Wings

Wings

A Story by Mother_Yolk
"

And like Oedipus, I could not change my fate...

"
There I was, standing naked on the ledge of my apartment building. Wind kissed me in places my girlfriend would never see. I felt free. I could just fly. I could soar amongst the birds and touch the top of the trees. The reason I wanted to do this was so simple, yet it could not be explained. I suppose I wanted to punish myself for everything I've done. I stepped back from the ledge and onto the solid, cold ground of my apartment roof. Turning back, I saw a rotting corpse. I had kept it under my bed for over two weeks now and my landlord was more than suspicious. I couldn't tell her that my brother's rotten corpse was merely beneath my head when I slept at night. I crouched down near him. His face was sunken and falling apart. His once pale skin was all blotchy now, spotted with decay and dark dried blood. He reeked. I dragged him to the ledge and didn't think twice as I threw him off along with me. A moment of bliss. The wind slapped me this time. I could barely open my eyes to see how fast I was falling, but I felt as if I had wings. Wings to whisk me up higher, ensuring me that jumping was never a solution to endless sorrow that I will regret in the afterlife. The fall lasted a split second before I heard the sound of most my bones shattering to pieces inside of me. The quick pain was nothing compared to the desolation I felt. I had landed on top of my brother, whose body was most likely scattered beneath me. I could not move nor talk nor see. I was dead, but my mind was still capable of functioning. I was but a mind whose existence was meaningless. A mind who thought killing their brother to become their parents' favorite was justice and right. A mind whose physical body was once kissed by the wind, in places where their girlfriend would never touch. A mind who would suffer forever and ever, drowned in a sea of remorse. I was but a mind who couldn't sprout wings in time to change his bloody fate.
The End.

© 2014 Mother_Yolk


Author's Note

Mother_Yolk
Tell me what you think of all this... (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

ah... intense. i love how the narrator is aware that what he is doing isn't exactly the best solution to his problems... very nice short story!! all the imagery and the thoughts of the narrator are excellent...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mother_Yolk

10 Years Ago

Thanks so very much. I appreciate your thought on this story!
I enjoyed reading this, very good! I didn't expect for him to hop off a ledge. Nicely done! I especially enjoy how this story is dark and twisted but doesn't go overboard with it. And the wind kissing and slapping added some nice imagery, must've been cold that day.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mother_Yolk

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the commentary! I also imagine it being cold that day, just to add to the sheer darkne.. read more
Oh my god this is so... Sad? I don't know what to call this. It's awesome... and dark... and a bit frightening that a mind like yours is capable of writing such things. I really enjoyed this. I want wings now!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mother_Yolk

10 Years Ago

Hahah... Yeah, it's pretty sad and dark... But, don't we all want wings? To whisk us away from our o.. read more
The Fortieth

10 Years Ago

Wow. That's pretty deep. Lol. No problem and keep writing!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on March 15, 2014
Tags: Death, Murder, Hatred, Regret, Suicide, Dark

Author

Mother_Yolk
Mother_Yolk

Somewhere in South America.



About
"Remember how in that communion only, beholding beauty with the eye of the mind, he will be enabled to bring forth, not images of beauty, but realities (for he has hold not of an image but of a realit.. more..

Writing