11

11

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

Ahh, Ireland. I wonder what's in store?

"

"Good morning gents...and Kara." I sit down next to Taylor with a plate full of bacon, blood sausage, and eggs

"Morning man. How was your night?" Taylor asks

"You couldn't imagine." I say rubbing my said

Richard snickers from across the table.

"So what was so I portent earlier?" I wonder aloud

"We're leaving for Ireland today." Daimian says from behind me, scaring the crap out of me

I hang my head and regain my senses, "Was that necessary Daim?"

"No, but it was worth it."

"Worth it? What'd I do to you?"

"Nothing. It's what you're going to do. I've been your mentor for years Ivan, I know how your brain works. Anyways I suggest you all pack after you eat, the limo should be here shortly."

"We're going to the airport in a limo?!" Saundra exclaims

"Sick." I grin

"Oh, Richard, the Elders asked me to tell you they wish for you to stay behind. Something about Transylvania."

"Kay, thanks. Any further details?"

"Sorry, they were very hush hush on the subject."

"Daim, it's cold in Ireland isn't it?"

"Aye, so what?"

"What are we going to do about Saundra. She has no spare clothes except for what she was kidnapped in. She's been wearing my clothes for the last month. None of my heavy weather stuff fits her."

"I'll talk to my father about getting some money to buy her some clothes."

"Thanks Daim."

"Thank you Mr. Daimian." Saundra says gratefully

"Don't mention it kid. In extension it's kinda my job to make sure you get what you need."


We arrive at the airport three and a half hours later. We had stopped by a store on the way and got Saundra what she needed: shirts, pants, and other various other articles of clothing. After shopping we swept by a fast food joint to get something to eat on the go seeing that our flight was a long one and airline food is far too overpriced. A roadblock suddenly popped up in my head when I saw security.

"I just thought of something. How are we getting our weapons to Ireland?"

"One step ahead of you. All of our weapons are in a crate. For what you've got on you I've got these." Daimian hands each of us a wallet

When I open mine I find a badge and a card with T.S.O. at the top with a picture of me and all my basic information.

"Don't get used to them." Daimian warns,"They're fake ID's."

"Cool. What are we waiting for? Lets get moving." I grin advancing to the security metal detector/body scanner. I remove my boots and put them in a bin with my sunglasses, chains, cellphone, and real wallet and walk through the metal detector. The sensor stars beeping like mad as soon as I step into it.

"Sir I'm going to have to ask you to remove your jacket and send it through in a bin then step over here." A security guard holding a metal detecting wand requests

"Alrighty then. Before I do please take this," I say holding out the badge "I'd like to avoid getting tackled and forced to go through any less than necessary procedures."

The guard takes the badge wallet and examines it. "T.S.O.? What's that supposed to mean?"

Daimian steps forward holding up his own badge. "The T.S.O. is a specialized group of teenage special operation soldiers. That woman over there and I are these soldiers liaisons. I'll take no more questions from you, I've already told you all you need to know sir."

"You expect me to believe these kids are special ops? You're out of your mind. Son take off your jacket and step through." The guard orders

"Guess it's gonna be the hard way boss." I say to Daimian and do as I'm told. I revile my shinie arsenal and don't even get the chance to step through the metal detector.

"Holy shi..," the guard cries when he sees me

"Believe me know?" Daimian asks tired

"I uh, ummm, y...yea. I mean I kinda have to. There's really no other reason why a kid would be carrying a medieval armory. You all can go through, I'm sorry we wasted your time sir."

"We'll now, that saves a load of time." I slip on my jacket again, "I thought they might take each of us aside and question us one by one."

"Ivan shut up and walk" Kara whispers to me, "You might give them ideas."

"Right as always." I smile then jog to catch up with Taylor and Saundra


We're seated up in first class. I was sharing a row with my counterparts. Daimian sits with Kara few rows back. First class is a lot less glamorous than I imagined. The seats were comfier than coach and the provided meals were also upgraded, but a plane ride is a plane ride. Boring no matter how many in flight movies they cram into it. The flight took fourteen hours total, and that's with us going nonstop.


Ireland is frigid. We've been driving for about an hour through Ireland's beautiful countryside in search of the entrance to the Underground. We eventually find a circle of rocks on the ground in the middle of nowhere.

"So this is a fairy ring huh?" Daimian smiles

"I haven't been to an Underground in years. Before we go I'm going to tell you ahead of time, stay with me. Some of the things down there are none too friendly and would sooner put you down than spit at you." Kara warns

"Sounds fun. So Daim, what do we do with this ring of rocks?" I ask waving off what she'd just said

"We place an item of tribute in the center and wait for a guide to come along. Anyone have anything gold or valuable on them?"

"I think my earrings are a couple karats." Saundra says

"My watch is probably enough." Taylor says unbuckling the latch on his wrist

"The guides hate tech of any sort, they'd never take a watch."

I look down and think if I've got anything to offer. I see something shine out of the corner of my eye. It's a small yellow coin...no it's gold! "How about this?" I pick up the coin

"Get yer grubby fingers off me gold!" A small man with a red beard barks from behind a tree. The man was probably only 3 feet tall and wore a brown and green mottled cloak. "Don't cha know yer not sa'posed ta touch other people's belongin's?"

"I'm sorry." I say startled as the man snatched the coin from my hand

"Ya best be. Thought I might have to teach you a thing or two about manners." He said polishing the coin with his cloak.

"Excuse me my small friend but would you happen to be a leprechaun?" Daimian asks sincerely

"I'm Patrick O'conner, guard and guide to the Underground. What can I do fer ya?"

"Well that saves us a lot of trouble." Taylor notes

"Why would that be laddie?"

"Because now we don't have to lure you here with anything valuable."

"Okay, well then what be in it fer me? Guide's gotta make a livin' somehow lad."

"Let's just say if you lead us to the Underground you'll be free of your debt to Silvermain."

"Will I now? Surprised he still remembers that. Well in that case what we be waitin' fer? I'll lead ya free of charge." Patrick says as he turns and walks away, "keep up lads."


The journey is a long one . We are lead by hills, across pastures, through forests, and over rivers. We eventually come across the first town in hours since we departed the night before. It's kinda small and secluded and for a moment I think we've traveled back into medieval times.

"Can we take a break for breakfast? It's got to be nearly eight in the morning by now." I say staring at the rising sun

"One O' you can go into town and bring back breakfast." Patrick says nervously, "Folks round these parts see me as little more than a paycheck with legs."

Daimian raises his hand, "I'll go. I don't suppose they take MasterCard do they?"

"No." Patrick huffs then digs into his pockets, "Here's some shillings. Should be enough to but you some ham, oats, and eggs." Patrick drops a few gold coins into Daimian's hand before he sets off for town

 

We've been waiting around for around ten minutes in silence before it's finally broken.

"So if ye don't mind my askin', why are ye headed for the Underground? You don't look like the type to be spendin' too much time there."

"To gather an army." I say bluntly

Panic washes over Patrick's face. "You be with those Eclipse fellows then?"

"Eclipse fellows?" Taylor asks curiously

"Aye, the army of tha Chaos Eclipse. They bin in tha Underground often. The last I saw of them was last week. A drake kin was recruiting there. Said that they would be joining an army of the great god, Avengus."

"Drake kin, what is that?" I ask the leprechaun

"We'll Wyatt mentioned something about a Dragonborn. Perhaps they're related." Saundra recalls

"Who be this Wyatt fellow?"

"Wyatt is my mentor, he had to stay back where we came from on business." Saundra informs

"Who's this Avengus guy you mentioned?" I ask

"The great god Avengus. The god of wealth, prosperity, and of course revenge." Daimian says walking into view, "Just what we need, some crackpot doing a 'god's' work. I'm sure he's full of self righteousness to." Daimian sets the food on a log and takes a collapsible pan from his pack.

"Ya have a problem with righteous creatures?" Patrick accuses

"Indeed I do. Almost every war in history has been the will of some almighty creator. It's a cover for their wicked ways, an excuse for murder and genocide."

"What would ye pup know about war?"

"You forget how my kinda was made leprechaun." Daimian growls while cracking eggs open over a pan, which was resting on a grill surface over the campfire. The eggs hiss and sizzle when they hit the metal surface of the hot pan.

"How long until the food is going to be ready Daim?" I ask as my stomach churns

"Probably about ten minutes or so. Why?"

"I'm going for a quick walk. Saundra, what to tag along?"

"Sure." She says popping up and dusting herself off

"Taylor, go with them." Daimian orders

"Daim you don't have to watch us. If we wanted to make out we'd do it right here." I smirk, but it's unreturned by my old mentor.

"It's not what I think you might do, it's who you might run into. Those villagers seemed really edgy and there's this Army of the Chaos Eclipse now. There's strength-"

"In numbers. I know. Come on guys my legs are falling asleep." I roll my eyes then trot into the woods surrounding us.


"We be almost to tha Underground. A few rules though for those who are unfamiliar with the hidden city. Firstly, be cautious when ye see tha Chaos Eclipse banners. Secondly, travel in groups. They're be thieves and murderers down there. And lastly, and this is the most important one, be polite."

"That means no picking fights Ivan." Kara eyes me, speaking the obvious

"Come on, how many times have I actually done that?" I defend myself

"Nine." Taylor says bluntly

"What a pal." I say sarcastically

"I try." He grins

"Just for the record, six of those nine the other guy provoked me first."

"Sure they did laddie. Now shut yer trap and follow me closely, it gets dark ahead." Patrick scoffs

"You want to be number ten Irish boy?" I growl



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 11, Chapter Eleven, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick