MacArthur's Park

MacArthur's Park

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers


It was MacArthur’s Park

where we walked in crusts of snow,

talking of Christmases past

and how welcomed spring would be 

with daffodils in a window box.

It was early March.

A northeast wind was beckoning at our backs.

Soon the dogwood trees would be in bloom,

with a hum of mowers ubiquitously heard

manicuring lawns in emerald green.


© 2019 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Why is it that Winter cold covers the land but not the memory? Perhaps time indoors, radio and erupting thoughts meld to throw out notes forgotten til nostalgia takes over. Thinking back somehow magnifies how 'it was'.. the one chord becomes a symphony.. The hottest, most memorable moments are often hidden, both rapt and wrapped yet - longing to sing out again. Perhaps?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

"...the one chord becomes a symphony." So, so true, Em. What a beautiful perspective!
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

That's how your words touched me, Kelly. Take care of yourself, please.
had to go listen to Richard Harris sing that song Kelly.... there is a line in the song "I'll never have that recipe again".... but I think your word painting this as winter turning into spring is a recipe ("another dream") captured in those yellow daffodils and dogwood blooms... and one of the things about recipes (continuing the metaphor) is that the really good ones are always changed with a touch of this or a pinch of that... makes the dish more exciting.... anyway, those northeast winds can be tricky at times... lol..

yes, Kelly I loved your poem... ;0)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

Curt, your presence here is truly the highlight of my day, and I thank you with all my heart!
You know Kelly, somewhere Jimmy Webb is smiling and singing... singing and smiling...

I love the color tie-ins with the song (yellow) daffodils with the yellow cotton dress and the emerald green lawns with the sweet green icing.

I can't quite reconcile a northeast wind that beckons from behind, but then the song is a fantasy and I'm not familiar with all the lyrics.

Your poems are usually the most delightfully gift wrapped wholes to me and this one does not disappoint.

I just can't help but think there's more here than my eye and ear and memory are catching on the surface... that you are being smarter and funnier than I am able discern. I must be getting old, well, out of practice anyway... Thanks for another beauty!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

It's been far too long since last I saw you. What a thrill!
What a beautiful journey across the memories, the mind rich with visions of the deep cold warmed by sweet company. I can feel the chill air there, sense the glory of daffodils rising up, the wonder of the dogwoods, and that scent of freshly mowed grass. Warm and wondrous.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You always bring much joy to my pages...thank you, Craig!
This is simply beautiful, Kelly. As I am reading I find myself humming, in my head, the song 'MacArthur's Park' but your words are filled with such warmth and nostalgia that it reminds us of spring and better days to come. The park is not just 'melting in the dark' it is preparing for the daffodils and dogwood trees to bloom, which we, by the way, are seeing signs of :-) Truly a magnificent piece of writing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

That song was always an enigma to me from the first time I ordered it in sheet music for a customer .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
The feeling, the mood - are ripe for numerous interpretations. An elderly man looking over the past? A lover mourning his loss? A child remembering his mother? That's the beauty of the implications of the poem.

The two different photographs add a cinematic flavor reminiscent of film Noir. It sets the scene for the words that follow. And for those that remember the song, the residue of sadness may creep in to influence the reader.

The alliteration helped the flow too. Walked, welcome, window, wind...

This is a five-star poem. I'm pleased you offered such a memorable write.

Sun Spot.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I liked the interpretations you opened this up to. It really is within the mind of the reader that .. read more
Beautifully atmospheric and delicately interwoven with nostalgia and hope... A touch of
Robert Frost in its simple dignity, poise and clarity.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You're the best, Jibey. Thank you so much!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MCS
excellent words and image!
i'm so ready for spring, things in bloom and colours other than white.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

The wait will soon be over, Mary. Then all of those frigid temperatures and snow accumulations will .. read more
I couldn't help but think about change and the seasons. And a past remembered fondly with a future hoped for to bloom with very pretty colors.

Love the picture by the way.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

That photo gave me the ambiance for the poem. Thank you, David!
a lovely combination of photo & poem, & the words of an early spring.

must say though i'm glad there is no snow where we live.
when i visited my sister in aspen in winter it took forever to get warmly rugged up just so we could go outside. so time wasting, i like to be able to just open the door & walk outside.

cheerio carola
ps. thanks for stopping by to read & comment on my 'a traveller's poem'

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

Thank you kindly, Carola!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

983 Views
40 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 5, 2019
Last Updated on March 5, 2019

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing