Finding the Dark Tunnel Inside

Finding the Dark Tunnel Inside

A Story by Ms. Spriggs
"

Blurbs.

"

Blank Stares. Everyone wonders why we do it, some more than others. I'm not talking about the time when sadness overcomes a person and they stare blankly into space, speechless and miserable. I'm talking about those times when you can be in a restaurant with your entire family, chatting with your best friend, or driving--and all the sudden, without realizing it, you find yourself staring.

 

For just a moment, your body took the reigns. Functioned in whatever manner without a single conscious thought, and your eyes, they simply did not see. It's as if you existed on the outside and not on the inside.

 

It was preciously in this moment I found myself staring.

 

It was a simple summer morning. I got up, got my coffee, and slid into a chair at the table. Yesterday's paper was there and today's was outside. Thinking of my laziness, I pulled the already read paper in front of me and began to reread stories. A black, chewed on bic pen lay beside it, so I began to doodle as I read, drawing vampire teeth on the mayor and puttting nose rings on Hillary Clinton.

 

After refinishing the newspaper photos, I decided to color in all the words after they had been read, creating solid lines of black ink rather than neat print.

 

...And that's when it happened, the blank stare. It must've been minutes.

 

When I looked down, all I could see were black lines. Every letter, in essence, had become a part of the collective.

© 2008 Ms. Spriggs


Author's Note

Ms. Spriggs
Ok this time the title is just wacky. I had some idea that if I wrote a title without thinking of a piece something would follow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your title is not as wacky as you think ... It's been a long time since I've read something that clicked instantly on an emotional level. In my line of work I have to do a lot of reading and sometimes the stuff I read makes me want to doodle or draw lines! Onlike you I am not reading papers but loads of online reports, so I cannot doodle or draw black lines, but sometimes I do black out due to the content of what I am reading: so much misery that you cannot see the light at the end of the black tunnel ...
Or ... reports written in a crappy style or full of grammatical errors that make you wonder if the report was written by someone who actually went to college and obtained a degree...
Keep on doodling and drawing lines. I will be visiting here again!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 24, 2008
Last Updated on May 24, 2008

Author

Ms. Spriggs
Ms. Spriggs

NY, Azerbaijan



Writing
What? What?

A Story by Ms. Spriggs


Livid. Livid.

A Story by Ms. Spriggs