Why moon and dawn are together

Why moon and dawn are together

A Story by Moonie
"

It is a story of forbidden love, of woven magic and of the reason why the moon follows the dawn when he ought not to....

"
   He was the moon god and she was the goddess of dawn--that was the problem, they couldn't be together. Everyone knew that. It was the basic law of nature and even the gods were reluctant to disturb nature’s perfect balance.
 
  ‘Iluminado and Dawn would never be together,’ they whispered.
 
  ‘The moon would never reach the dawn.’
 
  Even the distance between the two lovers was difficult to calculate, for it took the shape of time rather than length. The moon god, Iluminado was given a certain period of time when he was supposed to flash about his luminous cloak and light the earth just enough for the mortals to make out the difference between night and day.
 
  The sun god, Asolearse was given the duty of lighting the earth for the other half.
 
  Now, Asolearse loved his beautiful daughter, Dawn, who was still a child and needed a duty to be remembered by. He wanted to give her an important one so that the mortals would always look up to her. So he told her one day when she was 8000 years old (6 years in human age) "
 
  ‘My beautiful daughter, the fairest child, I give you the duty of waking up the world. May you rouse the mortals from their dreams with your mellow light.’
 
  And so it happened that the early part of the day, when the darkness vanishes, was named after her.
 
  But Dawn fell in love with Iluminado when she grew up. They never met or saw each other and yet she knew him through and through. Maybe it was because the fays had predicted that the daughter of sun would indeed love the moon, or it was because the angels had written songs about a forbidden love that would embellish the heavens. No one ever knew the reason and so I fail to provide one but I hope someday you would find that out. What I know is that Dawn loved Iluminado more than she loved anything else, even more than her next breath. She felt him the way she felt her own heart.
 
  Iluminado, on the other hand, had loved her from when he had first seen her on the day of her birth. Her gold eyes had mesmerized him.
 
  Asolearse had invited every god and goddess on Dawn’s birth, including the moon god whom he saw very rarely.
  That was the first time Dawn and Iluminado set eyes on each other--liquid gold looking into evening blue.
  But such was the tale of the two that they had eons and eons of distance between them--for the vastness, as I have told, needed to be measured in time rather than length.
 
 
  Once, Ciela, the goddess of the sky and Dawn’s mother, saw her weeping on the bank of the silver waters (one of the 5 rivers that drain the heavens).
  She had heard the angels and the gods whispering about Dawn and her secret lover. Gently, she asked her daughter--
 
  ‘My child, who is this secret lover for whom you weep this way?’
 
  Between sobs, Dawn said, ’Oh mother, it is the lover whom I can never see, yet I know him; it is the lover whom I can never hear, yet I feel him; and it is he who can never be mine, yet I am his already. It is Iluminado.’
 
  Ciela didn't know what to do. She loved her daughter and approved of her lover but she knew that all the other gods would condemn her and her daughter if they heard this, they won’t even spare Iluminado.
 
  So she told Dawn in a hushed tone, ‘My child, I control the sky and all the stars in it and so I give you the liberty to be with your lover.’
  Dawn looked up at her mother who continued speaking, ‘But my child, you two can be together only till the last star disappears and no more after that. He is the ruler of the night and rule he shall the night and not show his face during the day, you being the bringer of the day would bring the day and not show your face during the night or during the day. But when it is neither day nor night and when the stars have started to vanish would be the time you can see each other. Watch the stars wisely for when the last one disappears and it is the time for your father to arrive, you would have to look away and if you don’t, the gods would condemn you to the darkest places of hell.’
 
  Here Ciela paused and looked at her daughter for approval. At Dawn’s nod, she spoke again, ‘Mind you, my child, when the two of you are together no one, mortal or god, should see you together.’
 
  And so the tale goes that Iluminado and Dawn saw each other as the dawn arrived. But the two were completely opposite, one’s embark marked the other’s dismissal. They were like fire and water together, like heat and ice, like blooms and fall. And yet they continued loving each other for all eternity.
 
  As for the mortals, they had already felt for them after hearing the angels’ songs and whenever they saw the lovers together, they turned away and pretended otherwise.
 
   And so I tell you all, if on some peaceful morning you come across the moon and the dawn together, look away for they are courting each other. Cross your fingers and pray that no god ever sees them together.
 
                                                                                                                                              ***

© 2014 Moonie


Author's Note

Moonie
I wish you liked the story. no offence meant to anyone if you think that mythologies should not be played with. I hate twisting mythologies myself but it is as my best friend, Sam says-legends die if you don't re-invent them.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't usually read stories here but your title drew me in... I find the idea of the moon touching the dawn illuminating...

A warm blush of a love story on your page Moon, why not take poetic license with mythology, that's how it all started to begin with...

'I give you the duty of waking up the world'...awesome line, you woke mine up...

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Moonie

9 Years Ago

Hahaha! Thanks for the lovely comment, Frieda! Your reviews would always be treasured by me. :))
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Awh, you're a sweetheart, was my pleasure! :)



Reviews

you struck a chord in me with this :) great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


The story was quite interesting & last 2 lines really gave me a feeling of curiosity to see the moon and the dawn together though, I never knew, if I ever can.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Moonie

8 Years Ago

Wow...Thanks for visiting, Skyfall!! :)))))
I'm glad you found it interesting! :)
Writer at last! Sky ~

8 Years Ago

Welcome friend :)
Yes. YES! my kind of writing! This is beautiful! This is brilliant. This is marvelous. Please write more like this. If I may ask I would really like for you to read my dstory Romans of Sun and Moon, The First Eclipse. You will see that it isn't far from this one you wrote. Again I say, BRILLIANT!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Moonie

8 Years Ago

Woah...woah..thanks for spoiling me with those compliments...I feel truly humbled..
I would r.. read more
mythology...hmm. not my field... the story is well thought out, lovely piece of work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

well...all my reviews ignored. should i even bother?
I can't improve on what others have said so I will say that I enjoyed this tale very much and I'm glad I came across it. You have immense talent.

Iluminado, on the other hand, had loved her from when he had first (saw) her on the day of her birth.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Moonie

8 Years Ago

Oh wow....what a compliment. Thank you so much for visiting my page and for brightening up my day wi.. read more
This is so beautiful and moving... light and dark mingling into love's bliss. I do so love the magic found in myths... the resonance and life that flows through their stories. Keep the stories living for us. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


The title of the story attracted my attention, so I read the whole thing, and I must say, it's well-written and very different. I absolutely fell in love with the idea of the forbidden love between the moon and the dawn, and I think the ending is brilliant. This seems like a story that could be published in a children's book as well; I feel that an eight-year-old with their head full of wonder and imagination would enjoy this story as much as I did. Kudos! (:

Posted 8 Years Ago


you know what's the best thing about the forbidden love stories? they are like chocolates, irresistible. what an exquisite writing you present here. I usually don't read stories as I am kind of a hurried person i tend to read works that are small but this story it just pulled me like gravity and after a few lines i was completely absorbed like one of those elements of the universe watching this love story and praying for their happy ending. Marvelous :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


"liquid gold looking into evening blue" .... what a line!
The story was so mesmerizing. I just couldn't stop...And yes, legends must be re-invented
Great job

Posted 8 Years Ago


Moonie

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Maumil. I like that line too. :))
Maumil Mehraj

8 Years Ago

and i came back to read it again
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
~
My oh my, a gorgeous write. I love myths and this story was full of striking mythological flare. A wonderful love and longing story. I like it how your story ends. At least in stories we can get a hopeful happy ending. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Moonie

8 Years Ago

Aww!!! :D love ya!! :))
~

8 Years Ago

love you too precious. XD
Moonie

8 Years Ago

:))) ♥♥♥

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

2346 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on June 1, 2014
Last Updated on June 1, 2014
Tags: love story, fantasy, forbidden love, mythology, myth, legend, moon, dawn, fiction, gods and goddesses

Author

Moonie
Moonie

About
If you're a dreamer, come in If you're a dreamer, a wisher, a liar A hope er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer, If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin .. more..

Writing
Dark things Dark things

A Poem by Moonie


August August

A Poem by Moonie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bear Bear

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Wayward Gypsy Wayward Gypsy

A Poem by Moonie