Bloodless Cut

Bloodless Cut

A Poem by Nathan Thompson

A feeling of damage which you cannot see.

A wound that has no blood, nor bruise, nor broken bone to show its presence.
At least with a cut, you feel a sting.
This is a cut. It is deep, deeper then the skin, deeper even then flesh below it.
It is where there should be feeling, but is it a cut?
Surely there should already be something there to have been cut away?
Is it damage or just a feeling of something missing that has me feeling so…empty?
It must be something on the other side of sadness. An emotion so all consuming your mind blocks out the agony of it.
Leaving you with nothing; a void where you feel an emotion should sit.
Even misery would be better then this!
Am I so intoned to my senses that I even feel them when they are not there?
And then you came.
You have soothed this pain.
You have filled my void with joy.
You have bandaged up my cut.
You have not changed me. I am still who I am but you have shown me in a new light.
You turn rejection into acceptance; you banished the loneliness and took me in.
You make me feel like the only person in the world that I wish to be.
I still feel unique but I am proud of my uniqueness.
You have taken my poor and defeated self and given me the confidence to see my own strength
But the cut is still there, beneath the joy, still wrapped in the bandage.
Bidding its time.
Waiting for the joy to abandon me to the darkness.
But do not fear for me, the cut is in us all.
Some handle it better then others.
Some are beaten by its presence.
Some have the courage, not to ignore it, but to accept that there is only one way to beat it.
It is to find someone to bandage it, to fill the void with shared happiness, and to sooth the pain.
Not to ignore the cut, but to accept its place in yourself.
And to those people out there, who know of what I speak.
To those who see the cut, not as an enemy, but as just another aspect of humanity, as I do.
Take hold of the joyous feeling that the one you love grants you.
Keep a part of it inside you.
Nurture it and let it give you the strength and confidence, we all need, to accept the pain of emptiness once again should your love fall.

© 2008 Nathan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The poem is very good. Your description of the cut, the healing and the possibility of the re-opening of the cut is outstanding . i like how you described each part of the story. This is a excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very emotive write. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 8, 2008
Last Updated on October 8, 2008

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing