor cautiously walked through the quiet town. It was early in the morning, and the townspeople of Shockrum had yet to wake up. It had been to his great fortune that the gates were left open over night. Even though no one was about, his super sense of smell picked up the scents of breads and meats that had hung in the stores the day before. As he passed by one storefront, he noticed the owner had left some dried meats out on the counter. It would have been easy enough to break the door, eat, and escape before anyone saw him. He wanted to badly, but as chieftain his duty was to his people before himself. Outside the northern entrance to the town, he burst into a hard run. The sun would be rising soon, and he'd rather deal with as few humans as he could. Across the snowy field leading to the capital he ran. As the first rays of sun peeked over the horizon, he reached the outer guard wall. Laying the letter down before him, he roared with all his might. Two guards looked down from the post to the right of the gates. At first they couldn't make out what he was in the dim light, but as it brightened they signaled the alarm. Archers suddenly lined the walls; arrows drawn and poised the strike.
"What business do you have here beast!?" Yelled down one of the gate guards.
"I carry a letter for your queen from your king!" He yelled back. He stepped back so they could see the letter sitting in the snow. There were murmurs coming from among the archers. Finally, the gate guard spoke again.
"Very well, we shall see. Stay there, someone will be down shortly." The guards head disappeared from over the wall. Baltor took a seat next to the letter, he knew there was a long wait ahead.
Surprisingly though, the wait wasn't that long. He stood up as the gates opened, and a tall figure stepped out. To Baltor he looked like he was Mupani, but mixed with something else, and definitely not of the Swana Clan. He wore a heavy cloak that's covered his body, but a gust of wind blew it back for a moment revealing blue feather tattoos. He looked at this person strangely.
"If you are the queen, then humans have stranger tastes in mates than I believed," said Baltor. This caused the person to laugh.
"No my friend, I am not the queen. I am Baronias, general of the king's army, and close friend."
"I must speak with the queen," said Baltor, "Montessori said to give this to her directly."
"If you don't mind, may I see it?" Said Baronias walking towards the letter. Baltor moved to stand over it. Lowering into his attack stance, he bore his teeth.
"The future of my people is in this letter, I will give it to none other than the queen." Baronias stepped back into his boxing stance.
"You are making a mistake my friend, I wish you would reconsider your choice."
"I wish I could too." The tension grew around them as they prepared to fight. Baltor had not eaten in half a cycle. Had he conserved what energy he had after the run with Monte, and not ran to the capital, he knew he would have been in better shape to fight. Hunger was blurring his eyesight, he was just about at his limit. Just as Baronias began to move, a woman in a blue dress rushed from inside the castle.
"That is enough, both of you!" She yelled. The tension dispersed, and Baltor fell on his side unconscious, hunger had finally won.
When he came to, he was laying on hay inside a building. He slowly tried to get to his feet.
"Please don't try that just yet," a female voice said. He looked around to find where the voice was coming from. His sight was still blurry, but slowly cleared.
"Are you feeling better," the voice asked. He was able to locate where it originated from this time. He looked up at the woman in blue sitting on a stool in the corner. Her tanned skin, and flowing black hair reminded Baltor of his mate, Myna.
"Yes," he said, "I am much better."
"That is good news," said the woman. She lifted the letter from her lap and showed it to him.
"I hope you don't mind, but seeing as it was for me, I read it." Baltor shook his head.
"Not at all, it was meant for the queen."
"Good," she said with a smile, "I am Annita by the way."
"I am Baltor, it is nice to meet you."
"And I you." Baltor tried to stand up again, and Annita didn't stop him.
"How long have I slept," he asked.
"About three days, you were very weak from hunger." This news shocked Baltor.
"Three days! I must return to my people!" Annita stood up.
"What you must do is rest, your people have already been taken care of."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean provisions have been sent that should get them through the next cycle while hunting grounds are worked out."
"So my people have food?" Annita smiled and nodded her head. Baltor lay back down with a heavy thump. He felt light, as if a heavy burden had been lifted.
"Two of your tribesmen will arrive tomorrow, and we will start discussions then. For now, just rest and eat something." Baltor closed his eyes, and drifted back to sleep.
For the next cycle, the two groups worked out areas where they each could hunt, and coexist. In the end, both sides were happy with the deal. In that cycle, Baltor and Annita had become such good friends it pained her when it was time for him to go. As they stood outside the capital walls saying their farewells, Baltor presented her with a horn.
"Queen Annita, if you or your family are ever in need of my help, blow this horn. You and the Northern Drog Tribe are family now." She gave him a hug, and watched as they dashed off into the setting sun.

THE END......


© 2015 Matthew-Ryan Willams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on August 1, 2015
Last Updated on August 1, 2015


Author

Matthew-Ryan Willams
Matthew-Ryan Willams

St Clair, MI



About
Reading literature has always been a big part of my life, but lately I have taken to writing my own. Writing has saved my life numeral times in the last few years so I wanted to share what was created.. more..

Writing