Winter

Winter

A Story by Kiwi
"

Another guided imagery piece that I wrote for my senior youth's winter lock-in.

"

Just a winter guided imagery.  I thought it would be funny to upload it now that it is so very much Summer here where I am.

 

Picture credit to Connie Coleman.

 

---

 

 

            Picture yourself sitting in that comfy chair by the window, close enough to the fire to feel its warmth and close enough to the window to press your fingertips against the cold.  Inside, the air is thick with comfort and warmth.  Outside, snow is falling lightly in the streets.  You try to watch one small snow flake from when it appears in the sky until it hits the snow-dusted ground.

            It is quiet outside at first glance.  There are no humans driving in noisy automobiles or shoveling driveways, no four-legged companions following after them on leashes.  Outside it is serene save for the slight flurry of snowflakes.  They seem to gather around the soft artificial light of the street lamps.

            You know that if you look carefully, you will see movement.  That trickster rabbit sliding under your neighbor’s fence.  The flutter of wings as a bird finally makes it home to roost.  Outside, it is their winter wonderland.

            You wish to join them.  Smiling, you stand and take a step away from the comfy chair, knowing you will return later.  You pause and stretch, bending over to touch your toes or maybe high up into the air.  You slip into your warm gloves, scarf, hat, boots, and coat.  For safe measure, you add ear muffs.  It’s beyond chilly outside.

            When you open the door, cold air cascades into the room, striking first your face and body before scouting the warmer locations of the room to chill.  As you shut the door you know the warmth of your home will soon overwhelm the cold, but at least you were polite and invited it in.  Outside, the snow continues to journey down.  A flake lands on your eyelash.

            You laugh and stick out your tongue.  More flakes follow gentle paths downwards, many happening to land on your warm tongue to melt.  Now you notice the white lights that the other houses on the street—and your own—showcase to the world.  Many windows have flickering candles, while wreaths with bows or golden balls rest proudly on the doors.

            The street looks long and welcoming with its short layer of snow and quiet presence.  You begin to walk, smiling at the crunch of snow under your boots and at the feeling of moving around in so much material.

            The urge becomes too great: you bend down, gather a handful of snow, and pack it into a tight ball.  As you have no one to hit, you toss it at one of the boards in your fence.  You hit the board five boards to the side of the one you were aiming for and laugh.

            It is met with another gleeful laugh.  You turn to see a great friend of yours, a mentor of sorts.  The person is smiling and, despite the weather and layers of clothing, gives off such a warm and engulfing company that you run to this person.  You laugh together, smile, and turn in circles at the wonder of this winter evening.

            Your guests will be arriving soon.  You grasp this special friend’s hand—this friend that loves you unconditionally, and supports any path you choose to take with heart, mind, and spirit—and walk to your door.  You welcome your first guest in with a smile that permeates through your eyes and adds to the warmth of your home.

            You find yourself back in your warm and comfy room with a few less layers, laughing and smiling with this special friend.  You take a sweet, deep breath.  Inhale the loving energy and tenderness of the room and exhale your tension, allowing it to leave through the glass of the window and drift up into the dark skies.

            Another breath and you’re thinking of your loved ones, soon to come—sending this warm energy and love with every breath.  Your guest is doing the same.  You smile and look into this kindred spirit’s eyes, sharing this love and compassion gently without words.

            This is winter.  This is when the growth happens inside, when the warmth enters the home and invites the cold in for only small bouts at a time.  This is the time for warm cider to nourish your body while the love of friends and family nurtures your very self.  This is the time for inner love turned towards the world and for quick walks in the chilled air to connect with the world around you.

            You take a deep breath.  Smile.  Let it go.

            This is winter, this is love, and it is welcome.

© 2008 Kiwi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
Added on June 26, 2008

Author

Kiwi
Kiwi

Reading, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom



About
I'm Kiwi. I can spell that. It's kee-ee-wee-ee. Only not really. I'm incredibly sensitive. Please take care with reviews. :). Critique I enjoy, but again, please be gentle! I'm not quite ready.. more..

Writing
Windsor Win Windsor Win

A Poem by Kiwi


Cellular Cancer Cellular Cancer

A Poem by Kiwi


Grey Sky Grey Sky

A Story by Kiwi