Murder of crows

Murder of crows

A Story by HadesRising
"

Horror story

"
There was a loud knock on the door and my 8 year old half-lab half-mutt Macey started barking. I answered the door to a man in a police officer’s uniform.

“What is it tonight, Frank?” I said.

“It is Officer Thomas to you” he said as he lowered his hand toward his gun, “and you better shut that dog up before I do it for you.”

“You know she is tame and won’t bite anybody” I said as I reached for her collar and put her in the bedroom.

“Sorry OFFICER THOMAS” I said “I didn’t know you were on duty.

“Quit being a smart a*s” he said. “Being a police officer is a 24/7 job. I am always on duty unlike you and your s****y office job where you work a few hours and are off every weekend.”

“24/7? You must get some killer overtime then right?” I said.

“You know what I f*****g meant” said Frank.

“What did I do this time Frank?” I asked. “Are you going to try to write me a ticket for illegally parking in my own driveway again? The judge loved that one.”

“You mowed your lawn when you knew I would be sleeping” he said. “You think it is funny I have to be out protecting your sorry a*s on hardly any sleep. I am not going to warn you again.”

“Are you threatening me?” I asked. “You are really here because I mowed my yard at 9 am before it got too hot outside?”

“Why don’t you just move already?” he said with a smug look on his face.

“Move?” I said. “I have been living here for longer than you. This was my grandparents house who left it to me. You are the one who should move. Everything was perfect until you moved in to the neighborhood.”

“You need to move because I don’t like living next to you.” he said as he walked away. “You need to check with me before you mow your lawn. I need my sleep since I am a police officer.”

I slammed the door shut and lifted my middle finger into the air “F*****g A*****e!!!!” then I went and let Macey out of the bedroom.

Four years of this bullshit. Four long years.

When he first moved in I thought having a police officer living next door would be a great thing. It might make the neighborhood safer since he would park his police car outside every night. And I used to think that someone who put their life on the line every day to protect the people from the “bad guys” would be a respectful person and someone I would love to have as my neighbor.

I could not have been more wrong. He thinks he runs the entire neighborhood. I have never met someone who i a bigger a*****e than he is. He thinks that just because he is a police officer that he has authority over everybody at any time. Even worse is he isn’t completely wrong. If you get on the wrong side of a police officer like him in this small town he can and will make your life a living hell.

It started a s soon as he moved in. First, it was my dog s**t in his yard one time. I even bagged it up when it happened but that wasn’t enough. Eventually I had to build an 8 ft high privacy fence to keep Macey from accidently crossing his property line. I didn’t have the money, but if it would shut him up about having my dog sent to the pound and put to sleep it was worth it. That dog is my best friend.

Then he complained that she barked too much when she was outside and he couldn’t sleep. Macey is your typical dog. She isn’t a puppy and only barks when someone knocks or the UPS truck goes by. She is not a loud dog and only goes out for a few minutes at a time as she is an indoor dog.

It is not just my dog but he always finds something to be an a*****e over. My car is too old. My yard needs to be mowed but only when he allows it. I hate him. He hates me. I know he hates me. The only thing he hates more than me is the crows. And that is exactly why I feed the crows every single day.

After he left, I let Macey out of the bedroom and went to the backyard to feed the crows. Feeding them always made me feel a little better when he would piss me off.

Frank hates crows. He loved to garden before he moved here but can’t anymore because the crows always eat everything he plants. He has tried everything to get rid of them like a scarecrow, putting out poison, even trying to shoot them but nothing works.

What started as a petty act of revenge to get the crows to stay in our neighborhood to piss him off has actually turned into something I enjoy. After a while you start to recognize individual crows. They all look the same at first but eventually you see some physical differences as well as some personalities. It is said that crows are some of the most intelligent birds in existence and they never forget a persons face. After a few years of feeding them I believe it. Crows are some of the most amazing animals in the world. It is just pure luck Frank also hates them.

My favorite bird is one I named Franklin. I named him that because no matter how big of an a*****e Frank is, having my favorite crow named Franklin is just my way to make sure the name Frank is associated with something good. It is dumb and passive aggressive as hell but it is little victories like this that help me not let Frank beat me.

Franklin sits on a telephone pole outside my yard every day. Morning and night he sits and watches. When I put the food out he is always the first to eat. The other crows yield to him, at least when it comes to my yard. Sometimes he even brings me body parts of animals he’s killed. At first it was weird but I realized it was a gift. Kinda like I feed him my food so he is sharing his food with me. It is pretty cool in a morbid type of way.. He is my crow.

She’s dead.

Macey is dead.

That a*****e killed her. He killed my best friend. I could tell something was wrong with her and got her to the emergency vet as fast as I could but I wasn’t fast enough. The vet did everything he could but she was poisoned. The vet suspects she was given antifreeze. Apparently it taste sweet and dogs will drink it. I don’t know how he did it but there is no doubt it was him.

He has went too far this time. I have got to do something.

I went over to his house and banged on his door.

He answered the door with a smirk on his face. “What do you want?” He asked.

“You killed her. You f*****g killed her” I said. “I know damn well it was you.”

“I haven’t killed anybody” he said. “I don’t know what you’re talking about”.

“You killed my dog.” I said.

“What proof do you have?” He smirked “and what are you going to do about it?”

I didn’t say a word. I just stared daggers into his eyes. It took everything I had not to punch him in his face. I would have done it too if he wasn’t jacked up on steroids and would have loved more than anything than for me to give him an excuse to beat the s**t out of me then put me in jail after. .

“You should go down to the station and fill out a police report. Since you are my neighbor I will look into this one myself. I’ll give you the special treatment you deserve.” He laughed before shutting the door in my face. F*****g A*****e.

There was nothing else left to do except go home. He won again. He always wins. I always thought once I grew up the bullying would stop. The bullies would eventually move on and become adults and get over whatever inferiority complex they had. But I was wrong. Some bullies grow up to become a*****e cops and use their position to continue to bully others around they don’t like.

I grabbed a beer out of the fridge and went outside to feed the crows. I would be lying if I said I didn’t cry. I broke down. She was my best friend and didn’t deserve to die that way. I was alone without her. She was all I had that I truly cared about

I looked up from my seat and on the other side of the porch table perched on a chair was my crow, Franklin. He had never came this close before. He didn’t move. He just sat and watched me. It was like he knew what happened or noticed Macey was gone and came to comfort me.

And he sat. Perched on the chair. Watching me. I waited for him to leave but he didn’t. He just stayed.

He killed her Franklin. He did it. I know it with all my heart. He is the only one who would do something like that. I even thought about putting up security cameras but didn’t. Maybe she would still be alive if I had.

I poured my heart out to the crow. He didn’t move. He didn’t make a noise. He just sat there like he was listening to me. Somehow I needed this.

He won Franklin. I have to move. I can’t live next to the a*****e who murdered my best friend. I’m sorry. I’m going to miss you buddy. I wish someone would kill that a*****e for what he did. He deserves it for what he did to us.

Franklin cried out a loud “CRRRRAAAAAAAAAA CRRRRRAAAAAAA!!!!” Then flew back to his post.

I finished my beer and decided to go in for the night.

The next morning I slept in late. I didn’t really want to get out of bed and face the day at all without Macey by my side but I forced myself out of bed anyways.

I went to brew a pot of coffee and glanced out the window where I could see that a*****e Frank outside in his backyard tending to his s****y garden. He was clearly pissed off and cursing at the crows who had destroyed his garden again. It gave me a little smile and a much needed laugh to know my crows had taken something away from him.

I poured my cup of coffee and went and sat outside on my patio. I looked up and Franklin was in his spot. I glanced around the sky and saw crow after crow just sitting on the telephone lines and then even more crows flying in the sky above. I have never seen so many crows before in my life. Never this many in my backyard area. It was like every crow in our state had congregated outside my backyard.

Frank must have seen the same thing because he was still in his backyard yelling at the crows.

I looked back at Franklin who was still staring at me. He gave a loud “CRRRAAAAAAAAA” cry and flew off his spot towards Franks yard. The other crows near him followed after.

I hear Frank scream “ah f*****g birds!”, “ouch what the f**k!”

I looked back and more crows were now flying down into his backyard making loud screeching sounds. I couldn’t see what was happening but I could hear his screams.

The sky was filled with crows swooping down attacking Frank. It looked like a sea of black as the sky was filled with more crows. Where did all these crows come from?

On and on the waves of crows would go into Franks yard and then fly off before then next round would go down. The privacy fence was too high for me to see the carnage on the other side but his screams were bad enough. Finally the screaming stopped.

Almost as soon as it had started the sky turned back from black to blue. The only sound I could hear was Frank’s wife crying and begging for help. .

I went around and took a look over in Frank’s backyard and saw what was left of Frank. His body had been pecked apart from head to toe. It no longer looked like a person as much as a bloody piece of roadkill. His face was completely pecked and eaten off. His body had been eaten down to the bones in some places. It had only taken a few minutes but the crows had made short work of him. The site would have made me sick if it was anyone but Frank.

The ambulance and seemingly half the police department had shown up soon after. He was one of their own but nothing could be done. He was dead.

I went back home and grabbed a beer. I went out to my porch and sat down to enjoy this moment. A few minutes later my crow friend Franklin flew up carrying something in his mouth. He landed on the table in front of me and dropped Frank’s bloody eyeball. He nudged it toward me as he wanted me to have it as a gift. He looked at me and gave me one loud “CRRRAAAAAAA” and I returned a smile. He flew back to his spot and stood proud watching..

This must be why they call a large group of crows a murder.

© 2019 HadesRising


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Was really scary was like Hitchcock.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Omfg crows scare the s***s out of me.

Posted 4 Years Ago


a captivating story, i particularly enjoy stories when the villain gets his come-uppence... it's a sort of feel good emotion when a******s have to endure unpleasantness. 👍

i like feeding the wild birds in our garden, i have rainbow lorikeets, crested pigeons, normal pigeons, kookaburras, magpies, crows, butcher birds, australian minor birds, corellas, sulphur-crested cockatoos,& the occasional galah pair - probably around 300 birds every afternoon & about 150 pigeons in the morning.



Posted 4 Years Ago


HadesRising

4 Years Ago

Very nice, I used to own owls and falcon's as a child, I take my class sometimes to a bird statutory.. read more
Good story, well told. You kept my interest and have an easy, fluid style of writing. I very rarely read stories as I am a bit of a poetry freak, but pleased I found this one. Reminded me of Hitchcock and The Birds. Now that was a great film to watch.


Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

An English teacher? Yes, maybe I will. All good wishes.
HadesRising

4 Years Ago

Thank you, and many fine wishes to yourself on this fine summer's night.
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you :).....

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 10, 2019
Last Updated on July 10, 2019
Tags: Horror supernatural scary

Author

HadesRising
HadesRising

London, United Kingdom



About
The cruelty wrought between lines of despair is but one with my own labored heart Favorite Poets/Writers Dani Filth, Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Tolkien, more..

Writing
ADDICTED ADDICTED

A Poem by HadesRising



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


TERRIFY TERRIFY

A Poem by HadesRising