3. Bridgeport

3. Bridgeport

A Chapter by The Proletarian
"

Chapter 3. Left to die in an alleyway, Bull's consciousness spli- In the quiet riverside town of Bridgeport, nothing ever changes; but Victoria dreams of greater things.

"
Life in Bridgeport was slow, long, and full of nothing.

At dawn I'd sweep the floors and fluff the pillows, and try to fight the stench of the Thames. Outside, fishmongers mongered fish.

The people there had no faces: I said their names and knew them not. By day I'd make few memories, at night I'd dream no dreams.

And I got older, and Bridgeport stayed the same.

Now it's time to leave, I hear the city calling.

Say my name.

"Victoria".

She's above me now, suture, mask, and bored concern.

"What day is it?"

"What... day is it."

A sterile hand yanks at my arm, tapping, officious faces huddle over me. I yank back: something pops, a patient monitor blinks in protest.

"Try not to move." "Delta waves at naught point 2. Reset."

The room is lurid white. I smell fish.

"Say your name."

***

Vicky's legs are trembling, head thrown back and moaning. Her skin is slick with sweat, a heavy musk of sex and... and fish.

I hear the river Thames.

Her legs give out, she claws my chest and gasps "Delta one, neurofeedback loop"

***

Say your name.

"Vic- oh God!"

I'm dying. Hot blood like an insult leaves me, I'm getting cold. Sol's kid, what was his name, Paul? Paul's got a hole in his head, his brains and blood are feeding dirt.

His eyes snap up to meet me.

"Action's on you."

***

My spirit floats in space, propelled by the inertia afforded it when my soul left.

I'm trying to remember. To track my soul by the trajectory of that spirit. An asteroid collides, the trajectory changes.

Boom.

Now I'm trying to be myself, but I can't remember how.

Boom.

If nothing is ever created or destroyed, how is this a tragedy?

Boom.

I am a million souls, lost a million years ago, ten years ago. Yesterday.

Boom.

It doesn't matter, I can't remember.

Say my name.

***

"Bull".

I say the name aloud, I don't know why.

The doctor sighs, relieved. My monitor is steady.

"Easy now, Duchess' boy".

The doctor, Victoria, Paul, Sol, Bull sticks a needle in my arm.


© 2021 The Proletarian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Roy
Not sure what's going on here but I was riveted all the same. "Fish mongers mongered fish", I found this line hilarious, still laughing.
Has the feeling of a really bad trip. Shoulda took that left turn at Albuquerque.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
1 Review
Added on February 20, 2021
Last Updated on February 20, 2021
Tags: cyberpunk, science fiction, mental illness


Author

The Proletarian
The Proletarian

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



Writing
Oil Oil

A Story by The Proletarian