Linen sheets

Linen sheets

A Poem by Moonie
"

~read author's note first~

"
Linen pillows and sheets,
Empty cars, frigid sleet,
Rigid stubs of lavender closet crystals, 
Broken spirits, charred blisters,
Buried believes,  musty scars.
Back in the dirt of our actions, 
alone we are.
Throw salt over shoulders,
and call upon the Holy Spirit. 
Staple rosaries to
trembling fingers. 
Every night's the same 
dream--
written in God's fine script
on my mind.
The storm of action mutinies. 
Listen, the grass is stirring outside.....
To the clashing sound of blades,
a tangerine sun hangs on the sky.....


Bring life to rejoice,
Death to rejoice further.
Shoulders hunched over Bibles.
Wooden crosses, with
stiff iron nails
line the walls.


Milk our bones of all faith,
make us kneel down
in the dust,
Bury us alive in
rose coffins, 
we would still find some 
Hope to trust...

© 2014 Moonie


Author's Note

Moonie
I don't strive to degrage any religion. I have merely written this poem to show how religion, with its fixed believes and ideas, can kill a personal opinion. Even though, it does provide a support on which you can lean, or a harbor where you feel safe, it does not let you go ahead and discover your own believes. It passes down a set of rules that are to be followed, no matter what. It does not see into everyone 's individual opinion. Do you really think someone's believes, or the knowledge passed on by God can be bottled up in tiny books? Can we honestly try to bind people with different experiences and lives into one code of conduct? Is it possible to contain God in meagre churches, temples or shrines?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dearest Moon daughter, I believe that society without moral rules to follow would devolve into a chaos of rioting, selfishness, gluttonous orgies and thievery. Not much different from what we find on the headline news, is it? Think of how bad it would be if no one had moral rules to follow. My faith has sustained me through some harrowing, difficult circumstances. I believe that the intercession of certain wonderful saints asking for God's graces for me and my family saved my marriage and children. I saw first hand the cause and effect, the stimulus and the response. I don't believe in coincidences. I know how lost i was before I gave myself over to God completely. I live my life for Him first, and he feeds me and keeps me positive. My faith in my church evolved later, but the community that I have found there have become like family. That is a unique and powerful force for good in the world, and shouldn't be discounted easily. It isn't easy to follow the Big Ten, which is why we (in the Catholic Faith) have confession. It isn't easy for anyone. But go regularly, confess where you've messed up, and God heals you, forgives you, and helps you to start another day trying. I think it is important to keep trying to be the best, most loving person you can be every day. I fall down often and repeatedly. There are people I just don't like and I'm not perfect. But, I must keep trying. I loved this poem, by the way. Beautiful, insightful, lyrical, and fabulous...as always!

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Fernando Dardón

9 Years Ago

Well I believe just what you said and agree with that, but I would add something more:
I guess.. read more
This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.



Reviews

Quite a controversial subject matter you have chosen nonetheless I appluad how your piece is able to give context on the frustrations of many a beleiver with their respective religions. I personally have asked the exact same questions that inspired this peice and frankly i think answers to it will never come to me at least not in this life. I however believe that what truly matters is not religion but rather what matters is the basic concept in which most religion are built upon. Faith. I practice no religion but I do beleive in a higher being.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An interesting piece: calling out the beliefs or superstitions of modern Christianity/all religions Ta boot. You need to change believes, to beliefs in the poem and the author’s note. Being a man raised Catholic, turned Christian, I believe I speak to the honest truths in you’re poem. The traditions, the talismans, even the rituals associated with common religious dogma are flawed; however, the internal belief system is the same . . . Where would humanity be without hope and faith? The internal instruction to deviate away from evil, even if it’s out of fear to save your own soul (which, leads to selfishness, thus a sin has been cast.) The Acronym of the Bible is often called ‘The Book or instructions before leaving earth’. Now, even if your personal beliefs are Atheist, the values taught still hold true for the betterment of humanity. I do appreciate your point of view, traditions, talismans, and other material figures hold no real merit, except by those wielding them. To answer your original question, NO, but I better stop before I begin rambling as I often do.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

869 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 7, 2014
Last Updated on November 7, 2014
Tags: faith, religion, hope, actions, destiny

Author

Moonie
Moonie

About
If you're a dreamer, come in If you're a dreamer, a wisher, a liar A hope er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer, If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin .. more..

Writing
Dark things Dark things

A Poem by Moonie


August August

A Poem by Moonie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..