Breakdown

Breakdown

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

Breakdown

photography by / Stefan Beutler

 

 

Every morning

cold cereal and orange juice

        for breakfast…

don’t forget  to water the African violet on the sill

in the kitchen window .

 

Feed the cats, walk the dog.

Separate the colors before washing clothes.

Take something from the freezer

           that’ll thaw  in time for dinner.

…such ordinary things to remember.

 

  Dance recital dates are on the calendar.

The girls wear a pink ribbon in their hair.

 The bake sales at church will start in the spring.

Let Father Walsh know he can count on you…

 cake or cookies is fine

…dress the boys in their Sunday best.

 

Be patient, be strong.

Remember that God helps those who help themselves.

Take one day at a time,

one foot in front of the other.

…just like yesterday and the day before.

 

Fall to your knees

when you’re all out of prayer…

…when you’re all out of prayer

    breakdown.

 

                            


© 2023 Kelly Scheppers


Author's Note

Kelly Scheppers
This was written to capture the aftermath of a man dealing with the struggles of everyday life after losing his wife. What you are reading is what he hears in his head, it’s his wife’s voice reminding him of what to do and what’s to come. The lines in italics speak his response.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kelly - this is so, so powerful! I'm very fortunate, and I still have my wife. I know that she would
provide me with a "to-do list" if and when the time comes.
Thank you for helping to remind me of the treasure I have.
Take care - Dave

Posted 1 Month Ago


Good read! Thought-provoking!
Daily writing--a keyboard routine--as unique & fresh & well-received as this, is anything but routine!
JD

Posted 2 Months Ago


Finding a penny can be a fortune to someone needy, sad, empty. yes? But losing ' precious' , the heart stops yet - life goes on. And in spite of promising to carry on bravely valuing memories as if life itself.. one feels empty. Feels as if it's a crime to not feel what has been, not to hear what one's ears crave for, a brief chat and a touch, gentle sleep - together. What should have been real, becomes.. a sane insanity of comfort.
Perhaps.

Posted 2 Months Ago


Kelly,
What a lovely account! I am touched because of the note and the poignancy of how powerful the little things can be. It is a common theme you have dressed in beautiful clothes. They are, after all, what make us, the accumulated actions of the day punctuated by bits of tragedy, bits of beauty, and bits of careful thought which, taken together, make something as simple as taking supper from the freezer to thaw, a meaningful act.
Nicely done!
Vol

Posted 7 Months Ago


An extremely difficult concept
I don't mean to belittle this at all but even losing the dogs I have loved has been extremely heartbreaking
Losing that special person would be too difficult to comprehend

Posted 11 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

I overwhelmingly agree, Dave! Losing a pet is just as devastating a loss as any other. And for tho.. read more
Losing someone that close is impossible to consider ... you have taken a look at the other side of loss Kelly ... the one left behind struggling to cope and too maintain a calm façade for the children.

Well done.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

I know men process grief differently. I witnessed my step father and two adult brothers when my mom.. read more


say it like it is why don'tcha and like it always was and maybe always shall be .. there certainly is a lot more to this than first meets the eye .. indeed, I think it is very cerebral and your informative authors note beautifully complemented my own impression .. N :)


Posted 11 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

Your presence here is a compliment in itself. Thank you, Nev!
I made the good years. The grandchildren are dropped off and picked up. Dear Kelly, I raised-up four children and now. I have six grandchildren. Your poem. I knew them days for 25 years.
"Fall to your knees
when you’re all out of prayer…
…when you’re all out of prayer
breakdown."
The above lines. I did and thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

I once read that a house full of love has elastic walls. Four children and six grandchildren! That'.. read more
Coyote Poetry

11 Months Ago

They still keep me busy dear Kelly. We need to be busy.
I am glad I did not read your note before I read the poem. It was nice to interpret the pain first. I sensed a female voice initially, but didn't realize the italics were a response.

Such ordinary words filled with anguish. Life does not stop, nor do the calendars and multitude of things to do, the ordinary (and extraordinary) upon a loss. Thank you for the reminder of "things". I have taken my own gold nugget from your writing today.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

What a pleasure it is for me, knowing that something I wrote may have been an inspiration to you! T.. read more
"Take the cats out of the freezer, feed the colors, and separate the walking dogs"...I got it!
Sorry, I couldn't help myself, this is wonderful, such a touching and beautiful tribute to what must be a daily pain for this poor man. To live a life with this woman is rare enough but to continue to hear and live with her after her passing, well, that is a rare romance and love that we just don't see anymore. I was fortunate to have witnessed two people that are perfect in balance for each other and where one has humor the other has a genius that makes no sense at all so she wants to kill him quite often but that's her guy and he must have a plan. Fortunately, I came along to lighten the mood and so no one got hurt in the end, or as of yet. I envy the love and the hearing of her voice and for following her rituals as it must help him immensely to feel her presence there as I am certain she must still be watching over ..if not in his head alone. The only question I would have is whether it is driving him to drink..lol. You never know. But this is passion and pain at its best and a wonderful gift Kelly. "Don't forget to water the cookies in the kitchen"..yep I got it...Smiles~

Posted 11 Months Ago


Perdition

11 Months Ago

All pain must be rendered and tempered and balanced with perception and not knowing this man I could.. read more
Kelly Scheppers

11 Months Ago

Joseph, I laughed at your opening line and the closing line myself, that's what I meant by a smile b.. read more
Perdition

11 Months Ago

lol...I didn't..I wouldn't...just got to wondering after years of knowing this and that, I just want.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 19, 2023
Last Updated on April 19, 2023

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA