No Alarms, No Surprises

No Alarms, No Surprises

A Story by Munawar Mobin

The sun seeps through the blinds of the window, forming zigzags on my arms, running up all the way to my shoulders. They fade away; it’s a sunny day with blue skies, lots of clouds and the sun going in and out of hiding every now and then. There’s also a slight breeze, one that picks up and whistles through the leaves and then dies down the next second.

I look to my left, out on to the close horizon. It’s littered with houses, apartments and buildings varying in shapes, sizes, colours. I can hear people buzzing at the market a few feet below, the random barks of dogs in the distance, the laughter of children playing in the heat, the splashing of water as women wash their clothes  and of course the whistling of the breeze through the leaves.

My room is silent; the creaking fan had stopped long before dawn came over the buildings on the other side. I stay there in bed and close my eyes. The light continues to play on my arms, smiling passionately on the world now and crouching playfully under a cloud next. The sounds continue to pour through, the silence inside my room beckoning them to come and join. I can hear the sound of more children now, and running feet, they seem to be getting closer. A noise of a rolling tire follows. The clip clop of slippers fades away.

The sun is back and it stays for a while, I can feel its heat on my face as the rays peek over the window blinds. The sun moves again, the warm embrace disappears, my body feels cool. An alarm clock shrieks from the right side of the bed. It shuts out the silence and all the noises and sounds from outside rush away immediately. The clock screams out and all of a sudden that’s all that is heard in the room. My arm shoots out in reflex and soon the alarm stops ringing. It’s silent once more.

I open my eyes. It’s dark. No noises, no sounds. Dark silence.

I look around; the alarm clock shows it’s time to move. 5:00 am. I gather my books and my student id, and the keys from the bowl nearby. It’s still dark when I close the door to my room behind me and lock it. My jacket feels heavy in arms. It’s probably snowing outside. I put it on.

Two minutes pass. My boots crunching on the wet snow is the only sound in the dead parking lot. I reach my beaten down Honda and wipe away the snow from the windshield and the handle. One wrench later, I’m inside.

The car is cold inside, the leather on the seats are stiff and uncomfortable. I check my reflection in the mirror above me. Tired eyes stare back at me. I look away.

The engine starts at two tries. God is with me today. Home however, is far away.

© 2011 Munawar Mobin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well Done! Keep it up! Do u read mine 2 TIME, Anguish and MANNER..if possible then gives ur review..

Posted 10 Years Ago


My jacket feels heavy in arms.
You forgot the word 'my' between 'in' and 'arms'.

Besides that it was very nice. I loved the descriptions, they made me feel like I was there!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very intriguing piece, written so very well, and very descriptive too, well done x

Posted 12 Years Ago


it's interesting how the narrator finds solace from witnessing the activities outside of his room. It invigorates him to be observant. However, when it comes to him onto playing his part, he does everything in the perfunctory way. The line 'Home however, is far away' indicates tersely how he is impelled to go outside. The start of the morning by limbering up immediately after waking up tends to be difficult. By logic other than from your lovely story, i find that normally in brittle wintry days, it's comforting to perceive the zealous, persuasive on-goings amid the silence.

Posted 12 Years Ago


wonderfully described...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liked it . Lovely piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


An active nature in the experience of silent watchfulness. A rise to the courage of the heart to think and perceive by oneself, without the influence of others. It grows with heart.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I could have read on forever. Loved all the observations very proustish. Great awareness. Superb descriptions. Although I will never understand how anyone can venture out doors without having a cup of tea first! This was superb. More please! Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very good story. I like the description of the location. Your story took me with you on the long day of life. I like the ending to the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nicely described. I enjoyed reading this piece. Nice writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2011
Last Updated on December 2, 2011

Author

Munawar Mobin
Munawar Mobin

Dhaka, Bangladesh




Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..