Tempus

Tempus

A Poem by Nathan Thompson
"

This is a poem about Time. Keep it. Save it. Spend it. Use it. Don't waste it

"

What is Time? Is it something that can be manipulated? It is measured by everything, from the smallest movement on a clock face to the very orbit of a planet and, from there, to the lifetime of a Galaxy.

Is Time to be trusted? Some people rely on it to save their lives while others watch each tick of it go past and know they are one tick closer to death.

People curse their mistakes in the past, their bad fortune in the present and fear their fate in the future. Are people ever happy with their lot, wherever in Time they currently are?

They say “Time waits for no man”. Does Time know that it is relied upon to wait? You may as well rely upon distance to not be so far.

To think of Time as a body of water, would it be a lake or a river or even a vast Ocean? And what would our position be? Would we be those that swim with the current, or would we be more like those that struggle against the currents pull? It would be a futile attempt, of course, but certainly only for those with admirable determination.

To some, Time is but a terrible enemy or, perhaps, more like a closing in predator. To others, it is like a small pet; barely noticed except for the last few minutes. Much like death in that regard.

The answer to the question “What is Time?” however, is this; Time is a thing without any master and without any servant.

Time can be trusted for it cannot, and does not, deceive.

Time does not know that it should wait. It has no mind in which to keep that knowledge.

And, finally, if Time is a body of water, then it is certainly an unstoppable and infinite waterfall. Marvel at its beauty. Do not underestimate its power. Respect its duty. And accept that it will never stop.

© 2010 Nathan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great description of time and how we can't control it and you can make it move slow or more quickly. Time is time and there is nothing we can do to change it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"You may as well rely upon distance to not be so far."

Wise words.

"Time can be trusted for it cannot, and does not, deceive."

I love this line. Time is the only thing we know will come, no matter what. Ahhh wise words my friend.

Good piece. Really makes you think. I love your analogies. I think if you transformed this into a poem it would be a beautiful classic. I enjoyed reading this, so much reason behind it. There is almost a relief in knowing that time exists.

Posted 13 Years Ago


and yet somehow.... I feel it's gotten the best of me. No, really, I read your piece and agree... but those damn feelings.... they just like to linger. Excellent contemplations!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


nicely flowing introspection in this piece - and quite true.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A thought provoking piece. I very much like the ending comparing time to water, it flows beautifully in its simplicity.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good start to your story. I like the conversation and the complete story. I like how you used water and time. I look forward to reading more. The world is controlled by the flow of the great oceans and rivers and we give them little respect.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

696 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2010
Last Updated on June 6, 2010
Tags: Time, clock, tempus, hour, second, minute
Previous Versions

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..