Midnight in the Garden of Oblivion

Midnight in the Garden of Oblivion

A Story by Matthew-Ryan Willams

I: Patient NW447


First off, there was no apocalypse. There was no ending of everything; no giant worldwide panic. As quietly as it began it ended. Now what, one might ask, am I referring to? Well, this all goes back about 6 years 6 months ago, back to the last time I was alive.
Now normally in stories like this, there is either some chemical outbreak, bacterial or viral infection that starts it. That's what makes this one so different; none of that happened. Just on June 6, 2006, at exactly noon, in a town of 1500 inhabitants that has since lost it's name, approximately half of its human population died at the exact same moment.
After hearing that one is probably thinking, "What the hell? How is that possible?" Well, to be honest, I don't even know. In the days following l, many called it The First Rapture or The Event. Newspapers, journalist, even television reporters from all over the country were interviewing those that were still alive. Yet the strange part was none of it was ever seen on television, the net, or in any regional or global newspaper. Now at this point one should be wondering, "How do you know, didn't you say earlier that you died?" The answer to that is yes and no. Yes, I died, but no it was not part of that event. I died much later, along with my faith, but we'll get to that. First let's cover the beginning.
It was about six months after The Event, that the first bit of strangeness occurred. Winter had just set in, and fresh snow covered all of town in a thin blanket, and t hings had finally settled down; emotions weren't running that high anymore. The cemeteries housing all of our lost loved ones had been filled to capacity, so new ones had to be built. It was while tending to one of these graves that Daniel Wallace made a striking, and terrifying discovery; a grave had been dug up. Now, in the six months following The First Rapture grave robbing, while rare, was an occurrence. What terrified poor Daniel was not the fact the grave had been dug up, but the that the digging came from inside.
Quickly writing down the name in his small daily journal he ran for City Hall. Looking at city records they identified the person and rushed to their home. What they found to this day, among those that were present, is considered both a miracle and an abomination. The home had been abandoned seeing that the family had long since moved, but sitting on the porch with her back against the boarded up door was a little girl. Her clothes were covered in mud, and her fingers were bleeding from crawl from underneath the ground. As she sat there with her face in her knees rocking back and forth silently crying, a lone police officer called out to her. As she lifted her eyes, she set into motion a chain of events that would later rock the town to its very core. On December 8, 2006 at approximately 3:00 p.m. Lisa Graham, or as she would come to be known, Patient LG0, returned from the dead.

© 2015 Matthew-Ryan Willams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay this gave me goosebumps....weird, but interesting.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You certainly have a ''knack for writing'' I enjoyed this very much ..keep up the great work !!

Posted 8 Years Ago


I'm not a big fan of zombie stories but this did grip me.

You have a nice narrator's voice.

I think that there is enough content here for you to enlarge the narrative.

Well done

Posted 8 Years Ago


Matthew-Ryan Willams

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. I plan to expand it when I can take a break from my other series.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
3 Reviews
Added on October 28, 2015
Last Updated on October 28, 2015

Author

Matthew-Ryan Willams
Matthew-Ryan Willams

St Clair, MI



About
Reading literature has always been a big part of my life, but lately I have taken to writing my own. Writing has saved my life numeral times in the last few years so I wanted to share what was created.. more..

Writing