14

14

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick

"Tomorrow? By the time Patrick gets us in to see his king they could already be on their side." I pace around the room wanting to rip out Mammon's tongue for saying what he did

"I don't think that the king would make such a decision immediately. Plus, by now, Patrick should have spoken to him. So now the king has two sides to hear from. We just need to make a better impression than Azmodaus, shouldn't be too hard." Saundra reasons

"Saundra you've seen Azmodaus right? Not to say they're all like this but he's a rich, probably drunken, Irish creature with an extremely attractive Vampire trying to win him over to their army. I'm thinking this will be harder than you may thing babe." I ramble, rubbing my eyes "What are we doing with the Goblin for tonight? I'm not sleeping on the floor."

"Just tie him to the chair, we can figure out what to do with tomorrow." Daimian yawns then flops down on one of the three beds is our room

"We'll I guess this meeting is over, so we'll be going back to sleep." Maurine says then turns on her heel and goes back to her room, followed by Ra and Amber

Taylor and I wrestle Mammon into a chair then restrain his arms and legs to the wood; Mammon cursing all the while and trying desperately to slip the ropes binding him. Daimian  was now breathing in deep, heavy intervals behinds us, fast asleep.

"Kara, you coming into the other room to go over our plans?" Taylor Invites

"Not tonight, I need my beauty sleep." She says, declining the offer

"Beauty sleep...right why didn't I think of that? Well can you stuff some cotton in his ears before you fall asleep?"

"What for?" She asks clearly disgusted by the idea

"So that our green guest isn't eavesdropping on our plans. You know what, it's probably best if I just do it now." I say grabbing a bag of cotton balls from the bathroom counter

I pull out a few cotton balls and jam them in one ear, then do the same with the other. I quickly go to wash my hands afterwards out of fear of some unknown goblin-ear-dwelling disease. I join Saundra and Taylor in the other room soon after.

"So what's our next move?" Taylor asks the moment I step into the room

"What are you asking me for?" I retort

"Because you're kind of the leader of this little army." He elaborates

"I must have missed the memo. Running a rebellion is a bit of a burden to put on the shoulders of a teenage Lycan don't cha think? Besides, I'd say Daimian is better suited for leading than I am."

"Daimian isn't going going to be around forever, Ivan, you are." Taylor snaps

"I'm not immortal Taylor! I can still die, and probably will before this war is over." I snap back

Sensing the tension between us, Saundra stands between us. "Ivan isn't leading alone though. He's got us, he's got his generals. Ivan, you're more of a figurehead for us to follow right now."

"Anyways, back to what we're supposed to be talking about. What is our next move?" Taylor repeats

"Well first we need to meet with the leprechaun king and pray the he doesn't side with the Eclipse. Then we should probably report back to the Elders at the Den. We can plan our next step from there." I propose to them

After we get our plan situated talk about the events that have taken place over the day: the recruiting post, meeting Maurine and her misfits, Saundra's date with me, Taylor's talk with Daimian while we were out.

I don't know when I fell asleep but we must have moved. I wake up in a dim candle lit room. I try to look around more but I can't. I find my hands and arms strapped to the wooden table I was laying on by leather belts, my feet and legs are as well. I'm able to lift my head up and see the space in front of me. The floor is made of cobblestone. There is a stockade in a corner, with holding cells along one wall. There was a corpse hanging from shackles impaled with several different weapons; small axes and daggers with a sword sticking straight down through the skull coming out of the upper jaw. It's arms and legs have been completely torn off. I'm guessing they're the pile of bones under the poor soul.

At the sight of the horrific scene I begin to struggle and try to break free of my bonds, but the more I struggle the tighter the belts become. I call out for help to anyone that will listen.  A rather fat troll lumbers into the room. He's got light green and blue feathery hair and one broken tusk.

"Master!" The troll calls out the doorway, "The Lycan is awake."

"Excellent." A voice says from out of sight, booming and full of power. "Let's greet our guest with utmost respect." A muscular hoof steps through the door, it's hair black as death. Once he's all the way in view I can see what he really is, an abomination. He's got two large, masculine hoofed legs. His torso is that of a humans but completely void of color, he has a pair of wings jutting from his back with ravens' feathers. His head is as pale his torso with two large horns sticking out of his forehead that hint they could easily end a life.

He bows curiously before speaking. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Avengus, god of wealth, prosperity, and revenge. My friend here is Beelzebus.” He pats the troll on the head as if it were a child

“Master, when you're done I eat him?” Beezebus drools

“I don’t think I’d sit well with you. I’d upset your stomach for sure.” I quip

Avengus chuckles. “No Beelzebus, he is important to us. Now if you please Ivan, some answers.”

“About what? The rebellion? Not on your life.” I refuse

Avengus tuts at me, not as put out as i would have liked. He grabs a knife from the corpse and approaches me, hostility burning bright in his red-irised eyes. “You have one chance and one chance only. Where is your base? Who are your leaders?  What races have joined you?”

I glare at him, “Get stuffed Avengus. I’m not talking.”

With a wicked smile Avengus plunges the dagger through my left hand, causing me to cry out. Avengus asks again, I refuse again, he stabs again. we go through this routine a few times before I feel  an odd tingle in my chest. I don't get to find out what it is though as I’m suddenly shaken. My eyes snap open to see Saundra. It was all just a nightmare!

“Are you okay? You were screaming in your sleep.” Saundra explains concerned

“It... it was all just a nightmare?” I stare into the darkness taking deep breaths

“What was it about?” Saundra asks, still worried

“I saw Avengus. He was torturing me, trying to make me tell him details about the rebellion.” I tell her

There is a stirring from the window. I instinctively snap my gaze over to see Taylor tossing about in his sleep.

“You didn’t seem to affect him at all.” Saundra observes

“That’s because he could sleep through an elephant stampede.” I joke, “But he does seem to be having a troubling dream of his own. You go ahead back to sleep, I’m going to stay up a while and try to clear my thoughts.” I say wiping sweat from my brow

“I can’t sleep. Ever since I was turned into a Vampire I haven't been able to sleep much at night. Just an instinct thing i guess.” Saundra explains

“Well then I guess I’ll have company for the night.” I pause for a moment, “Let’s go for a walk. I can’t stand small spaces with sleeping people, even if a shuttle launch wouldn’t wake them I’m still nervous I might.

Saundra and I slip into our jackets and exit the room silently. I remember to leave a note under Daimian’s door to let him know that we went out in case we’re not back by time he wakes up. Saundra and I walk along the mostly empty dirt streets of the Underground, illuminated by the neon signs of various buildings. I’m not able to read any of them and glad of it, i have a feeling that most weren’t appropriate. We just wonder the streets aimlessly, enjoying each others presence. After a while I noticed we’ve wondered all the way back to where Patrick brought us in through. I eye it, then Saundra, then the entrance again.

“Want to go outside? I could use some fresh air instead of the stale stuff in here.” I ask

“Sure.” Saundra answers with a smile

I pull Saundra along behind me and make for the cave with the retractable wall. I press what i remember as the same area that Patrick pushed in. Again, with a rumble, the wall lifts and reveals the cool caves behind it. A serge of cold, mildewy air blows on us as we walk in. Tracing out steps backward we eventually find our way out into the open.

I inhale deeply, admiring the fresh, crisp, cool breeze that blew gently over the clover fields surrounding us. “You don't realize what you take for granted until you spend a few hours in a dark, damp hole in the ground."

Saundra was staring up at the sky in wonder, "Yeah. Look up Ivan. Isn't it beautiful."

I'm taken aback by how clear the sky is tonight, but also my how full of stars it is. "Wow." I say  silently as a star streaks across the sky

"Ivan? Saundra? What ye lads be doin up here?" A voice questions from behind

I turn around to find who spoke to us, but find no one present.

"Over here." The voice calls from a waving tree

"Why is that tree waving at us?" Saundra asks puzzled by her own awkward question

The tree advances and turns out not to be a tree at all. "Because that tree is a Leprechaun lass." The voice announces from under a leaf.

"Patrick is that you? Why the hell are you dressed as a tree?" I manage to ask through a self contained laugh

"Aye laddie. I be in disguise. There were some humans snoopin round here. The fact the wall opened must mean they be long gone." Patrick plucks the leaves covering his eyes

"How long have you been hiding?" Saundra asks

"Probably three or four hours." Patrick shrugs

"That's some dedication. I'd have left to go find another entrance a long time ago." I chuckle at his misfortune

"Enough bout me. I have news m'lord, both good and bad. Good news first, King McMill has agreed to meet with you and the others. Now bad, the Eclipse fellows have someone meetin with 'im as well."

"Azmodaus, we know." I'm met by a quizzical look from Patrick. "I kinda managed to capture an Eclipse general named Mammon. We interrogated him and got him to sing like a song bird."

"Ye captured tha Goblin general? Most impressive my young lord." Patrick compliments

"Young lord? What is that all about?" I ask

"It's plain as day that ye be leadin’ this lil' rebellion. This Azmodaus is only a general, yes? This could be a good thing for ye."

"What do you mean?" Saundra asks confused

"I think I understand, I'll explain on the way back. Patrick, does the Underground have a black market or some sort of illegal goods exchange?" I ask

"Aye. I be guessing ye need somethin from it."

"Indeed. I need you to go and buy the most simplistic cell phone they have, along with a charger." I turn to Saundra, "Lets go get the others. We need to leave as soon as possible."

The three of us race back into the Underground, then split up when we hit the main street. Patrick takes off as fast as his stubby little legs can carry him to the dark district. Saundra and I go straight for the hotel. It's dawn by the time we arrive and the giant chandelier is being lit to shine over the Underground. Everyone is awake when we enter the room. I cut Daimian off in the middle of a sentence directed at Mammon.

"Patrick is back, we need to leave as soon as possible. Pack now, we're off to see the king." I order

They drop what they're doing and pack. Mammon is in his chair quietly fuming. In ten minutes we're all packed and waiting in the lobby for Patrick to show up, who appears a few minutes later with a small box in his hands.

"Got it." Patrick says holding the box in the air for me to see

I take the box from him and stuff it in my bag. "Awesome. Thank you Patrick. Next stop, King McMill, lets go."

"Aye me Lord." Patrick salutes then leads us out of the Underground and across the countryside

We march across the Irish countryside for hours, stopping only twice. Once so that Saundra, Daimian, and Taylor could cover up from the sun. Kara and I aren't light sensitive but if exposed for too long Taylor and Daim will go into Solar Overload and Saundra may spontaneously combust. The other stop was for lunch. We stop by a diner in a small little town, much to Patrick's dismay, and ordered food to go. It was a cold lunch, but that's better than no lunch at all.

We reach a castle around five o'clock P.M.. Patrick calls out for guards to lower the drawbridge.

"Who be at the gates?" A guard calls down

"Generals and The Lord of the...." Patrick turns to me, "What is tha name of our militia? We can't go round callin' ourselves 'Rebel Army'."

I think for a moment then step forward, "I am The Lord of the Anti-Eclipsial Army, these are my generals.  We have a meeting with King McMill."

There's a distinct clacking sound as the drawbridge descends, granting us access to the castle. We walk across and are met by a troop of guards that lead us to a grand hallway decorated with greens, whites, and lots of gold. Along with the decoration there were portraits of the past kings lining both sides of the hallway. The hallway opens up into a massive room. In the center of the far wall sits a throne. Three stages high, made out of gold crested with emeralds and diamonds that twinkle in the candlelight and bright red cloth that stuck out against the rest of the room.

A boy the size of a four year old, but looked at least thirteen, can through a door and announced to the room, "Now presenting his royalty, King McMill the fifth."  

Patrick kneels as trumpets sound, so I follow his lead. I see only feet in very expensive looking boots walk by, followed by a long robe tail and behind that we're two sets of armored feet.

"Rise." McMill commands

We do as he says. I move to the front of the group and clear my throat. "It's truly a pleasure to be here. Thank you for seeing us." I bow "I am Lord Ivan Burgman, these are my generals." I gesture to the group behind me. "We have requested your presence so that we may form an alliance for an inevitable war."

McMill turns to the boy at his side who called the introduction. "Go fetch our guests Trevor." He returns his attention back to us, "You are not the first to request the aid of my army. Just yesterday I was visited by Lady Azmodaus of the Army of the Chaos Eclipse. Why should I join you instead of the mighty Avengus?" McMill asks sternly

“Has Azmodaus told you of their goal?” I ask

“Not as of yet, no. She soon will though, as will you tell me yours. I’ve sent for her to be a part of this meeting.” McMill states

“You’re not actually considering joining them are you?” I wonder aloud

“I’ve not considered anyone, yet. We will wait for Lady Azmodaus to be present. Until then please sit. Rest your legs from your Journey.” King McMill motions to some high-back chairs to the left of his throne.

“We thank you.” I bow again and go take a seat in one of the chairs.

The doors open a few moments later to reveal Trevor and Azmodaus, who had dressed in her skintight dress. Her whip curled up in her hand, at the ready should it be needed.

I stand and return to the area in front of King McMill, a few feet away from Azmodaus the lustful.

“Now that both parties are present we can begin. Lady Azmodaus, since you arrived first, you may speak first.” the King smiles at the intoxicatingly beautiful Vampire

“Thank you your royalty. My lord, Avengus, has sent me to recruit the aid of the leprechauns to help resist and rebels, such as our guests here.” She eyes me

“Rebels against what exactly?” McMill asks

“Lord Avengus wishes to take command of the humans, creating a perfect world for us less populated species of the earth. We have been hunted to the brink of extinction by the humans. It’s time to get our revenge, but we can only do so when lead by Lord Avengus. Leprechauns are no strangers to this. To this very day your kind are hunted by humans so they may steal your riches. Join us and we can put a stop to that.” Azmodaus bribes

“She makes a valuable point.” McMill notes “Lord Ivan, it’s your turn.”

“Thank you most noble host. We are indeed rebelling against these enslaving forces. They wish to turn humans into their slaves and their food. You are allies with the Lycans, yes? Well Lycans need natural, free range humans so to speak, humans to hunt. I know this because I myself am a Lycan. Your affected-”

“Lies!” Azmodaus shrieks, “This boy is no Lycan but a mere lycanthrope. He is a fake created by the humans!”

“And your entire legion of soldiers aren’t?” I reply, “And yes I am indeed a true Lycan. I was turned by a Lycan who works with us. Now as I was saying, you’re just as affected by the humans more than you may be aware of. Yes a few humans still hunt your kind but you can waltz into any modernized town in Ireland and see that they all but worship you. They’ve entire stores dedicated to your kind. If you join these false worshiping Eclipse soldiers you are forsaking your power, wealth, and kin. They already have all the generals they need. One for every one of the humans’ seven deadly sins, that we have recognized as natural urges of being a living creature. Do you honestly think they’d have you lead?” I conclude

“Yes we would. We’d need someone of authority to lead the Leprechauns." She defends

"Now you tell lies." I accuse her, "you have your leaders. I can list them off, name and race." I face King McMill, "I bet they'd make some cheap title for you and give you your share in the beginning but slowly take away more and more until you're left with nothing. They'd strip you of your power, riches, and dignity. Perhaps they might go as far as to take away your throne or, worse yet, your life." I predict

  "This is slander! How would they know anything that we might or might not do?! This is unethical and unprofessional!" Azmodaus raves furiously

  "How would we know? Why don't you ask him?" I snap my fingers and Mammon is led forward by Taylor. "I captured him when he tried to attack me by himself."

  Azmodaus looks at Mammon pleadingly, "Tell me this isn't so. You didn't tell them anything did you?"

"They tortured me!" Mammon cries, "The pain was horrible. I had to. I had to tell to make it stop!" Mammon starts to weep silently, "And he...he isn't any normal Lycan. He can do things no Lycan can do." Mammon points a shaking finger at me

"Return him at once!" Azmodaus commands

"Only if you immediately leave Ireland and never set foot on it's soil again. Otherwise he will be publicly executed in the Underground. You wouldn't want that now would you?" I demand

  "Fine. We will agree to your demands." She lowers her gaze, then glares at me, "But we're not leaving until this meeting is over." She turns her attention to McMill. "Are you going to let yourself be ruled over by a boy? I mean I doubt he's even-"

"Now how's being slanderous?" I mock her hypocrisy

"Enough!" King McMill shouts, "Both parties leave. My servants will show you to your rooms."

  We all kneel as King McMill leaves the room. Almost immediately afterwards  we are whisked away to a room to wait. The wait is impossibly nerve racking. I can't stand still for a single second of the half hour we wait in that room for McMill to make his decision. I rerun the meeting through my head from McMill's point of view to get an idea of who's argument sounded better, Azmodaus's or mine, and decide we both sound pretty bad. It was more of a battle than a meeting. If I were him I'd choose to stay neutral. Finally there's a knock on the door.

  "His highness, King McMill, has requested you in his presence. He's decided." Trevor's voice says through the green, gold trimmed, door.

I thank him then make my way to the throne room, followed by my entourage of generals/friends. King McMill is waiting for us in his throne. His face had an approving smile plastered on it. I look around and find that neither Azmodaus nor Mammon are here.

As if he sensed me wondering King McMill says, "They've been sent away. I've chosen to join your rebellion Lord Ivan. I'd like to appoint my head guard to be the general for the Leprechauns."

  "Actually, if you don't mind, we'd like Patrick O'Conner to fill that position. He's the only reason I this alliance was even possible; however your head guard will be his next in command. If Patrick should die in battle then he would take Patrick's place." I propose

"Patrick O'Conner? Fair enough I suppose. But how do I now play into this rebellion?" McMill asks

  "You represent all Leprechauns. You will plan movements with my Leprechaun general and any mass movements with the other leaders and myself. So far there's only you and me though. Would you happen to know of anyone who would join us?" I explain

  "I believe the Minotaurs in the Greek Underground are still neutral. Chief Minos and I are close friends so I may be able to sway his opinion." The king says

"Thank you King McMill. Now before I forget I've got something for you. I realize your kind detest technology but I need you to keep something near you just in case I need to contact you in an emergency."

  "What is it?" He sighs

"A cell phone. I will contact you by letter or courier  as much as possible, but if something urgent should arise I need you available so I can get to you as quickly as possible."

"Very well." McMill gives in and takes the phone and charger from me

"The charger is solar powered so just leave it in the sun attached to the phone. The manual is in cryptolingual, so if you have any problems with it read the manual. Or assign someone else to do it, I don't really care either way." I instruct

  "So will you be off to Greece now to try and recruit the Minotaurs?" McMill asks

"No, but we will soon. First we have to stop by the United States and check in with an informant who is working to get the Lycans to join us and another with Vampires."

"I wish you all a safe journey." King McMill bids us farewell

"Thank you. I will keep you updated." I bow

We are escorted from the castle where Patrick leads us back to the fairy circle where we first met.


"You have a choice to make my friend," I begin "do you wish to remain here in Ireland, or do you want to come back to America with us?"

"I love this place, I grew up here, but as much as I want to stay destiny beckons to me from America." Patrick gleams

"Well then you'll need some more fitting clothes." Saundra chirps

Once we get back into civilization we take Patrick into a local clothing store. Patrick is amazed by the vast collection of clothing and other items. As it turns out though, Patrick is reduced to wearing children's clothes due to his size. We get him some modern, presentable clothes. Slacks, T-shirts, that kind of stuff. Finally it's off to America and back to home.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 14, Chapter Fourteen, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick