Another Bound by Fate

Another Bound by Fate

A Chapter by Matthew-Ryan Willams
"

a depiction of Alisha's struggles while in her comatose state

"

The landscape of Alisha's inner world is scorched and destroyed. A once lush garden, full of plant life, is now burned and barren as one tries to overtake the other. The battle between Alisha and Iris, the other personality, has lasted fifteen days leaving them both bruised and battered. With their Mana running low, the fight is coming to an end. Iris, discovering Alisha's feelings for another, tries to make her face these feelings.

"Just admit how you feel," yelled Iris casting a fire spell.
"I can't admit to something that is not true," Alisha yelled back, deflecting Iris's attack.
"But it is true, you know you care for him, you have for sometime. Why won't you just let yourself care for him?" Alisha, at her limit, sat down on the ground.
"What good would that do, he loves someone else." Iris sat down next to her.
"That maybe so, but if you don't let him know how you feel, you will regret it forever." Alisha looked up at the blackened sky. The magical force the two of them created had scorched the sky leaving it charred and filled with smoke.
"Will I really Iris?" Iris wrapped her arm around Alisha.
"Yes my darling, it will hurt worse to not tell him than to tell him and be denied."
"But why him, of all the men I have met, why is it him I have feelings for?" Iris laughed.
"The heart wants what the heart wants, we can't help who we love."
"He is so much older than me though, what common ground could we have?"
"You won't know if you don't find out."
"But what if I do, and we don't have anything in common?"
"You have more in common than you think." Alisha looked at her confused.
"What do you mean?" Iris patted her on the head.
"Let's just say fate has given you both a role to play." Iris stood up and dusted off her tattered dress. "The dawn of the sixteenth day is approaching, so my time is done. I will give you one last chance to make a deal with me, or I will take your body for myself. You are my equal in skill but you know I have bested you in Mana usage. If I cast a high level spell, you won't have the strength to block it. So, what say you?" Alisha staggered to her feet. It was true what Iris said, she didn't have much strength left.
"Fine, I accept your terms, but let me ask you one thing Iris. It had bothered me for sometime, but your words about Mana usage have confirmed it for me. You are not really another me are you?" Iris looked surprised.
"But I am you dear, and so much more."
"What do you mean by that?"
"You will see in time. For now, go back to your friends, we will talk again soon." The world around Alisha began to fade until there was nothing. "Just so you know, I never wanted to take over. I just wanted you to be more open with others, and yourself." Iris's voice fades as Alisha leaves her inner world.
She opened her eyes to find herself leaning against a rock. She was dressed in her gear, and her wand was on the ground next to her. She looked up at the fungus illuminated sky.
"I'm back," she said, "I wonder how everyone is doing?"
"Monte, Vera, and Gresham are clearing the way for us to go topside," said a voice from the other side of the rock.
"Who is there," she asked cautiously. She heard footsteps as the person started to come to her side.
"Have you really forgotten me that fast," asked the voice coming closer to her. Looking up, she saw it was Miss Avhieta talking to her.
"Oh, it's you," she said rolling her eyes. She expected a snippy comment back from Avhieta, but there was nothing. Avhieta just stood there staring at her. She was becoming concerned when Avhieta asked her a question.
"Child," said Avhieta, "what color are your eyes?" She thought this was a peculiar question. Why would Avhieta care what color her eyes were? She wanted to know where this was going, so she answered her.
"They are brown. Why do you ask?" Avhieta shook her head.
"No reason my dear, just making conversation." That wasn't true though.
"Well, that is a strange conversation topic." She tried to stand up, but found it hard to move.
"What is wrong with my body?" Avhieta looked at her surprised.
"You have been asleep almost sixteen days! Did you expect to wake up at full strength?"
"That's right, I have been away that long. How did I get here?" Avhieta sat down and filled her in on everything that happened since she fell asleep, including how Monte carried her the whole time. She sat there listening quietly until Avhieta was done.
"And where are they now," she asked when Avhieta was finished.
"They are down in Stone Ridge fighting, but I fear for his life. More and more Swana have been running up the road for the city; I do not think they can defeat them all."
"I must go and help him then." She tried standing again, but still was too weak. "Damn," she yelled hitting the ground, "I need to get up!" Avhieta pulled a small vial of bluish green liquid from her bag.
"This will give you temporary energy. If you wish to help the others, drink this and go." She took the vial from Avhieta, and drank it with no hesitation. As she finished the last drop her body was flooded with energy. Her weak muscles burst with energy and she kept to her feet.
"You must hurry child, the potion will not last long."
"I will, thank you Avhieta," she said grabbing her wand, and running for the city. Avhieta returned to her side of the rock. The children were all asleep, but only because they had been enchanted by her. She sat down and leaned back against the rock; a smile spreading across her face. From deep within her, Surock spoke.
"What are you scheming Avhieta?" She shrugged her shoulders.
"I have no idea what you mean, I'm just having a bit of fun."
"Your "bit of fun" could cost that girl her soul. You saw the pitch black color of her eyes, and felt her powerful aura. That only happens once every five hundred full-cycles when a witch is born." Avhieta laughed.
"Yeah, weren't they the most beautiful eyes you've ever seen? To think I would see both the High King, and a witch in this one lifetime!" She rolled on the ground laughing hysterically. "The best part about this is the girl doesn't know the power she possesses. The table for the Day of Convergence shall be a full one!"
"I won't allow this Avhieta," said Surock, "As a priest of Toketa, I must maintain the balance of power in this world. Because they are neutral by nature, Witches are unpredictable and upset the balance. I will seal her powers so she doesn't become a threat later. Even those of your sect believe they should be dealt with." Avhieta stopped laughing; a scowl stretching across her face.
"You will do no such thing Surock. As a priestess of Koncheta, it is my duty to spread chaos, and lead the masses to worship my Creator. Just as you shall help Monte become a powerful High King, I will observe Alisha for the time being. If it becomes clear she is a threat to the world, then and only then will we seal her power away." She grasped a talisman she wore under the folds of her robe. "And if you tell Monte, or anyone else what a witch truly is, I will destroy this talisman, and the key to your freedom, do you understand?"
"I understand," said Surock, sadness in his voice. Avhieta leaned back against the rock.
"Don't be so gloomy Surock," she said stretching, "let's just sit back and watch the fate of this world unfold."
"And what fate will that be Avhieta?" She sighed deeply.
"I honestly don't know, our parts are insignificant ones. Even with our help, it is for those bound by fate to decide whether to follow the set path to the end, or break away and find their own paths to follow. Let us pray that they choose wiser than those before them." She clasped her hands together, and they both began to pray.
As Alisha ran towards the city, a feeling of dread came over her.
"Something is not right, I must hurry." She rushed into the city to help her friends, unaware the she had become yet another bound by fate.

END....


© 2015 Matthew-Ryan Willams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on August 1, 2015
Last Updated on August 1, 2015


Author

Matthew-Ryan Willams
Matthew-Ryan Willams

St Clair, MI



About
Reading literature has always been a big part of my life, but lately I have taken to writing my own. Writing has saved my life numeral times in the last few years so I wanted to share what was created.. more..

Writing