One Hundred Reasons

One Hundred Reasons

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

One Hundred Reasons

 

 

 

 

I came across a book today,
of one hundred reasons
why a daughter needs a Dad.

I thought of how apropos it was -
that in all my years of being without one
I could have written a book myself.

Perhaps, it would have been a best seller by now
sitting on the shelf of a Barnes & Noble,
aimlessly lost in the bargain bin
of “how-to” books,
of better homes and gardens
and learning photography.

 

I fumbled through the first fifty reasons,

deciding upon page sixty-eight

to buy it and take it home,
to wait for the 26th day of June
for what would have been

my Dad’s 94th birthday.


In all likelihood

my own list will grow...
immeasurably so.





 

© 2020 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kelly, so great to see you!
Such a beautiful and moving poem you've penned. He'd no doubt be proud to see what a beautiful woman you've become.
Hope you're doing well out there and staying safe.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

Dearest Ana, how wonderful it is, seeing you, too! I hope this crazy world is treating you kind. T.. read more
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

Kinder than most. I'm pretty lucky. And you're welcome of course. :)
Hi dear Kelly! Hope you, Ollie, et all are doing well and staying safe. Your lovely poem shows the very complex nature of the relationship between fathers and daughters. I am so sorry that you lost your father so early in life. No matter when they leave, they create a vast void in your heart. Your love for him infuses all of your lines here. I'm sure he is greatly honored by your touching poetic tribute. Blessings.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

Thank you, Annette. Your words carry much weight in my book! xo
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Yours taken at six mine upped sticks and cleared off. A positive for me is that instead of having a bad role model I had none so was able to fashion myself, dad wise, into the old man that I would have wanted to raise me. And, even if I say so my self, I've not done a bad job:).
Beautiful words Kelly.
Hope you are well.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

Much appreciate your visit and the sentiment of your words, Gordon. Thank you so kindly.
Gee

3 Years Ago

My pleasure Kelly
Hello Kelly. A long time since you posted it seems. It has been tough for you not having a Dad around and this poem written for what would have been his 94th birthday, a reminder to you of just how long he hasn't been there for you. The pain never really goes does it? My Dad gone thirty years ago. Still miss him so, and my granddaughter who lost her Dad when she was ten months old. Regardless of how little time you had with him, he will always be your Dad and that bond is unbreakable. Hope you are keeping well . Sending you all good wishes from the other side of the pond.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

Thank you, Chris. The kindness of your words touch me deeply. Hope all is well on the other side o.. read more

You might not have had him for long.. certainly not long enough.. but I have no doubt whatsoever you share an unconditional and reciprocal love..

Your words above are responsible for the lump in my throat.. that ache never goes entirely, does it..





Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

No, it doesn't Nev. Thank you kindly, my friend!
Neville

3 Years Ago


am sorry to say ya welcome Kelly, but you are and more than :)
...happy birthday, Daddy! How I wish I were the woman I am today, and not the little girl who lost you.

Posted 3 Years Ago


wow ... i have been a grandson, a son, a Dad with daughters .. all of it floods my mind in reading this .. absent Dads come in many forms ... just being around isn't enough .. the daughter/father relationship is so important ... as is the son/mother ... its a natural thing ... parenting books are written galore ... but they are of little use as we write our own as we go .. doing as best we can .. the loss of the Father in this poem is deep and sad ... her own book "aimlessly lost in the bargain bin" i see myself trying to go through them .. i have tried .. a fruitless task that i give up on pretty quick .. each "reason gone through more and more heartbreaking and bewildering ... the first 50 ...such a weight begins to grow on me ...page sixty eight and it goes home with her ..waiting for his Birthday to read more ... i do hope some of those reasons can be made to feel as if they are her own .. some place of joy though not real in her experience ... otherwise i read the next 50 and more and more fire sears through my heart .. such and emotive poem for me ... though not a daughter i very easily fell right into her experiences ... it makes me go to prayer for all of us actually .. well done Kelly ... straightforward story telling ... i don't need character details they are universal to me ... strong imaging with the books and pages ... love the bin and Barnes and Noble ... peace and love to ya girl! ;) great to see you post anew!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

I believe my heart beats a little faster whenever I see a review from you. Consider yourself hugged.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

awwwwwww ... you made my day! :) back at ya Kelly!
Lovely write, as my own tears fall in remembrance of my own father who would have been well past 100 if he still was here. Missing all the war stories and most of all his cooking. Thanks for the memories inside your words. ;-}

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

A man that cooks is quite a man to have around. Thank you for the kindness of your words today.
Lovely Kelly
Its hard to survive without a father
But sometimes you are given - alot more people
to make this equation balance out

Lovely poem

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

I'm afraid the equation will never balance out. Thank you!


My dad was in the Navy from 1944 - to 1964. During his service years, he survived 4 serious airplane crashes, 1 of which 6 servicemen died. I guess that is why he always had a happy outlook on life, and he lived to be 77 years old. He died 15 years ago. I was still learning stuff from that old sailor, he had so many damn stories to tell. And yet, I do not feel "cheated." The most pleasant thing I miss really is the nickname he called me since I was 11, "Horse;" because I was nearly 6 feet tall!

A loss such as yours is full of what could have been, what should have been, futures. In my own way, in my own time, I can understand a bit of your loss.

I lost two daughters, Leah at 4 months old, (meningitis) and Julia born prematurely at 20 weeks gestation, died 20 days later because of her lungs unable to respond to treatments. However, I have two adult daughters who each gave birth to a daughter. Rachel my oldest, name her girl "Leah," and Sarah, the younger daughter, named her girl, "Julia."

So, here we are, poets. Shaped by the years and events in our respective lives. I firmly believe we've got a few more pages left in our respective books of life . . . so no peeking ahead!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

3 Years Ago

Thank you, Charles. I didn't know about your loss, so that's something more I've learned from writi.. read more
C. M. Miller

3 Years Ago

Life comes 'round, indeed it does. As always, wishing you well.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

660 Views
36 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 21, 2020
Last Updated on March 21, 2020
Tags: Father's, Daughters, life, love, loss

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing