The Thespian

The Thespian

A Story by Christopher M. Musick
"

This is another short Harley Quinn Fanfiction that I really wanted to turn into a short film but I couldn't find the right Harley.

"

The Thespian


 


 

Susan, an aspiring actress in her early 20s, enters an elevator gripping a manuscript with anticipation. She presses the number 14 button inside the elevator.

 


The doors are about to close when a hand wearing a black glove stops them. The elevator opens back up to reveal HARLEY QUINN in full costume and makeup.


 


HARLEY


Whew! Made it.


 


Harley nonchalantly walks into the elevator and presses the number 11. Susan backs into one of the corners and tries not to panic. Harley glances over at her and smiles.


 


HARLEY


Hi.


 


Susan just stares back at Harley and doesnt say a word. Harley faces front again and makes a face that says whats her problem? Harley then notices that the number 14 is also pushed.


 


HARLEY


Level 14 thats the production company right? (Harley looks back at Susan.) Are you with them?


 


Susan just nervously shakes her head NO.


 


HARLEY


Oh. Are you auditioning?


 


Susan shakes her head YES.


 


HARLEY


Cool Beans! Whats it for?


 


Susan stays quiet cowering in the corner.


 


HARLEY


You dont have to be so nervous Im sure youll do fine. (Harley notices the fear in Susans eyes as she looks at her.) Its not me making you this nervous is it? Well dont worry Im not here for you. I got a tip that the Commissioner has an appointment on 11 so Im going to pay him a visit. My Puddin wants me to scoop him up and bring him back home. I gotta admit I was a little surprised that he trusted me with such a big task. Hes seemed a little annoyed by me lately. Anyway its not part of the plan to take hostages. But of course, my plans dont always work out like I want.


 


Susans eyes get wider just as the elevator stops too abruptly at the 11th floor. The doors dont open right away so Harley tries to press the open door button but it wont work.


 


HARLEY


Uh oh, its busted. Piece OF JUNK!


 


Harley starts smacking the doors as if that will get them to open. Susan stays glued to the corner of the elevator, now more terrified than ever. Finally Harley stops and looks at Susan wild eyed.


 


HARLEY


Do you know what this means?


 


Susan is too frozen to react.


 


HARLEY


You might miss your audition. We cant let that happen!


 


Susan is confused hearing that. She is about to say something if she could figure out what to say.


 


HARLEY


No. Dont you worry well get out of here. I wont let this opportunity slip by you. This could be it! Everything you ever hoped and dreamed of could start on that 14th floor. But we have to get there in time, Destiny Does Not Wait!


 


Some of Susans fear melts away as Harley speaks and is replaced by mostly confusion. She finds herself able to speak.


 


SUSAN


Its not for another like 20 minutes. If we push the emergency button Im sure well get out in time.


 


HARLEY


Okaie Dokie!


 


Harley finds the emergency button inside the elevator, presses it then turns back to Susan and snatches the script out of her hands.


 


HARLEY


Since we have some time I can run lines with you. You have yours memorized right?


 


SUSAN


Yes.


 


HARLEY


Good. So whats going on? Set the scene for me.


 


Susan tries to explain the plot but shes still a little nervous and cant quite get it all out. Suddenly Harley lunges at her, grabbing her by the arms and staring her right in the eyes.


 


HARLEY


I know youre scared. I make you nervous. Everything youve heard about me probably suggests that Im crazy and that Ill hurt you, which I might who knows, Im crazy. But if youre gonna make it, if you want to be Great this is the first thing youll have to conquer. Youre gonna feel these nerves and fear in every audition. You need to put it all out of your head, starting right now. Dont be here, be in the scene. Forget who I am, your character doesnt know who I am. Youre only concern right now is whatever your character is concerned about. Whats your character concerned about? (Harley slowly lets Susan go and lets her relax.)


 


SUSAN


Shes getting an intervention.


 


HARLEY


An intervention, thats intense. Okay ya druggie, what are ya hopped up on? Whats your poison?


 


SUSAN


Meth.


 


HARLEY


Meth!? Where did you get meth? (Harley grabs her again and shakes her.) Who gave it to you!? Tell me!


 


SUSAN


(as if shes actually in trouble)


I dont know.


 


HARLEY


(letting go of Susan)


Im just shaking you up getting you into character. So youre on meth. Your hair is thin, your teeth are disgusting, and everything sucks, show it to me.


 


Susan sloppily tries to give off a drugged out vibe but fails.


 


HARLEY


What is that? What are you, new to meth? No. At this point youre so methed up you need an intervention, show it to me.


 


Susan tries again and actually goes for it and captures it really well.


 


HARLEY


There it is. Now lets see. (She looks through the script real quick) So Im guessing yours are the highlighted lines, so you are her and Ill be the rest of the family. Now I like to get into character I hope that doesnt throw you off. (Susan shakes her head NO) Good hit me with it.


 


SUSAN


(in character, acts like shes walking into a room and surprised to see Harley)


Mom, dad, whats all this?


 


HARLEY


(in a deeper man voice)


Hello sweetie, why dont you come take a seat. Wed like to talk to you.


 


SUSAN


(in character)


About what? Whats Billy, Beth, and Grandma doin here?


 


HARLEY


(in a sweet elderly woman voice)


Were all worried about you, deary. Youre not acting like yourself lately. (she changes back to the man voice) Were afraid youre going to hurt yourself. (she then changes to a judgmental mother voice)


We know about the drugs.


 


SUSAN


(in character)
Drugs?


 


HARLEY


(in a stuck up teenage girl voice)


Dont even like try and deny it. We all know! Meth Sis, really? Gross. (she changes her voice to sound like a young boy) Pwease big sister stop doing dwugs. I miss you.


 


SUSAN


(in character starts to break down)


It all fell apart so fast. I was just curious, I didnt think it would go this far. But I let it. Its my fault. I wasnt strong enough to resist or to see that what I was doing was wrong. Eventually it got easier because when I looked at myself I didnt see me anymore. (Harley pays attention to Susans performance and the words start to hit her a little hard.) I twisted my own reflection into something else, someone I could hold responsible for all of it, so I would never see how far I had fallen. I dont know who I am anymore!


 


HARLEY


(in her normal voice)


Then why dont you just stop. Comeback.


 


SUSAN


(in character, really getting into it)


You people think you know everything! Thats the problem, none of you understand so all you can do is look down on me like its just so easy to stop. Im trapped! I created my own cage and something dark and disgusting inside of me just wants to lie down and suffer in it! You all gather here to throw in my face all the ways that Ive failed or that Ive hurt you. Well theres no need. I know what a failure I am and I know how I hurt the ones around me, and I cant stop. So maybe youd all be better off leaving me behind and forgetting about me!


 


HARLEY


(grabs her again and yells at her)


Why are you acting like this!? Cant you see that Hes killing you!?


 


Susan gets taken out of the scene for a moment.


 


SUSAN


It.


 


HARLEY


What?


 


SUSAN


The line is IT is killing you, not HE.


 


HARLEY


Did I say HE?


 


SUSAN


Yeah


 


HARLEY
Huh
.. Well Ive taken too many psyche classes to ignore a slip like that.


 


Harley gets quiet as she drifts off a little and starts to reflect. Susan can see that something is wrong.


 


SUSAN


Youre really good, by the way. You were really sucked me into the scene.


 


HARLEY


Thank you. You too. You got nothing to worry about.


 


SUSAN
You know a lot about this stuff, do you have an acting background?


 


HARLEY


I was a thespian in high school. In all the plays Sophomore and Senior year. I even convinced them to let me audition for Bottom in a Midsummer Nights Dream even though its a male part.


(she starts to theatrically recite Shakespeare)


Sweet Moon, I thank thee for thy sunny beams;


I thank thee, Moon, for shining now so bright;


For, by thy gracious, golden, glittering gleams,


I trust to take of truest Thisby sight.


But stay, O spite!


But mark, poor knight,


What dreadful dole is here!


Eyes, do you see?


How can it be?


O dainty duck! O dear!


Thy mantle good,


What, stain'd with blood!


Approach, ye Furies fell!


O Fates, come, come,


Cut thread and thrum;


Quail, crush, conclude, and quell!


 


Just as Harley finished the elevator makes a THUD and the doors open. Harley quickly looks over to Susan.


 


Harley


Well Toots, its been fun. Good Luck!


(as she says it she takes a gun out and exits the elevator)


 


Susan watches the elevator doors close and hears a gun shot.


 


HARLEY


(in the distance)


All right nobody move! Im here for Gordon!


 


 


 


Later Susan steps into the elevator smiling and presses the ground floor button. The elevator stops after a few floors. The doors open revealing Harley Quinn in handcuffs followed by Commissioner Gordon. The elevator starts moving again and Harley notices Susan.


 


HARLEY


Hey! How was the audition?


 


SUSAN


I got it!


 


The two of them squee in excitement and jump and down much to Gordons chagrin. Harley looks up at Gordon.


 


HARLEY


Keep an eye on this one Comissh. Shes gonna be a big star one day.


 


Gordon stays stoic. Susan smiles at him still a little giddy. Harley continues to look up at Gordon until Gordon rolls his eyes and looks at Susan.


 


GORDON


Congratulations.


 


SUSAN


Thank you!


 


Harley and Susan are all smiles as the elevator makes its journey to the ground floor.


 


End.


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

© 2016 Christopher M. Musick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on July 22, 2016
Last Updated on July 22, 2016
Tags: Fanfiction, Harley Quinn, Shakespeare, Thespian

Author

Christopher M. Musick
Christopher M. Musick

Lone Tree, CO



About
I am a true lover of stories. I love storytelling in all it's forms. Nothing means more to me than creating worlds and characters to share with others. more..

Writing