Part 4 of 6

Part 4 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20

Monday, December 3


“What’s got you so upset Jerry? You’re acting like Garfield on a Monday.”


“It is Monday, Matty. You’re just excited because of that one guy.” 


It must be written on my forehead or something. I happened to bump into Dexter on Saturday after my shift like the first time we met except without falling. Told me to have a peppermint hot chocolate ready for him when my shift ended. Which was in ten minutes. I couldn’t stop drumming my fingers on the countertop when I was waiting for the next order. The morning rush diminishing.


“I know. He’s just so�"“


“Did you ever get his number?” Jerry cut me off making forget what I was going to say.


“Actually… Yes, at least I think it’s his. I found it on a card that you hid in that five last week.”


“Oh so you did find it!” His mood seemed to have changed like the customers do after a cup of coffee. “Please tell me you put it to good use.”


I sighed, “No. I just don’t want to mess this up. It’s only been three weeks since we’ve met and I usually only see him as a regular customer here.”


“What do you guys do after your shift?” he asked handing me a cup for a peppermint mocha.


“We just sip our hot chocolates as we walk to my bike, having a nice chat. Then we part ways to go to class.”


“That’s so lame, Matty. Spice it up today. Give him a ride to Harvard or something.” I nodded in response. Maybe I will, I thought as I made our two drinks handing Jerry a five for the extra one.


When I came outside of the back room with my stuff, Dexter was seated at the corner table by the window, sitting patiently, his skateboard leaning against his chair. Jerry stopped me again.


“He solved the riddle again. And I found this in the tip jar.” He handed me the five and another card. This time the numbers were different than the first.


I scowled at Jerry, pocketed the card and took the drinks.


I handed Dexter his hot chocolate as he stood up and we left the shop together. So whose number is whose?


The wind outside blew the stray hairs around my face, making me wish I had some kind of hair clip in my long braid.


“So, how long has your hair been that long?” He walked with his skateboard in one hand, drink in the other.


My free hand automatically went to my braided hair, pulling it over my shoulder. It rested at near my waist. “Oh, just like a couple of years.” I was absentmindedly twirling my finger on the end of my braid. “I’ve been debating on whether or not to�"“


“Hey, what’s this under my name?” He pointed to the black sharpie numbers 35 that were peeking out from under the sleeve. The last two digits of my phone number. I blushed in embarrassment that Jerry placed my number on there on purpose. I would have to get him back for that. He slid the sleeve down some as we made it to the end of the crosswalk.


“Did you put this here?”


“No, Jerry must have, but it’s�"“


“So it’s his phone number?”


“No, it’s mine,” I responded lamely looking at the ground. “But, I’ve been given two cards from the tip jar. One of them must surely be yours.” I pulled the one out of my pocket from today and showed it to him.


“That’s not my number. Or my hand writing.” He entered the number off the cup while I searched my bag’s pocket for the other card.


When I found it, I felt sort of like a magician as I said, “Is this your card?”


“Yeah, I put it there last week. I was hoping you would have found it and sent a text or called.”


“I really wanted to but I wasn’t sure if it was yours. Jerry likes to be a jokester.”


“It’s fine, Matty. We’re still putting fate out of commission.” he said with a smile. “See you around.” He turned and left, tossing his drink away before typing something on his phone. Then he took off down the sidewalk on his skateboard.


Seconds later my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled the old beat up flip phone out.


New Text:


Matty, you’re like Rapunzel and should let your hair down more often ;) �"Dexter.


My face felt heated as a goofy grin broke out on my face. I texted him back.


Maybe I will :) �"Matty.


I got on my bike to class. Maybe I’ll give him a ride on the motorcycle another time.



© 2012 Mysterygrl20


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on December 25, 2012
Last Updated on December 25, 2012
Tags: Rapunzel


Author

Mysterygrl20
Mysterygrl20

Montgomery, AL



About
Hi there! I am Jean, or Jeanie. I currently have a four book series running in my head but only the first 3 are partially written. I have a few short stories also. Book 1: Damsel Always in Distres.. more..

Writing
Part 1 of 6 Part 1 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20


Part 2 of 6 Part 2 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20


Part 3 of 6 Part 3 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20