Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Jonny B. Mitchell
"

After finally reaching the summit, there seems to be one set back.

"

Tower of Knowledge and Heartbreak

      For hours, after Kenny traveled past San Francisco by train and over the foggy Golden Gate Bridge by bus, he sat on the edge of a cliff, towering over the night time ocean. He just listened to the sound of the waves crashing below as his mind, for the first time, was blank. No thoughts ran through his mind, no worries ached his heart except for one time:

      William.

      The end of their relationship was officially final and nothing he could feel made him care anything more than the emptiness he felt on the lining of this stomach. He had cried for hours, watching the glow of the sun die behind the clouds and drowning in the chilly night air. His tear ducts were dry and the cold air kept him from crying further. The jacket he loved so much didn’t do much to keep him warm, but at that moment, nothing could bother him.

      A gentle ocean breeze gusted softly past him while he buried his face in his legs and wrapped ahold of them like they were about to float away. He shook his head in disappointment and confusion and wondered loudly why he let himself fall again for someone that had so many red flags at the beginning. But he soon answered himself with one word.

      Love.

      It had made him do the stupidest things for the craziest reasons for the person who didn’t care as much as he did. Kenny felt like this was a repeating thing between him and other men and figured the problem was himself. Maybe William was right in blaming the deterioration of their relationship on him. If he would’ve cleaned a little more, or smiled a little more, or did sexual favors more then maybe he wouldn’t have left.

      Kenny didn’t understand why other gay men wanted to be married when this was all he encountered, liars and cheaters. Even though he knew love knew no gender or sexual orientation, he couldn’t help asking the problematic question; why does it seem like same sex relationships fail so easily? Especially in the black gay community.

      He knew what he liked and was attracted to but it seemed to always end in some type of failure. Today was no exception but at least Kenny was able to get the words from William this time but that was a faint glint in a cavernous void.

      Memories of when they had their first date in the Mission District at a restaurant called Bagdad’s Café and how happy they looked together, smiling into each other. William had just started working at a local gym but was heading back east soon to start his own gym back home in Fort Lauderdale. Kenny was smitten with this man from the moment he laid eyes on him and was game for anything his lover pitched to him. The moment William suggested Kenny coming with, although apprehensive at first, he jumped at the idea to be with his man.

      Kenny remembered their place in the Wilton Manors neighborhood was very small and cramped for two people, but they somehow made it work. They spent a lot at Ikea and Anna’s Linens to decorate but even though the place looked like a vision out of a magazine, William forbade Kenny from having his high school friends and even family from visiting. It wasn’t until after long, Kenny felt trapped but also that this was as good as he was going to get from a man.

      William paid most of the bills, helped with rent since Kenny was working at the mall, and helped keep them both in shape. Their fights were few but the amount of days they spent in silence outnumbered many of the days of the year. At least it felt like that to Kenny. Why would he cry over missing that? Why would anyone care to spend a partnership in silence?

      And then it hit him why; he fell in love with William and it didn’t hurt the sex was amazing, even though he could count on one hand how many times they had sex a year. As Kenny was reminiscing over his failed relationship, he felt little water droplets hit his exposed neck. Then soon, it began to drizzle but even the rain didn’t budge Kenny to move. He was stuck in agony from beating himself up and couldn’t care less if he got sick from the cold wet drizzle.

      “Maybe this would be how the HIV takes me,” he sighed out loud dejectedly, “From a stupid a*s cold.”

      He was immobilized and phased out from the hurt that he didn’t even notice the drizzle stopping suddenly. It wasn’t until he felt someone sit right up on his left side, shoulder to shoulder, holding a multicolored umbrella large enough for two, that Kenny broke his daydream and looked over.

      His breath caught the sweet aroma of lilac and his nose was comforted by the tender scent of lavender. Without words, Kenny looked at Christian, unsure but a sense of salvation in his eyes, and tears came uncontrollably. Christian, hummingbird necklace around his neck dressed in khakis and a white t-shirt, pulled his glasses on the top of his head, wrapped Kenny by his waist and let him lay his head on his strong shoulder. They both just looked onto the night horizon in silence, now starting to clear up and the stars beginning to break out.

      The drizzle had let up but the two still sat, as Kenny lifted up his head and wiped his eyes.

      “I’m glad you’re okay.” He sniffled as he felt him tighten his hold, “Where do you go to?”

      “A safe house not too far from here,” Christian answered softly. So badly did Kenny want to caress his Protector’s exposed chest but suppressed the emotion that he figured was filling the void William left. More moments of silence fell over them as they just sat in each other’s presence. Christian was in no rush to get up off the wet ground but now Kenny was starting to feel soggy and uncomfortable. Almost like he read his mind, Christian pulled out from his pants pocket a small bean with red florescent light swimming inside, and smashed it on his Custody’s chest. It combusted in a small vapor that absorbed itself into the wetness and immediately Kenny and his clothes were dry. They listened to the ocean waves below crash into the sides of the cliffs in more prolonged peace before anyone said anything.

      “He left me.” Kenny finally voiced with heaviness in his tone, hearing a groan come from his left.

      “I figured he would do something like this to you,” Christian took his arm away, placed his glasses on his face again and stood up, “You want to walk around for a bit and maybe talk about it?”

      Kenny shrugged and stood up with Christian’s outstretched hand for support. They walked side by side, parallel to the ocean and gazed at the far away ships in the deep sea, sparkling from the moonlight.

      “You know that you deserve better, right?”

      “I guess,” Kenny sighed, “I hate that I still love him after so long.”

      “You can’t help that feeling, just let it flow and drift away in its own time.”

      “How did you get so wise?” Kenny joked, both of them smirking.

      “Just experience.”

      “I was going to say old age.”

      Christian laughed.

      “How old do I look?”

      Kenny smiled now.

      “Do you want a lie or the truth?”

      Christian playfully punched Kenny’s shoulder.

      “The truth, silly.”

      Kenny shrugged and looked away from Christian’s silly smile, trying to keep his smirk hidden to no avail.

      “I will be thirty-nine next year.”

      They walked together until the cliffs curved around and the trees of the Presidio in San Francisco were seen in the distance with the bridge meeting in the middle over the waters. Christian stopped gradually and faced Kenny.

      “There is something I want to show you.”

      “Um, okay?”

      He watched his Protector do concentric designs on his palm and waited for it to blink blue light as he thought what he was about to see. When Christian grabbed his wrist, they were thrown into a wormhole of fiery pixelated energy and in a split second, the ground and scenery solidified and formed. The first thing Kenny noticed was that it was freezing cold and the sun was rising over green hills and sparse pine trees.

      Christian broke into a sprint as Kenny jogged to keep up, hoping his body would warm up fast from the exercise. It was too cold for his liking without the correct clothing. But they weren’t outside long before Christian ducked under low hanging brush and led them up to a small, two story cozy cottage with a brick chimney on the right side blowing white smoke into the air. The windows were difficult to see in with the many wooded designs separating the distorted glass. As they approached the door, it looked the same as the windows but they saw the inside was full of tables with cushioned chairs, pool tables, darts on every wall and stools against the bar in the middle of the huge room with a roped off wooden steps behind it. Burly woodsman and women filled the bar to every corner and a quite a few cheered when Christian entered.

      He blushed and waved, shaking hands with random people introducing Kenny as his close friend. The signs on the boards weren’t in English and if he was correct in guessing, Kenny figured it was Norwegian and was equally impressed at Christian speaking it fluently. After finally making it to the bar, and Christian speaking more Norwegian to the bartender, they were lead up the roped off steps by a barmaid in a long ruffled fuchsia dress. She led them through thick burgundy doors and into a velvet walled room. The only windows were at the opposite end of the room and overlooked the mountains and hills beaming with sunlight. Huge fireplaces warmed the warm from both sides and three chandeliers dangled high above on the vaulted ceiling. There were rectangle tables the size to seat four with only a few of them full with families but Christian asked to be seated by the windows where the booths were.

      After they were seated, Kenny gazed in amazement out the window at the new country he was in. It was beautiful with snowcapped mountains and green healthy forests. Two steaming mugs of apple cider were placed in front of them as well as two menus. Kenny scoffed at not being able to read any other language but English or Spanish and Christian continued charming the barmaid while she giggled and scribbled on a small pad.

      Abruptly, she took the menus back and hurried off.

      “What did you order?” Kenny asked looking from Christian to the outside and back.

      “Lapskaus.” He answered with a matter of fact tone.

      Kenny just shrugged and sipped his cider and pleasantly surprised there was alcohol in it.

      “Pretend that I learned every language in the world and only by sitting here in this seat at this moment did I forget everything but English.”

      “It’s a very meaty stew.” Christian humorously snorted, “Very delicious really. I love it and it keeps you warm on a freezing day like this.”

      “Where exactly is this?”

      “Norway.”

      Kenny gazed happily out the window and took the scenery in even more now.

      “Norway? Are you serious?”

      “Yeah, I come here sometimes just to get away and clear my mind. I love the food here and the trails they have but I think they may be snowed in now.” Christian cleaned his glasses with the bottom of his shirt, replaced them and gazed out the window with Kenny.

      “I’m down for a snowy hike, granted we get the right clothes for this weather.”

      They met each other’s gaze.

      “Okay, I can do that.” Christian smiled, “So I thought maybe this would be a great place to help start you getting your mind off of-”

      The thick doors burst open and a short hairy man, with a ruffled suit and a bronze cane came rushing toward their table in excitement.

      “Andre! Andre! I didn’t believe them when they said you had arrived!” the man’s voice was raspy and low with a pinch of nasal congestion.

      “Svein! Yes, I am back! I can’t stay away from your delicious food here that’s why I’ve returned after a week!”

      The two met in a friendly chuckling hug, with Christian having to bend down on one knee.

      “You are welcome anytime, my friend, anytime! A friend of Percy’s is always welcome here!”

      “Percy?” Kenny quietly questioned but Christian brushed him away as he sat again. Svein caught sight of Kenny and looked him up and down with his wide different color eyes.

      “You must zot like women, no?”

      Christian blushed and coughed on his cider, Kenny snickered into his.

      “What makes you say that?”

      “You only visit here with oz’er gentlemen excluding Percy, of course-”

      “Who is Percy?” Kenny asked in a hush.

      “-There vas ze long haired skinny one-”

      “Drop it, okay?” Christian hissed under his breath to Kenny, while keep a small smile toward Svein.

      “-the full bodied dark haired one and now this kind gent that looks more like you.” Svein politely smiled at Kenny before quickly laughing at Christian, patting on him on the back, “No matter! All are welcome in ze House of Svein! Come, come, what are ze having tonight?”

      Kenny sighed and stared blankly at his menu while his Protector explained the dish he ordered, to which the owner quickly added more items to which he charged on the house once the barmaid scurried over to him.

      “Now,” the stubby man croaked once she vanished from sight, “What brings you on this side of the world again Mr. Adventure?”

      “Just passing through this time, really,” Christian yanked the menu from Kenny’s daydream and handed them back to the owner, “But now that you mention it, are the trails open with the snow?”

      “Of course zey are open, zilly! My trails are open all year round no matter what Mother Nature zays!”

      Christian nodded in thought.

      “Great. Would you have any hiking gear for the weather conditions by any chance? We came spontaneously, you know.”

      “Ah,” Svein stroked his long red beard slowly, “Yes, I do believe zat I have a couple left for zuse. Come zee me after your morning meal! God Morgen!”

      “Good morning, Svein.” Christian glared at Kenny, who was still staring out the window, leaning against his wrist, with a more bored look on his face, “I’m sorry that I can’t tell you who Percy is because it’s not up to me. So please drop it and enjoy this outing that I am taking you on! I mean, that b*****d did just break up with you.”

      Kenny sighed and looked up solemnly.

      “I’m sorry and thanks for this. I really do appreciate it.”

      “Don’t mention it, man. It’s my job.”

      The sun began to brighten up the large café with a glare from the snow that caused the workers to turn on an automatic dimmer to reflect the glare back outside. All the food that came filled the entire table with little room for a small plate; there was a dish of a yummy brown liquid with chunks of meat and slices of sausage floating at the top, two plates of a creamy type of porridge with homemade bread glazed with homemade butter and on the edge was a funnel cake looking dish without the sugar on the top but egg and bacon.

      They ate in small conversation, Kenny telling small pieces of everything William said to him and Christian hoping to never run into him again. Briefly the Protector explained how he had aid in the battle he expelled Kenny from, once the question was asked, making sure to dodge who the aid was. It explained the large crater he was standing in last time he projected there. Occasionally, the two would look out the window together at the snowy mountainous and green pastures scene. A sense of tranquility ran through the both of them as the meal progressed on.

      A few hours later, after leaving a large tip and getting the gear from Svein in the lower most level of his house that resembled a mad scientist room to Kenny, they made their way onto the snowy trail. The snow wasn’t too bad but it was all new to the Miami native. He had seen snow on television, movies and books but never under his feet. Or around his ankles as it was now.

      The chill sent a shiver up his spine as they climbed up the incline. Christian was unusually quiet during the hike, seeming to be in deep thought. Kenny attempted to see what the matter was but always talked himself out of it at the last moment. It seemed Christian’s cheery mood was left back at the café house and Kenny hated every second of it.

      But quick as the wind shifted, they approached a tall ledge that overlooked a large icy gorge. It glistened in the sunlight, sparkling the cliffs with snow and sleet. Kenny’s breath was taken away at the clear view seen for miles and miles. Mountains and gorges surrounded his vision and when he looked up to view Christian, he noticed a tear was in his eye.

      “Are you okay, Christian?”

      “Oh, yeah, yeah,” He quickly dabbed his eye with his sleeve, “The view is spectacular isn’t it?”

      Kenny couldn’t remember William every bringing him to anything this beautiful. They stayed in South Florida and never even went on a cruise to the Bahamas or a weekend getaway to the Keyes. He felt a shining in his soul at the bit of his stomach that warmed his body and noticed a very faint golden hue on his skin. The view was so breathtaking he only thought of sharing this moment with his friends.

      “OH S**T!” Kenny quickly unstrapped his oversized Velcro coat, jolted his hand in his side pocket of his jacket and pulled out his cell. It was on Silence Mode and had already missed twelve calls from Malcolm, twenty texts from Shawn and dozens from the others,

      “Do you think I can get MetroPCS in Norway?”

      Christian chuckled and handed Kenny his relic phone from the satchel under his coat. It was the size of a banana and its antenna had to be manually pulled out. Once all the calls were made to the astonished voices at the information of Norway and William leaving him, Christian pocketed the phone and began climbing up again behind them.

      “Wait! Where are you going?”

      “I said I wanted to show you something, remember?” Christian answered not looking behind him.

      “That wasn’t it?”

      “Of course it wasn’t it. Come on and stop all the belly aching.”

      Kenny reluctantly climbed more, enjoying seeing more of the clear sky and scenery, as Christian suddenly stopped at a random stop on the trail and sniffed. He looked over to the rocky wall and rubbed it in the middle before his hold fell into a makeshift button. The wall shook quickly before a piece of it slid sluggishly open like a door.

      “We can’t access the top going up this trail.” Christian explained when he saw Kenny’s confused look.

      “Another mountain shortcut?”

      “Come on.” He gently pushed Kenny in the darkness.

      They entered the opening, which automatically closed once Christian was the last in, and the walls themselves illumined with yellow and orange light as it revealed another sharp incline ahead. They took off the heavy coats and left them at the door as Christian instructed. The air was easy and lukewarm, allowing the climb to be more pleasant. The walls were made of clear crystal that danced with light inside of them and the ceiling was close enough to touch.

      Kenny’s body was full and energized but the constant incline was making his legs burn. Christian remained silent throughout the climb but it seemed that none of climb was bothering him. They eventually climbed toward a small opening that greeted with beaming sunlight and exited onto a snowy platform overlooking a huge river and rolling green hills and forest.

      There was a huge symbol of a dragonfly tail tied with a hummingbird etched into the snow. Christian smiled and inhaled deeply.

      “This is what I wanted to show you.”

      “A design made in the snow?” Kenny frowned.

      “You know, you’re a kill joy sometimes.”

      “I just got broken up with a second time, what do you expect?”

      Christian shrugged and looked down at the symbol.

      “This isn’t just any design in the snow, it’s how I get to you in the other plane.”

      “By what, stepping on this?” Kenny’s voice had wonderment in it now, staring down relentlessly.

      “More like in it,” Christian doodled on his palm and with its blue shadow, the symbol absorbed the palm light and flashed out rays of energy, twirling into the air and forming into a beautiful standing mirror with diamond encrusted trimmings, “I was able to carve an opening right to the edge of the tower we are heading to and the good news is that you don’t have to be sleep this time. Travel is on me.”

      He flashed those pearly whites which made Kenny blush and looked toward the mirror.

      “We are almost done with this? No more attacks anymore?”

      “Not in that plane.”

      They inched their way to the front of the mirror and Kenny noticed it had a deep clear reflection in the glass.

      “Ready?”

      Kenny broke his attention and stepped back a little. And after a few moments of hesitation, he agreed.

      “Good,” Christian touched the glass and it abruptly shattered into a thousand spinning shards that flowed into the design in the snow. And with a quick blaze, white powdery light passed through and around them (forming the katana at Christian’s side) and another bright blaze and they were in the spiritual plane, surrounded by the ruin that was left from the battle. The small crystal path was still being lighted by the moon and began following it without pause.

      “I wasn’t able to leave this crater when I was here earlier.”

      “You were here?” Christian had a sense of agitation in his tone, “You weren’t supposed to be able to get back here without me.”

      “Maybe my power is stronger than you first realized, I don’t know. All I do know is that I couldn’t move at all.”

      “At least that worked.” The Protector muttered, “There’s too much darkness and evil on its way through the universe to get at you. I need you to try and project yourself back if you find yourself anywhere new without me.”

      “You say that like I can just snap my fingers and go instantly with thought.”

      “If that’s how it happens for you.”

      The crystal path wormed out of the barren land and up to a large standing wall of vine that seemed to be protected from that acid rain. Christian stabbed his katana in the center that became a spider-web of fire and burned outwards to reveal the edge of two gigantic mountains meeting together, creating a very narrow cliffy opening that grew darker as they looked onward. The Protector inhaled deeply and tapped his necklace twice.

      Almost instantly, as if hatching from a shell, Hummer broke from the pendant and ruffled her feathers in a daze.

      “Sorry you didn’t charge much but I need a light ahead and then you can go back to sleep again.” It sounded to Kenny that Christian was trying to reason with a child. Hummer didn’t respond but just illuminated a bright white light and fluttered lazily ahead. As they had just enough room to maneuver through the gigantic trench, Kenny noticed the walls were scorched black and cracked everywhere he looked, on both sides.

      It wasn’t long before they reached the end of the tunnel and Hummer automatically flew to Christian’s chest and fused in a small circular energy to create the pendant around his neck. When they both looked up, it was an uplifting sight for Kenny; they were both standing at the entrance to the grounds that the mountainous size tower stood on. It was covered for miles with vines, plants and moss growing on it. Stone coliseum type seating was parallel to the wall but it too was overgrown with greenery. A heavy white mist hovered high above to block sight to the top but the moonlight broke through and the crystal path led right into the center of the tower and at the grace of the night time light, the foliage parted and allowed them to pass through.

      There was a type of eternal evening twilight inside that allowed them vision around the room. They walked into an immense size foyer, with yellow crystal pillars as tall as the tower itself, lining the walls with stone staircases and archways into other abandoned rooms. A type of divine light emanated from the pillars but it was very faint but strong enough to send feelings of hope and despair deep in Kenny’s soul when he touched it.

      He swore he heard his name being whispered again in the wind.

      “You feeling alright?” Christian asked, placing his hand gently on Kenny’s shoulder.

      “Oh, yeah,” He broke his attention from the pillar, “You were correct about this being the place I can get my answers. There’s something I can feel in this place that feels, I don’t know…right.”

      “You ready to head on till we get to the top then?”

      They rushed up the floors of steps, resting at a stone archway that led to an empty lake with the stairs beginning again behind it. As they ascended the stone steps, the walls became transparent and they were in awe at the moons beaming in the night. But as if the stairs needed them to keep moving, it shook softly and rolled their feet ahead.

      At the last door, positioned at the upmost part of the tower, they slowed their step and Kenny eventually hesitated. The light from the other side of the door was bright like a morning sunrise but the walls showed it still being night outside.

      “I’m scared.” Kenny muttered. Christian doubled back and gripped his shoulder.

      “Of what?”

      “Everything. All that I know is about to change for me. For my family. My friends. I won’t be the same person I was when this all happens.”

      There were a few light fluffy clouds that brushed by the vision of the biggest moon.

      “Change is good, you know that?” Kenny found a calming understanding in Christian’s voice, “You are a very strong person and whatever happens from this point forward, know that you have me at your side. I promise I won’t let anything happen to you that will cause any pain or harm because I am your protector. If you’re scared, tell me. If you’re feeling alone, call on me.”

      Kenny looked up at Christian slowly, with eyes full of dreams.

      “I could really fall for you.”

      “You wouldn’t want to do that,” he waved Kenny away somberly, “I’m too complicated.”

      But Kenny grabbed Christian’s wrist as he turned to walk up toward the archway.

      “Explain to me what that means?” His voice demanding, “Who isn’t complicated or damaged or comes with baggage? Do you understand how vague you are being with me? How am I supposed to trust-”

      “Why do you care so much? What does it matter?” Christian didn’t look back but his voice was still heavy and soft, “Didn’t you just get out of a relationship with that b*****d of a boyfriend of yours?”

      “We had broken up long before-”

      “Protectors shouldn’t be involved with their Custody.”

      “That sounds like a copout-”

      “Learn to fall for yourself, Kenny. Embrace your own beauty through your own eyes. I can’t fill that void that you are filling right now and I’m sorry but I just can’t…”

      Christian inhaled deeply, looking up with his eyes shut in agony.

      “I just can’t love you like you need to be loved right now.”

      Kenny dropped his hold and sighed deeply.

      “You’re lying to me. It’s in your voice, somehow, I can hear it.”

      Christian snapped his attention in confusion and unhappiness.

      “Kenny, I…I…”

      “Just tell me.”

      The Protector dropped his head in defeat.

      “Can we please just go?”                    

      “Why can’t you tell me?”

      “I’m sorry, please understand that I mean that. But I just can’t tell you why.”

      For the first time, Kenny felt helpless toward Christian. He wasn’t angry or upset but felt the deepest sympathy and pity from the break and crackle in his Protector’s voice. Gradually, he gently pushed past Christian and up toward the archway.

      A sudden clap of thunder startled them both as they approached the top of the immeasurable tower that could be seen from miles away. It oversaw the barren lands the acid rain touched, the mountain ranges that were left cracked and scorched from the attack, the cliffs that ran against rivers of fire and thick heavy mist that covered the other untouched jungles. There was a large radiating white light pulsating from the center but its rays were only reaching the battlements before dimming away.

      With each step they took toward the light, white clouds would raise around their feet until it covered to their knees. Thunder rumbled gently with a light breeze picking up around the center. Christian approached it with wonder and caution as he stood across from Kenny, who shared the same emotions. The light wasn’t blinding to their eyes and it gave off a loving feel that warmed their souls and spirits.

      “Go on.” Christian instructed with marvel in his tone.

      “What do I do?”

      “Whatever comes to you naturally.”

      And without thinking, he reached out to touch the warm and pulsating ball of light. Snappishly, it began dancing wildly and creating a whirl of shocking psychedelic energy surrounding the two. A deep gong was heard above them causing a sudden crash of blue light (which was wrapped in fire, water and electricity) to orbit around into the center. Once it met together, everything stood calm and peaceful with the exception of the walking personification of light.

      They noticed they were standing in a void of white energy, clouds at their feet and blue skies above. Christian stood at Kenny’s side, both thunderstruck. When the spirit spoke, it spoke with pose and it demanded attention yet there was compassion etched in the tone.

      “The Host of the Chaos seed arrives!” It echoed while walking unthreateningly toward them, “This moment was foretold long ago. With your arrival the prophecy will be fulfilled and everything will begin.

      “What will begin?” Kenny stepped forward, “Please, I just need to know who I am! What am I supposed to be here for? I don’t know how you expect me to save this place when I can’t even save myself!”

      The spirit stopped walking to their surprise and in a blink, there was a rush of mighty wind and loud crash that shook the tower violently. It knocked the two of them to their knees with Christian reaching to shield Kenny. But as quick as it began, it ended.

      Fire was heard crackling beneath their feet and when they stood up, it was as the spirit encamped them in a silvery transparent shield to protect them from the horrific scene around them. The earth was consumed with flame and people lay on the ground struggling to breath and burning to ash. Trees were engulfed and the inferno was absolute all around them.

      “This is what is to come if the Host of the Chaos seed does not exists.” The angelic voice rang out, “The power of the mighty soul will be won to the hells of Dark-El and his unquenchable thirst for blood and power.

      Kenny felt Christian grab his hand and squeezed softly, his grip shaking a little. Dark clouds infested the sky with flying dark silhouettes of demons and winged skinless creatures. Bodies were being ripped apart and chewed up. Blood was splattered on every rocky surface and the earsplitting cries were unanswered and unbearable. Black lightning destroyed everything built and tsunamis of lava rushed behind them like a raging bull, completely obliterating the people caught in its rampant path.

      And then Kenny gasped and covered his mouth in horror.

      Tonya, Jerry, Teddy, Junior and Shawn hung from a willow tree, bleeding from their heads dripping to the simmering ground below. But when Kenny went to step toward them and Christian grabbed him back, his friends spontaneously combusted into a rage of brimstone and fire, screaming in excruciating pain.

      “STOP IT! PLEASE STOP!” Kenny screamed as he fell back into Christian, sobbing as his friends burned.

      “There will be no end to Dark-El’s terror! There will be no stopping to his power! YOU are the only one who can stop this, Host of Chaos! Accept your destiny and walk in your truth!” The voice boomed, “You are not ready!

      Without further explanation or hesitation, there was another sudden rush of wind and a bright flash that blinded them. And with a snap and sudden pull at their stomachs, both Christian and Kenny were tossed back forcefully and landed on a hard surface.

      “MAL! KENNY’S BACK!”

      Kenny opened his eyes and inhaled deeply. The sky was dusk, air easy to breath and Shawn’s voice was still as booming as ever. When he forced himself on his side, he noticed the wooden gate was a few feet away and figured he was in his own backyard.

      “You okay?” Christian asked from behind, startling Kenny. Shawn had begun approaching them with his e-cigarette in his hand and Malcolm came busting out the back door. Kenny nodded as they were helped to their feet.

      “You know those are just as bad for you.” Christian said to Shawn in casual conversation, to which Shawn cussed and threw the plastic cigarette into Junior’s side of the fence. But the two became suddenly focused on Kenny when Malcolm kept yelling his name.

      He had passed out cold as soon as he stood to his feet.



© 2015 Jonny B. Mitchell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on June 30, 2015
Last Updated on July 7, 2015
Tags: love, supernatural, friendship, dreams, gay, demon, hell, hiv, homosexuality, protector, the collection


Author

Jonny B. Mitchell
Jonny B. Mitchell

Los Angeles, CA



About
Born in Virginia but moved to California in 2004. Enjoys reading book version of movies. Loves motion seating in the theater. Camping, fishing and baseball top the list of most enjoyable acti.. more..

Writing