Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai

Sunlight. 
When he awoke, there she was, nearly transparent by the window yet still solid. His heart seemed to stop mid-beat, the young lady was all the people in this town had talked about; it had to be. The same shining, black hair, the exact same outfit that was filed in the police report... but, would she turn around? The question pondered in his head. Could he be man enough to see her face?
The room was silent as he continued to watched her from the head of his bed. What could he do? What could he say? In time, he was still horrified. She continued to stare out the window, as if watching her lover ride away in which he would never be seen again. Such agony was embodied in her stance, wanting to look away but in fear of only seeing something worse. Just as Daniel began to slip out of the covers, in hopes of slipping out the room, the colored silhouette reached up to tug the window curtain. This slight, but surely unexpected, move of her slender arm gave Daniel a shock out of his bed. He hit the cherry-wood floor with a thud, and the young girl turned around with a startling gasp.
His eyes widened by her beauty, her tender lips trembling by the remarkable fact that he could see her. 
"Do... do you see me?" She so eloquently asked.
He nodded.
"So, you can hear me?" She stepped slightly forward, in which Daniel immediately jolted back. "I see, I'm sorry." A tender smile slipped onto her face as she stepped back into the corners of her window.
It was a dream, he thought, it had to be. Her porcelain face was just like the one in the report's photograph. He didn't understand how this could possibly be reality, especially for one who comes from such a simple life as his. But he had to be sure.
He cleared his throat, her eyes drifted to meet his.
"If you're really here," he began, but was cut off.
"Why wouldn't I be?" she asked.
He took a somewhat sigh of relief, her voice was soft, like morning sunlight. She could do no harm onto him. "I mean, if this isn't a dream... may I touch you?"
The question seemed to puzzle her. Such a question as that would have cost himself a smack across the face. But, she understood.
She replied unsurely, "Yes," and he walked over to her base.
Standing nearly a nose-space apart, he lifted his hand as she did her's, watching as the two began to meet. Fingertips slightly trembling, their palms pressed together. He felt intoxicated.
"How does this feel?" He watched as her tender lips formed the words she spoke.
"Like air." He responded. "You feel it's there, but, you know you can't see it."
Her cheeks tinted pink.
Daniel slid his hand away and his arm fell back down to his side. He looked away for a second, and back to the entity before him. 
He took a gulp, and opened his mouth, "You must be Jennifer, Jennifer Young?"
You coud catch a hint of distraught in her deep, auburn eyes, but a face full of relief that someone had finally found her. 
With a somewhat sheer smile, she replied, "When I was alive, everyone would call me Jenny."


© 2013 Kikai


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on November 25, 2013
Last Updated on November 25, 2013


Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
The Doctor and I The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai


Forward Forward

A Chapter by Kikai