I am a Human

I am a Human

A Story by Nam
"

It is a narrative fiction based on a true incident witnessed on Racism, which many People face in their day to day lives living Abroad.

"
Her Mom called her out: Sehmat, are you ready? We'll be late Dear. Dad should be here in 10 mins. Please Hurry Up!
Oh My God! I don't know how this girl is going to manage in Future? I am really worried, she has never stayed away from us for long. 

Sehmat was Travelling to London to pursue her Masters In Travel & Tourism.
Her parents were very progressive in their attitude, may it be regarding her education, friends circle or Job. Though coming from a Muslim family, her parents were extremely Liberal and believed in Omnism. 
It was 8.5 hours long flight to London from New Delhi. This is the first time Sehmat was travelling alone. She knew, from now on she has to travel alone no matter what may come on her path.

Even though her parents never restricted on the type of clothes she should wear, Sehmat enjoyed wearing a burka(Niqab) occasionally. She had decided that on occasion of Eid, she would dress up in a Burka.
6 months passed, she got busy in her studies and the part-time work. She was working as a cashier at a Supermarket for some extra money. By now Sehmat had also saved enough money so that she could send some good gifts to her parents for Eid. 

On the day of Eid, after her supermarket shift got over, she was going back to her abode from Stratford to North East London. Living in an expensive city like London, she always used Public transport(Bus, Tube) to commute.
Sehmat was a little sad as this was the first time she was away from Home on Eid. She was missing her Parents, Friends and the Feast which her mom used to prepare for her.  

The bus had few passengers as it was already 9 pm. An old man of ~age 70 enters the bus. He was talking to himself while entering. It seemed that he was Schizophrenic. He sat on the seat behind Backdoor. While Sehmat was sitting Diagonally beside the window. He looked at Sehmat, and looked away. He then went to her and said in a Shaky and angry voice: " YOU GET OFF THE BUS, YOU ARE A TERRORIST!! Driver, throw her out! She has a Bomb. She wants to kill us, she is a Terrorist" Hearing that Sehmat was taken aback and was furiously in tears." All she responded was: I am a Human just like you, not a terrorist" In her defense one of the British girl shouted at the old man: Why don't you change your thinking, you get off the Bus. You cannot talk to a fellow passenger this way. Driver, please ask him to get off right now" The man got off at the next stop but continued repeating: You are a Terrorist, you have a Bomb. She will kill us"

Though this unfortunate incident was over, yet the scar it left on Sehmat's Heart would never be healed completely. This is an extreme form of Racisim which innocent Girl like Sehmat faced because of the Burka she wore. There are many such incidents which Muslims and People living in Foreign Countries Face in their day to day lives either because of their religion, color, accent or even Food for that matter. 

The urge to everyone here is to be kind and respectful towards all irrespective of their religion, color or accent because at the end of the Day "We are all Humans" and our religion lies in Humanity.

© 2019 Nam


Author's Note

Nam
Please share your thoughts and experiences after reading the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very sad story involving racism but not as straightforward as it appears. Racism both hidden and in the open is a horrible scourge in Great Britain which i think i was a large factor in the Brexit vote. Sehmat (is it you?) has had a very upsetting experience. The issue becomes complicated when you mention the fact that he may be Schizophrenic. Legally he would not be held responsible for his actions. I have some personal experience of a very similar situation involving myself while on holiday in South Africa. I suffer from bipolar disorder and I know that if you become very manic you can become paranoid and an unreasonable fear of terrorists might be an issue.
This is a side issue which has muddied the waters in this story but does not detract from the everyday racism suffered by so many people. It might interest you that I have traveled around India with my wife and on my own to Delhi and been made welcome everywhere.

Well done for sharing.
Alan


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nam

4 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rightly said, there could be another side to the story l.. read more
alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Nam. I've just read a bit about Auroville. It looks a great place to visit. When I visited wi.. read more



Reviews

I'm a Caucasian American from the USA. For a long time while traveling I'd try to specify the last part of that description. After all, America IS two continents.

In any case, I've been a victim of prejudice at times. As a GI stationed in France in the sixties, the French wanted us soldiers out of their country. They loved tourists ... just not soldiers. Newspapers, radio, and TV were all railing against us being in their country. Businesses would be very slow in serving us. Taxis would pass us by.

One black buddy married a white French girl over there. He was afraid to take her to his home in Mississippi, that his relatives would kill her. About the worse crime in the Southern US, was to have an affair with someone of a different race. Sometimes the same with different religions. Even unwed mothers were prejudiced against.

As a soldier in Germany, I lived with a black GI and his German wife. We had to be careful when going out together. Some of my friends didn't like him, his friends didn't like me. And some of her relatives wouldn't talk to either of us.

Born in thelate '30s, I've seen Prejudices in the US go from: Jews, Japanese, Poles, Irish, Italians ... and now to Muslims. I pity the first Martians that make it here.
Charlie - hvysmker

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nam

4 Years Ago

I am really overwhelmed reading about these distressing incidents.
Many Thanks for sharing y.. read more
This is a very sad story involving racism but not as straightforward as it appears. Racism both hidden and in the open is a horrible scourge in Great Britain which i think i was a large factor in the Brexit vote. Sehmat (is it you?) has had a very upsetting experience. The issue becomes complicated when you mention the fact that he may be Schizophrenic. Legally he would not be held responsible for his actions. I have some personal experience of a very similar situation involving myself while on holiday in South Africa. I suffer from bipolar disorder and I know that if you become very manic you can become paranoid and an unreasonable fear of terrorists might be an issue.
This is a side issue which has muddied the waters in this story but does not detract from the everyday racism suffered by so many people. It might interest you that I have traveled around India with my wife and on my own to Delhi and been made welcome everywhere.

Well done for sharing.
Alan


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nam

4 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rightly said, there could be another side to the story l.. read more
alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Nam. I've just read a bit about Auroville. It looks a great place to visit. When I visited wi.. read more
will it ever end,not in this life time talking about racism

Posted 4 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Nam

4 Years Ago

That's the sad Truth

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2019
Last Updated on November 23, 2019
Tags: Religion, secular, omnism, liberal, racism, Humanity, terrorist, burka, niqab, muslim, abroad, london, eid, color, accent, food, human, innocent, british, kind, respect, passenger, bus, foreign, scar, travel, tourism

Author

Nam
Nam