13

13

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick

We wind up at a hotel a mile away from the giant chandelier that lights up the Underground. If it were rated, the hotel would be a four star. It is very nice. I begin to wonder how we’re going to pay for a place like this when Maurine holds a hand up to a rather ugly looking creature behind the main desk and mumbles something. The creature's eyes go dark, as if its eyes disappeared altogether and left two empty sockets, and it hands over two keys. My jaw drops.

"How in the hell did you do that!" I question in awe

"A simple mind rot charm. Like telepathically controlling someone, except they don't remember doing anything." Maurine tells us

Taylor has a massive grin on his face. "Wicked. Ivan, it's times like these that I wonder to myself, why did we pick Lycanthropes?"

"Thanks." Daimian says, his words hollow

"I didn't mean it Daim. I was just saying that necromancy seems really cool." Taylor apologizes

"Sure, sure. And what makes necromancy so much cooler than being lycanthropic?" Daimian asks

"I was just saying. I think being able to summon minions and placing people under charms and spells sounds cool, not to mention useful. Seriously, it's necromancy that scored us rooms in this sweet hotel." Taylor argues

Daimian looks away from Taylor, clearly upset. After a minute he lets out a deep sigh and takes one of the keys from Maurine and heads upstairs to the room printed on the key's tag. I look at Saundra, feeling slightly guilty for what had just happened. She nods at me, signaling that I should go talk to Daimian. I take off up the stairs.

"Yo, Daim, wait up." I gasp, out of breath, "Hey Daim, what's up? There really wasn't any reason for all that back there."

Daimian stairs at me with eyes full of hurt.

"Is this because I turned Lycan?" I worry

He nods, obviously close to tears. "You and Taylor are like sons to me. I'll admit when you asked my permission to become a Lycan I felt a bit betrayed, but you felt you had to do that so I went along with it. Now with Taylor looking at Necromancy I'm practically scattered."

"Daim. Taylor told you he was kidding. Yes, he expressed some interest in the subject but I doubt that he would leave you. Neither will I, regardless of my breed. I've been with you since day one, and if given that choice Taylor would have been too." I pause for a moment, thinking of what to say next. "You're as much of a father to us as we are sons to you."

We smile at each other, healing emotional wounds.

  "Lets go back to the group before this gets too mushy and we hug." I joke

We race to the bottom of the grand staircase we were on, then topple over on the lobby floor laughing and trying to catch our breaths. In an instant I can tell everyone knows things are back to normal.

We are up in our rooms. Ra, Maurine, and Amber in their room. Taylor, Daim, and I in the first of the new rooms, the girls are sharing the second. Our rooms are connected by a shared bathroom with a door leading into both the rooms.

Taylor pulls me out into the hallway. "Hey man, I want to thank you for patching things up for me."

"No problem. What are blood brothers for, right? Besides it’s was kinda my fault." I say

Taylor looks at me confused and I tell him about the conversation between Daimian and myself. Taylor shakes his head, "So he thought I would really leave him for necromancy? That idiot."

"Yep. Hey, why don't I leave you guys to talk in private? Saundra and I haven't been out in a while." I suggest

"Thanks again dude." Taylor nods

"Yep." I say then knock on the door to the Girls' room and call out,"Sundra get dressed up nice, we're going out."

The door opens to reveal a very happy Saundra. "Where we going?"

"No idea. Hey Kara, what's a nice restuarant in these parts? Preferably with English menus." I ask Kara ask we walks by in a nightgown

"The only place I can think of with English menus is Alexander's Steakhouse. It's right around the block, you can't miss it. The sign is in English as well." She says

"Thanks Kara." I smile then go back to my room to get ready with whatever semi-formal clothes I brought by chance

I'm lucky. I find a pair of dress pants and a black and white button up shirt, although slightly wrinkled. I go to the bathroom, hoping I'd get there before Saundra. Fact, girls take much long to get ready for something than guys. I arrive too late though, I hear the shower running inside with Saundra humming an unfamiliar tune. I wait five minutes after I hear the shower shut off and knock on the door.

 "Saundra you done? I need to take a shower still." I say through the door

"Yea, one second." There's a shuffle inside then the door opens to Saundra wearing a shining purple dress with a towel sitting on her head. "All yours. Just hurry, I still have to put on my make-up."

A good fifteen minutes later Saundra and I are all ready to go and heading out the lobby doors. The streets are mostly clear with the occasional creature here or there. Kara's directions were great, the restaurant was literally around the corner and a block away. We really didn't need the directions though, we followed our noses  to a big dome with a sign that read

Alexander's House of Steak

with a picture of a slab of meat with a crossed knife and fork. We head inside the domed building and are immersed in a variety of tantalizing smells. We are seated near the back wall and order water to drink because the underground doesn't exactly carry soda. We're not old enough for liqueur, and just about sick of blood.

"So what caused this sudden need of a date? They guys kick you out?" Saundra accuses

"No, I volunteered to leave. Taylor and Daim needed some time alone and we haven't had a date in a while. I figured that you'd like a night out. Was I wrong?"

"Not at all. So do you think anyone will come after us?" Saundra glances over her shoulder

"For the registry post? I doubt it, we didn't leave very many clues about us except that we're capable swordsmen, and woman, and one of us is a bit of a firebug." I say

"Speaking of, how was I? I saw you watching me." Saundra asks eagerly

"Overall you were great. Your parries were a tad bit loose, but that's an easy fix. When we get back to the Den I'll start sparring with you. That's how you really learn to fight, through experience." I smile

A short green creature with rather large ears and a crooked nose in a suit approaches us. "Have we decided on what we would like to order tonight?"

"Not quite." I laugh, "Haven't even opened the menu yet."

"I shall return shortly then." The creature nods

Saundra and I take a look to the menu and I quickly find something that calls out to my tastes. Steak. Big, juicy, melt in your mouth Porterhouse steak. "Well I found what I want. Do you see anything that sounds good?"

"The chicken alfredo looks really good." Saundra notes

As if he were listening to us the waiter walks back to the table. "What will we be having tonight?" He looks patiently at me first.

"I'll take the porterhouse steak, rare please." I hand the waiter my menu as he turns to Saundra

"And I think I'll order the chicken alfredo." She orders hand her menu over as well

"Very well. Your food will be out momentarily." The green creature says then promptly walks away and disappears through the kitchen doors

There was a sudden commotion coming from the entrance of the restaurant. The green waiter dashes across the eatery to the sounds. There was another equally small, green, and ugly creature, except this one was decked out in armor with a nasty scar along the right side of his face. The room comes to an eerie silence as the two green men talk. The waiter points over at us and the armored one begins towards us.

I immediately roll my eyes and run my hands through my hair. "Crap! Saundra, can you handle this? I left my weapons at home and I'm no good at talking."

"I can try I guess." Saundra shrugs

The green man in armor stands at the edge of the table and clears his throat and staring at me, demanding to be noticed.

I glance at his casually. "Hello? Who might you be?"

The green man looks offended. "I, young man, an Goblin general Mammon of the Chaos Eclipse Army. You however are under arrest." He says holding up two pairs of handcuffs

"What have we done?" Saundra cries

"Silence!" Mammon snaps, slapping Saundra with the back of his hand

Saundra falls to the ground shocked.

I tear upwards from my seat, fangs and claws erupting from hiding spots. I grab Mammon by his stubby green neck and roar in his face. "Apologize. Now!" I snarl at him

"Mammon's eyes are twice their normal size as he's struck by panic. "W-what are you? I was told you were a Lycan but no Lycan can do that."

 I ignore his question and bark the command at him again.

  The other creatures in the restaurant flee the scene hastily, leaving money on their tables.

  When Mammon fails to carry out my command I snarl and throw him into the wall with all my strength. He hits hard, his head giving an audible "thunk" as it bounces off the wall. There is a small crater where he hit. I look at my hands and realize I've changed into my wolven state. I look over to Saundra in surprise, who returns the look just as shocked. With no need for words I throw an unconscious Mammon over my shoulder and head out of the restaurant, Saundra close behind.

She turns to the waiter before leaving, "You're so getting stiffed." She leaves with her nose in the air.


Once we're back at the hotel hallway I tell Saundra to get Kara, Maurine, Ra, and Amber. She leaves without a word.

I knock on the door to my room and call out "Ho ho ho!" as I walk in. "I brought Christmas early this year."

Taylor and Daimian look from me, to each other, to the window. Taylor jogs over to the window, swings it open, and sticks his head out and looks up. He pulls it back in soon after.

"How are you like that?" Taylor points to my hulking, hairy body covered in what used to be clothes

I toss Mammon on the bed, still unconscious, and shrug. "Beats me but I like it. I feel stronger, nimbler, and altogether better. Tie him up before he wakes up." I point to Mammon

"Who is that Ivan?" Daimian raises an eyebrow

"No one really, just the Goblin general of the Chaos Eclipse. His name is Mammon." I answer

"How'd you...when? I thought you were out on a date."

"It's a long story, wait till the others get here." I say as Kara walks through the bathroom rubbing the sleep from her eyes

She raises an eyebrow when she sees me.

I instantly hold up a hand...paw...fingered grabbing unit. "Don't ask."


Soon everyone is in our room and Mammon is tied up snugly. Now back in human form I re-tell mine and Saundra's evening.

"How'd he find you?" Maurine asks Saundra, jerking a thumb over at Mammon who must've come to sometime during my recap.

"Honestly we don't have a clue. I'm guessing the waiter tipped him off." She replies

I'm sitting in a chair backwards with my arms folded over the top and my head resting on my arms. "Now that he's awake why don't we ask him. We came here for answers didn't we?"

"Forget it! I ain't sayin' nothin to the likes of you, fleabag." Mammon spits

I growl at him before responding. "Such hostility from such a small creature. What'd I ever do to tick you off so much? You know, besides bashing you against a wall and taking you captive."

"You killed Thrallis! He was my slave. I owned him so killing him is like stealing from me. NO ONE STEALS FROM ME!!!" Mammon thrashes about on the bed as best he could to try to break his bindings. He resembles a child throwing a fit.

"That's right, Mammon is the demon of greed." I pat him on the head and pull my hand back quickly as Mammon snaps at it with needle-like-teeth. I count my fingers before glaring at him.

"I've got spies everywhere. Dram, the waiter, was a spy of mine. He listened in on the couple and sent a messenger to get me." Mammon gloats

Daimian's eyes narrow. "How many soldiers does your army have?"

Mammon sniffs and looks away, "wouldn't you like to know. Did you really think I'd spill my guts if you just asked please?" Mammon laughs

"Fine then, I'll spill them for you." I grab a dagger from my sleeve and point it at his nose

"Still not talking." Mammon says defiantly

Daimian sighs in frustration. "Fine, we'll just have to steal more from you then."

"Like what?" Mammon challenges

Daimian abruptly stands and gets in Mammon's face, "Your life if necessary." He then looks at me and snaps his fingers. "Ivan, take his ears off, that'll be a good starting place. Don't cut too low though, we still need him to hear the questions."

I hop onto the bed, twirling the dagger around my finger. With experienced timing I stop it mid-spin and press it against his left ear. "You might want to get something to bite down on; this is going to hurt...a lot."

"Ivan." Maurine calls, "Don't. Cutting his ears off will spill too much blood. I don't like messes. Let me take care of this." She says

I return to my chair and twirl my dagger again.

Maurine kneels by the foot of the bed and looks Mammon in the eye. She leans in and whispers "Riggis Mortos."

Mammon's eyes shoot wide with pain as he begins to writhe like a dying snake. Maurine keeps this up for about five minutes before she stops. Mammon breathes heavily, his eyes twitching.

Daimian asks his question again, "What is the size of your army?"

"Pathetic." Mammon glares

Daimian turns to Maurine, "I think he insulted you."

Maurine makes eye contact with him again and barks another spell. "Mortos Maxim!"

Mammon writhes in pain again, crying out this time. In less than a minute he cries out, "Stop! Stop! I'll talk!"

Maurine cancels the spell. "Speak." She commands

"Ten thousand! We have ten thousand soldiers and growing. Azmodaus meets with the leprechaun king tomorrow! Please don’t do anymore!" Mammon begs



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 13, Chapter Thirteen, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick