15

15

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick

   We go through the airport security with ease, perhaps with the aid of Maurine's mind rot charm. The fourteen hour plane ride is a bit less boring, though we have to fly coach in order to stay together. A good portion of the flight is spent listening to stories being told by Patrick, Taylor, and Saundra. I throw in a story of my own even though I can't tell one properly to save my life. Even in school, when I was human, I stunk at giving speeches in front of the class. We were lucky that the few people on the plane with us are a good bit away and can't hear us properly. If they did they'd probably think us insane and dismiss them as children's stories. Daimian was a few seats behind us talking with Kara or the other three that joined us, though amber doesn't seem to say much. When he wasn't chatting he was either watching a movie on his phone, napping, or snacking. All in all the ride home was quite pleasant.

   When we touch down at SeaTac airport it was close to midday. Saundra had to keep to the shadows but for the most part we leave without a problem. In fact the only issue we come across is locating our luggage, in which is carrying all my weapons this time around. After we manage to wrangle up all our gear we're back in the limo and on our way back to the Den with out four extra people we brought back with us.

   Once back at the Den I head for my room with Saundra. We toss our bags on the floor, flop on the bed and just lay there.

 "Home sweet home." I smile, eyes shut, absorbing all the comforts that only home can provide. "It's a pity we won't be here for more than a week. And in that time we'll be busy with planning, meetings, and training. We should find time to go to the drive-inn. Just you, me, Taylor, and Raze like when we first met."

   "That would be fun, but I think we should bring the others as well though. Patrick, Maurine, Amber, and Ra I mean. They might enjoy it." Saundra suggests

  "Speaking of which, we should probably go pay them a visit and help them get settled. See how they like America so far and what not." I say mindlessly

  "There be no need, we have come ta ye." An Irish stricken voice beckons from the doorway, "I be findin’ it a bit on tha warm side. Uncomfortable with all this tech around too."

  "That's because we're further south than Ireland...I think. If not then its just you. As for tech, welcome to America where there's virtually nowhere that doesn't have it. How about the rest of you?" I look to Maurine

  "It's beautiful, especially that spot on the bridge we crossed." Maurine reminisces

  "Oh yea! The spot where you can see Mount Rainier? I love that spot. Taylor and I used to camp on the beach down there." I suddenly realize how rude I'm being and just about slap myself, "Sorry, please come in. Find a seat in my little paradise." I welcome warmly

  They walk in and look around and take seats where they can. Patrick on my footlocker, Maurine joins Saundra on my bed, Ra pulls a chair out of the corner. I offer Amber the chair from my desk but she refuses and sits cross legged on the floor. I spin my desk chair around and sit in it so than the back piece is against my stomach, my head resting on my arms which are crossed along the top.

   "So basically my plan for us is this. Right now we're waiting Elders to assemble where I will give my report on the trip to Ireland, then you will, in turn, talk to the Elders. Murine, Ra, and Amber, what are your plans for gathering the Necromancers and Pyrokinetics?" I ask

  "Well I figure word will travel will travel like wild fire among the Pyros so we'll start in Egypt and ask the ones Ra and I know to spread the word to any they know and so on. Afterwards we'll head to Necropolis and consult with the Necromonger, the Necromancer's President." Maurine replies

  "Necromancers have a democracy? Never would've guessed. Anyways that sounds excellent." I look to the Leprechaun, "Patrick, what are your plans?"

  He shrugs and simply says, "I plan to be wherever ye be or that I be needed."

 There's a knock at the door as Raze walks in, his face buried in various papers. "Hey Ivan, I heard you were back from Ireland. How'd things go?" He looks up from his papers, " I guess it went well, never mind. Who are they?"

  "These are new recruits. Patrick here is my Leprechaun general. This is Maurine, a Necromancer. And Ra, who is a Pyrokinetic. Finally, this young lady on the floor is Amber, Maurine's wraith." I introduce each new member

  "It's a pleasure to meet you all." Raze smiles warmly, "I'm Raze, the Geographic Specialist of the Oak Harbor Den of Lycanthropic Affiliations. I do all the fine tuning to attack plans and keep track of our, as well as our cousins', territory."

  "On the subject, how are our parasitical cousins rebounding? It's been almost two months since the extermination and I doubt that we killed them all." I scratch at my face absentmindedly

  "You're right on that much, though their numbers are a mere fifth of what they were. Undoubtedly the numbers will grow again. Lotus still lives, as does her mother." Raze clears his throat. "But enough business, I came by to see if you wanted to go do something after your meeting."

  "I'd love to, however i should probably take care of my blades. They need to be sharpened and polished. Then there’s the matter of what to do next. “ I pause in thought, “Ah screw it, I can do all that tomorrow. Sure, we can all go out and get drinks and hang out. That okay with you Saundra?” I check

 “Yea it’s fine with me, but you and Taylor are too young to drink.” She points out

“So. The bars around here serve root-beer too.” I grin childishly

“Okay, then it’s a date.” Raze beams. An  obnoxious buzzing, beeping sound trickled out of Raze’s pocket. He whips out his cellphone, flicks it open and reads a text message, then types a response and puts it away. He looks at me with a serious face, “It’s time.”


We all gather in the Elders’ chamber. The four of them looking down at us. Silvermain speaks first.

“Welcome back Daimian. How was Ireland son?”

“Impossibly frigid, but successful nonetheless." Daimian replies

 "So you have the support of the Leprechauns?" Bloodlust asks ambitiously

 "Thanks to Ivan's diplomacy, yes." Daim confirms

 The Elders look at each other confused, then Bloodlust bellows a bout of laughter. "Ivan using diplomacy instead of brute force? Who knew he was capable of wielding words as effectively as he does a blade! Please, Ivan, give us your report."

 I tell them my story, starting at the faerie circle and tell all the way up to the present. I leave out certain unimportant, embarrassing details. By the end of my report Bloodlust's face was a furious crimson, Silvermain was stroking his beard thoughtfully, and Essence and Luna were whispering amongst themselves.

 "Let me get this straight. You had a general of the enemy captive and you LET HIM GO?!" Bloodlust yells the last part at me

 I don't break eye contact despite how much I want to look away. "You may not comprehend this, but it was for the best."

 "How? Please explain this to me Ivan. How the hell is releasing an enemy leader for the best?"

 "If I hadn't then we would never have gotten the aid of the Leprechauns. We need them and if letting one powerful enemy go so that we gain an even more powerful ally then so be it. Besides I already know he's not nearly a challenge for me."

 "You are dismissed Ivan. Take your seat." Silvermain calmly "Who's next?" He asks as I follow the previous order

 "That would be me sir." Patrick steps forth

 Silvermain squints as if he is seeing improperly, "Patrick? Patrick O'Conner, is that you dear friend?"

 Patrick nods, "Yes, Silvermain, it be me. I be the general for tha Leprechauns. I come ta ye with good news me friend."

 Silvermain breaks into deep, rolling laughter, "Excellent! What is your news Patrick?"

 "As ye have heard tha Leprechauns be joinin' yer ranks. Shortly after arrivin' I received word, by messenger, that King McMill be supplyin' five thousand soldiers, all of which are trained and ready for war."

 "That wonderful Patrick, absolutely wonderful." Silvermain smiles approvingly, "Is there anymore to your report Patrick?"

  "No sir, I be takin' me seat now." Patrick retires to one of the chairs in the back of the room

 "Very well. Please stay after we're done, there's much to catch up on." Silvermain requests

 Patrick's spot on the floor is taken by Maurine, Ra, and Amber. They all look rather nervous, but Maurine take a deep breath and speaks first, "Silvermain, sir, my name is Maurine Yamamoto and I am a Necromancer."

 "A Necromancer? This far from Necropolice? You must have important news." Silvermain interjects

 "Actually sir, I never really lived in Necropolice. I've lived in various Undergrounds a majority of my life. My business here however is, hopefully, going to be of great importance. I, as well as my friends, have pledged ourselves to the Anti-Eclipseal Army." Silvermain raises an eyebrow at the name but Maurine continues, "I'm planning on returning to Necropolice and meeting with Necromonger Marvick to get his support. After I have his support we should get, at least, two thousand Necromancer soldiers and who knows how many dead. A deadly force in itself. What's more lethal than a hundred men who bring death with weapons and a single man that wields death as a weapon?"

 "Your intentions sound to be in the best nature, but how do we know we can trust you?" Luna says, speaking for the first time this meeting

 "Trust me? Well...I honestly never thought of having to win anybody's trust other than Lord Ivan."

 Silvermain chokes on what he's drinking, sputtering and coughing up liquid,"Lord Ivan?"

 "Well yeah. It's clear to see that he's leading this army, so that would make him a lord. Am I wrong?" Maurine asks

 "He may lead, but his is not yet a lord. I am not to be ruled by a child." Silvermain spits venomously

 "Calm down, it's just a word. You don't have to obey me, besides you're not in the rebellion are you?" I say from my seat

 "No I suppose not." Silvermain clears his throat,"Please continue Ms. Yamamoto."

 "I'm concluded. I believe it's my friend's turn." Maurine says handing the floor over to Ra

 Ra steps forward and bows. "I am Rashot and I am a Pyrokinetic."

 The Elders' eyes widen.

 "They still exist? I thought they went extinct ages ago." Silvermain rambles, "The last known report of a living Pyrokinetic was in 1756 during the West Nile Revolt."

 "Our numbers are scarce but we are still very much alive. Maurine and myself are going to stop by Egypt before going to Necropolice. I know a couple of Pyrokinetics there that can get in touch with a larger population. Hopefully, with the promise of a utopia, many of my kind will join the rebellion."

 "Hopefully you are correct. A Pyrokinetic could be as useful as multiple Necromancers." Silvermain remarks, "Who is our last speaker?"

 "My name is Amber, I'm uncertain of my last name. I am Maurine's wraith and will do whatever my mistress asks of me. My role in this is not important, I've simply answered the question you asked."

 "I see." Silvermain stands, "Are there any other matters to be addressed?"

 I get up from my seat, "I wish to announce that by next Sunday my party is heading to Greece to recruit the help of the Minotaurs."

  "Noted. Be on guard Ivan," Silvermain warns, "the Minotaurs are a visions group. You do not want to have them as an enemy."

  "I'll keep that in mind." I bow, "Thank you."

  Silvermain nods in acknowledgement, "This meeting is adjourned. You all are dismissed."

 Everybody, except for Silvermain and Patrick, file out of the chamber. The other three Elders leave through their backdoor; us through the main hall. Taylor, Saundra, Raze, and Myself head to the cafe to grab something to eat. We're joined shortly after my Maurine and her possé. Maurine wasn't kidding when she said they spent most of their lives in the Undergrounds. They don't even know what soda is! I generously introduced to the bubbly, green deliciousness that is Mountain Dew. Ra twists the cap off his bottle and nearly drops it when the pressure escapes.

 "Are they supposed to hiss at you? Surely this can't be good for you." Ra mutters

 "The hissing noise is just the bottle releasing pent up pressure created by the gasses in it. No, this isn't necessarily good for you, but they taste pretty damn good. Having one or two at a time isn't bad for you." Taylor explains, "This one is mine and Ivan's favorite. Another good one is root beer, which is probably a bit better for you."

  "Root beer? Beer is made from hops and barley, not roots." Maurine says puzzled

 "It's just a name. I think it's mostly artificial flavors, caramel flavoring plays a big part in it." Saundra says, "My favorite are orange flavored ones." She holds up her bottle

 "How many different sodas are there?" Ra asks fascinated

 "Probably more than the three of us know of. There are flavors like grape, lemon-lime, orange, and cherry, along with classic stuff like Coke or Pepsi. There are other flavors in other cultures. I hear Japan has literally hundreds of flavors: Bubble Gum, cotton candy, and that kind of stuff." I point out

  "If we ever go to Japan we've got to try some." Taylor grins "I wonder if they'd have wasabi flavored soda?"

 "That's disgusting Taylor." Saundra pretends to vomit

  "Never said it wasn't. I'm just curious." Taylor says

 "Do you know what happened what happened to the cat when it got curious?" Maurine asks

 "It got killed." Taylor answers confidently

 "No, that's horrible, it got chased by Helhounds. It means curiosity can be very dangerous."

 "It can be rather helpful as well." I point out, "Curiosity played a major role in the creation of this army. It can also get you valuable information." I fish around in my pocket and pull out the Cryptolingual to English alphabet chart and wave it in the air

 "Wasabi is hot, right?" Ra asks, pulling us back to the soda discussion

 "Yes." I laugh

 "It might be good then. I love spicy foods. Call it a natural addiction." Ra smiles and turns bright red when we all laugh

 With all our talking and laughing we hardly eat anything in the Cafe. We each just have a sandwich and our pops. I share a turkey sandwich with Saundra, Taylor enjoys a meatball sub, Murine has a BLT, and Ra made a concoction of every hot item in sight at the build-a-sub bar short of fire...which he later added to toast the bread.


  After dinner I give them a quick tour of the Den, making the Training Room the last stop.

 "The peek of out tour is my favorite room, excluding my room and the Cafe that is. This is the training room." I open the doors and lead them in, "This is probably the single most dangerous room in the Den, unless you're a Vampire that is, then I'd avoid the interrogation cells."

 "I'll try to remember that." Maurine smirks, "So what all can you train with in here?"

 "Pretty much any melee-weapon you can think of: Axes, swords, bludgeons, hammers, even some of the shields." I point to the back left of the room where a Lycanthrope was throwing knives at a target

 "I thought Lycanthropes were strictly mele only creatures." Saundra states

 "They are, however thrown weapons are permitted when the opponent is trying to flee from battle. I suppose that now that I'm Lycan I could use ranged weapons. I think I'll stick to Lycanthrope customs though. Old habits die hard." I realize nobody is listening and shake my head

  "So you use, what you see as, cowardly acts to kill cowards? Fitting I suppose." Ra rationalizes,"What kind of targets do you use?"

  "For mele we use anything from wooden posts to a bleeding ballistics gel dummy. Ranged blades we use foam, wooden, gelatin, paper, and concrete targets." I list off on my fingers

 "Concrete?" Ra questions the very idea

 "If you can imbed a blade into stone, you will have no issues rending flesh and bone." I elaborate

  We hang around in the Training Room and play around with different weapons. I pick up a Morning Star mace off the wall and pulverize a gel dummy. Maurine and Ra carefully choreograph a sparring battle. Maurine with a small flail and Ra with a hammer. I watch as Amber reduces a wooden Mahican to splinters with a sword.

  After watching Maurine's "spar" with Ra, Saundra urges me to spar he for real with bamboo weapons so no one loses a hand or any other vital body parts.

  We each grab a shinai, bamboo training sword, from their container and face each other on the mat. As soon as the match begins Saundra comes at me with an unrelenting offense of slash-jab combos. I parry and dodge until she wears herself out before I strike. I catch her Shinai on a down swing with my own and with a flick of my wrist send it spiraling through the air. I have her unarmed and trapped in a corner, yet hesitate to go for "the kill". Saundra takes advantage of this and finds a gap in my defense. Saundra sweeps her leg along the floor, tripping me. I fall flat on my back, my Shinai clattering across the mat to Maurine's feet. I return my attention to Saundra just in time to roll out of the way of her new attack. I do another roll and stop by Maurine. I  grab my shinai and spin around to face Saundra with a sideways attack which barely misses her stomach. I swing again and my shinai bounces off of Saundra's with a loud slap. She hops back to recover from the recoil and steadies herself. I make a charging lunge at her, focused on hitting get with the tip of the bamboo sword. She side steps and I miss, going too far. I feel a sharp pain as she brings her shinai down on my back. I topple over, landing just in time to receive her killing blow to my face. I clutch my face with both hands and roll over in pain. Saundra instantly drops her weapon and rushes to my side, but I stop her by holding up a hand.

  I look at her with my eyes flickering back and forth from Wolven to Human. "Stay back. I don't know if I can fight it and keep the wolf at bay." I growl in a deep growl

  Saundra does as asked and stays back, slowly retreating to the security of Maurine and Ra. My back arches off the ground as my fingernails turn to claws and rake my face. Blood trickles from the gashes as they begin heal as quickly as they were made so there's not much of a mess.

   Maurine barks a spell at me and I instantly become still, unable to move in the smallest way. The wolven recesses of my brain still fighting, but now losing the battle within me. In moments the urge to change ebs away as rage dissipates, putting me back in control. Maurine sees the struggle in my self end and releases the spell. I slump on the floor in a tired heap.

 Saundra rushes to my side. "Are you okay? What was that?..." She asks in a flurry of words.

She's still asking questions when I reply, "Saundra, calm down. I'm not sure what happened. All I know is that you hit me in the face and my lycanthropy flared to life. It was like back at the Underground when Mammon slapped you. But yes, I'm perfectly fine now." I smile to push my lie. To be honest I haven't the slightest clue what's going on with me and it frightens the hell out of me.

  She exhales with shakes relief. She laughs a little, "Your cheek is healing. Without the cuts, it looks kind of funny." She pulls a compact mirror out of her purse and shows me before my bruise disappears completely

  The colors dance along my face, shades of purple and an ugly yellow-green before it faded away to a healthy flesh color. I rub the spot where the bruise was, "I heal nicely. Not even a scar from the cuts." I admire my body's handiwork. I clean the blood off my face with my shirt.

  "I'm sorry for hitting you so hard. I guess I got caught up in the moment. Are you sure you're okay?" Saundra says

  "Don't worry about it. You acted as you should have if a were an enemy, I expected nothing less of you. Anyways babe, I'm fine. You act like I've never had my a*s kicked before."  I laugh feebly

  "I've never seen you get beaten before. Every time I've seen you fight you came out on top." She says

  "That's because I had something to fight for all those times, you fueled my will to win. And that's not true, what about that time at the trail or when you were abducted?" I sense that Saundra is on the verge of tears now, "Come on, lets go again. This time I won't hesitate."

  "Should we leave before you two start making out?" Maurine mocks

  Saundra rises, then steadies her sword, smiling all the while. I meet her smile with one of my own. We spar two more rounds before leaving, both of which I win. I sense that Saundra was holding back on me though. After our sparring we decide it's time to retire for the night. Amber, Ra, and Maurine head to their guest rooms. Saundra and I go back to ours.


  I spin my desk chair and sit in it, resting my head on the back. "Hey Saundra, don't go to bed just yet. I want to talk to you."

  "About what?" She says pulling her shirt off and replacing it with one of my own that are too big for her.

  "About me spontaneously changing form. From what Richard said no Lycan in history should be able to change without a full moon."

  Saundra sits behind me on the chair then wraps her arms around me. Before talking she rests her head on my shoulder. "But you're not one hundred percent Lycan though. You have to remember that you were once a Lycanthrope. When I was human, you once said that the virus reacted differently to everyone. You said it worked off your DNA and with that different side effects, like changing at will or age rate reduction. What if the virus that turned you Lycan somehow bonded with the Lycanthrope virus. In doing so it could have created the trait to transform at will and you just haven't gained control of. Maybe until you gain control of this...mutation you'll change at any emotional shock such as: rage, exhilaration, or perhaps even love."

 "So I'm a furry, slobbery Hulk. Fantastic." I huff

 "You're missing the point Ivan. You are something different, a mix of two similar things that are completely different. You saw how powerful you were at Alexander's. You left a crater in a stone wall using nothing more than your raw strength and  an armored goblin. If you could learn to control your new wolffish nature, you could easily become something new. Something that has the power of a Lycan, but the freedom of a Lycanthrope." Saundra clarifies

 I smile at the thought, "So you're saying I could become even more B.A.? I think you're right on that one, love. Only question is, how to I tame myself?"

 "Richard might know. Too bad he's not here. Can we go to bed now honey?" Saundra yawns

 "Sure." I smile

 Saundra lays down on the bed as I click the string on my desk lamp and we're plunged into darkness. I fumble around obstacles, nearly tripping over the chair we were sitting in, and get into bed next to Saundra. For the first time in days I fall fast asleep and sleep soundly.


 In the morning, Saundra and I are the first ones of our group to get breakfast. I pile my plate high with eggs, bacon, and blood sausage made with some of the bottled human blood gathered from the Coven raid. Saundra has some pancakes, eggs and fruit with a small mug of blood. She's slowly getting used to the blood idea, and is good at not running low so to speak. Some Vampiric and Lycanthropic creatures can detect shuttle differences in blood types, but they all have that same salty, metallic taste to me. I suspect Saundra has the finer taste though. As I devour a blood Sausage Raze walks into the Cafe with a nasty case of bedhead. He glances over in our direction and Saundra waves him over while I continue my breakfast massacre. Raze runs through the line and joins us with a plate piled high with fruit and blood sausages. He barely gets to start eating before I remember my conversation with Saundra last night.

 I force a partially chewed bite of food down my throat. "Hey Raze, when is Richard supposed to be getting back from Transylvania?"

  "I would think soon. He's been gone about a week now. He was sent to get the loyalty of the Lycans and their Alpha. There's a massive Den somewhere in Romania that the Alpha of all Lycans resides in." Raze says, still half asleep "Why?"

 "Well having Lycan soldiers would be useful." I begin "they're stronger, faster, and-"

 "No, I mean why are you asking about Richard?"

 "I've got a question for him about something that's been happening to me since I became a Lycan. It's nothing really." I assure him

 Within an hour everybody except for Daimian are up and at the table, eating and talking with friends. Daim doesn't get up until twelve o'clock, and that's because I wouldn't let him sleep in any longer.

 I pound on his door with a fist and yell, "Daim get up. It's practically time for lunch."

 "Go away Ivan." Daimian groans," I get to sleep in for once, and by god I'm going to."

 I sigh and shake my head. I've got no choice but to play Daimian's weakness against him. "You sleep in any longer Daim and you won't get to eat until dinner."

 There's a long pause as I listen for a response. Finally he grunts, "Fine, I'll get up. Gimme a second, I'll be out soon enough."

 I roll my eyes. "Hurry up. When you get dressed meet the rest of us in the Cafe." I walk off and join the others who are already eating lunch. I grab my lunch and take a seat next to Saundra.

 Daimian sits down with us five minutes later.

 "Long time, no see. Where ya been Daim?" Taylor taunts

 "Watch yourself pup. I'm still your mentor." Daimian demands respect

 Taylor lowers his gaze, "Sorry Daimian. I was just messing around."

 Maurine giggles at Taylor's embarrassment. I laugh at Maurine's giggling. It was odd, yet fitting to see someone like her laugh.

 "What?" Maurine asks definitively

 "Nothing. It's just that I've never known you to have a sense of humor. You always seem so serious." I hold my hands up to show I mean no insult

 "Only when I'm in the field. I'm usually quite humorous I'm relaxing. Hey, have you guys heard the one about the Priest, the Rabbi, and the Hobbit?"

 The next half hour of lunch is filled with jokes and laughter.


 The rest of the week goes by pretty much in the same manner. Breakfast, wake up Daimian, Lunch, Nap, Training Room, Lounge and Play video games (bad move showing those to Maurine and Ra), Watch them nearly destroy each other out of competition, Dinner, and Bedtime with Saundra. I'm able to fit in a movie night for Saundra and myself Tuesday.

 Wednesday morning we all grab our bags and head back to SeaTac. This time, though,we get tickets to go to Greece.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick