The Demon of Valle Cruis

The Demon of Valle Cruis

A Story by The Author
"

Searching for myths in the dark

"

I sat on the hood of my car waiting as the clock ticked closer to 2am. The headlights illuminated the road in front of me but there wasn't enough light to see anything beyond. The full moon and stars gave everything a silvery glow. The lack of the street lights was a bit unsettling, I'm not use to almost total darkness. The anticipation of what I was about to do made it all the more terrifying.

 

I got back into the car and proceeded down highway 194, driving slow over the twists and turns. In this quiet town nestled in the mountains rests an old church, just on the edge of town. St. John's Episcopal. It was built back in the 1860's and soon after the stories followed, passed down through generations.

 

It was said that as you drive past the cemetery at night a large beast is supposed to appear. People had nearly been driven off the road to avoid the sudden shadows. After doing some research and coming up with the same story every time I figured it would be worth checking out. Though I still have my doubts of it's authenticity. It was almost the same story form 20 years ago. Either way, I'll find out tonight if it's true or not.

As I got closer I turned the radio down in an attempt to catch any unusual sounds. A light fog began to settle and I slowed down as I came to a curve in the road. The first couple of gravestones came into view and eventually I could just make out the church in the distance. So far so good.

 

Then there was movement up ahead. It had appeared suddenly and dissipated just as quickly. I slammed on the breaks and slowed off to the side of the road. It had to have been a deer or something. I grabbed the flashlight off the floor of the passenger side where it had fallen and got out to check. The darkness seemed to be even thicker now. The trees didn't have the silvery glow from the moon light though it still shone brightly. I kept telling myself it's just the fear making me see things. They really should have chosen someone else.

The headlights illuminated a few meters of the road, nothing. To my left the ground descended into a steep hill, I could hear the river flowing from below. Looking back the way I had come there was no sign of anything. It was probably a deer running across the road. I scanned to the right and for a fleeting instant something ran. Shaking, I slowly turned in the direction it had run. Then I saw it, and my blood ran cold.

 

Something was moving from stone to stone, head low, moving silently. When it reached the pavement it slowed, snarling and growling. Black, matted fur covered it's body, it's tail lashing back and forth. It was probably about the size of a Great Dane, maybe a bit bigger. I looked up into it's eyes and froze with fear. Two red orbs looked back at me, piercing the darkness burning like coals. They locked with mine as it started forward. Instinct started to take over and with great effort I tore myself from it's gaze and got back in the car.

I took off, tires screeching, reaching 60mph in a few seconds. I tried to fight the urge to look but I couldn't. I checked the rear view mirror and, to my horror, saw the creature gaining on the car. I pushed down harder on the pedal, reaching 90mph, but the creature still kept pace. It's jaws were snapping as the car lurched, the front end coming off the ground. I silently urged it on with new ferocity as I hit max speed.

 

Ahead, a covered bridge allowed and escape across the river. The car lurched again. Then, as we crossed the bridge, it all stopped. Looking back in the mirror again the creature was gone. I slowed but didn't stop until I had been driving for another 20mins with no sign of it. Finally back in town I stopped at the only dinner that was open this early. I checked the rear bumper and found two sets of bite marks.

© 2020 The Author


Author's Note

The Author
I wanted to practice more with descriptions and try my hand at a short story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

13 Views
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020
Tags: Valle Cruis, Demon, Myths

Author

The Author
The Author

Ireland



About
A novice writer who loves DnD and fantasy. more..

Writing