18

18

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick

Torcon rushes to the door hollering and starts to bang on it. "Let me in! They're here, the rebels are here. Get out here and help me!"

 The door swings open and five armored guards come rushing out forming an arrow around Torcon. Each of the five looked exactly alike, none of them a Minotaur. They were all normal sized in red and white full body plate mail armor. They've got to be Vampires or Vampirics.

 "Where are they? I don't see anything." The back soldier on the left of Torcon says

 "They were further back, two Lycanthropes and a Vampire." Torcon points down the tunnel where it intersects another tunnel.

 The frontmost soldier, making up the arrow's tip, gestures to each of the soldiers beside him to follow him. They head out of the tunnel, and into my view.

 Torcon grabs the heads of the two soldiers left with him. One of them was able to yell, "Ambush!" before Torcon smashes their heads together. I take off, drawing a tanfa-blade, and tackle the guard closest to me. Taylor does the same with a hidden blade along his forearm. During the confusion, Daimian takes the opportunity to change and charges the remaining guard, the one who was in the front of the formation. The soldier flicks his head up to open the face guard on his helmet and unleashes fire. This takes us all by surprise but none more so than Daimian, who gets hit head on by the unrelenting fountain of flames. He's sent tumbling back, landing on the floor ablaze.

 In a blur, Kara pulls out her katar and meets the fire breather. She knocks the faceguard shut as he attempts the shoot more fire, but the flames are retained in his helmet, minus the tendrils that escape through the vision/air holes in it. She then stabbed every vulnerable spot in his suit using her katar, hitting his face last.

 Saundra had rushed over to Daimian during the fighting. He was now human again, though naked and steaming....or maybe it's smoke, and has a shirt thrown haphazardly over his waist. I parry the attack of my opponent and hastily slide the blade of my weapon through an opening in their helmet. I drop my weapon while the opponent falls to the floor and rush over to my wounded mentor.

 "He's burned really bad. We need to get him medical help, now." Saundra informs me

 Taylor finishes off his soldier and joins us, along with Torcon.

 "We need to move quickly. Your friend, you can bring him to my wife. Another riot has started, we can use that distraction to get you to the Cheif. Stay with me and you won't be stopped." Torcon instructs

With Taylor's help, we get Daimian into some pants and go inside.


 The indication of a battle is overwhelmingly evident. The sounds of war fill the air. Bodies litter the floor, more Chaos Knights than Minotaur. Torcon, who is carrying Daimian, calls a couple lingering Minotaur over to us.

 "Change of plan Lord Ivan. I will take your friend to my wife and the other healers. Saleen and Makrov here will take you to the Chief." Torcon turns his attention to the approaching Minotaur, "These are the Rebel leaders, take them straight to the Chief."

 "But he's out in battle." The rugged, auburn colored Minotaur named Saleen says, resting a large, jagged sword on his shoulder

 "I don't have time to argue, he's going to die unless I get him to camp." Torcon nods to Daimian, "We had an unexpected run in with the halfbreed. Just take them to Minos, they can hold their own in battle." Torcon demands, then turns and left with Daimian in his arms.

 A pair of Chaos Knights,one a troll and the other a goblin, try to stop the unarmed Minotaur. The attempt was in vain at Torcon charges through the pair, goring the Troll with his horns while the goblin was smashed into the ground by his powerful hooves.

 "Don't worry about your friend, one he gets to our healers he'll be fine." Saleen says, "One of our best warriors, Torcon is."

 "Enough talk, we haven't job to do." Matkov says," We'll charge through and make a path. Stay right behind us. Fight no one until we reach the Chief unless its absolutely necessary." Markov turns to Saleen, "Ready? Alright, lets go."

 They put on heavy looking helmets and charge into the sea of creatures, trampling and throwing anyone in their way using both horns and hands. They yell at the occasional Minotaur to move out if the way. We eventually reach a massive Minotaur wielding a war hammer, batting three enemies at once. Both Saleen and Markov use their charge to take out an opponent. The Minotaur brings his hammer high above and brings it down full force on his last foe, leveling his head with his shoulders.

 An unhelmeted Vampire comes up behind the massive Minotaur and prepares to attack. I rip shurikens from my belts and launch them through the air. They hit the vampire as he leaps to attack. He's dead before he hits the ground and falls in a manner that looks like he was pushed down. The Minotaur looks over his shoulder at the dead Vampire, then to me and nods his head in thanks. I return the gesture then take a spot beside him and stand my ground pulling out my blades.


 The battle seemed to have lasted forever, but as Taylor checks his watch he tells me it only lasted forty-five minutes. The gang and I, minus Daim, are gathered in a large totem pole-like building. Unlike the Ireland Underground, which was actually underground, the Minotaur lived above ground. They occupied an island hidden by cloaking devices created by the Leprechauns.

 "Patrick, I thought that your kind hated tech of any kind." Taylor recalls

 "We do lad, but these cloaks be not tech as ye think but more of a giant mirror-like, translucent bubble. The in depth details of how it works be too confusin' fer me ta explain. It's like this, anyone or anythin' who be lookin' in on the bubble might as well be starin' right on through ta the other end of tha island, however if they were ta try ta walk ta it they'd walk right inta tha village. Wind, rain, and sunlight can still get in just fine."

 "We, like the Leprechauns, stray away from human technology unless necessary." The large Minotaur from before says, "We're very close to nature and work along side the elements, instead on controlling them like the humans."

 "But Minos, what about those lads I saw when we came in? They be shootin' lightning." Patrick asks the Minotaur

 "They were, in human terms, shamen. They hone the elements and use them for our benefit; in return they live outside with the elementals and do as they ask." Chief Minos explains. With one of his three large fingers, Minos tests the point of his horn then sets the file in his hand down next to him. His horns are completely black, void of any colored designs that adorned the horns of so many other Minotaur, and have an intricate design carved into them.  His fur was mostly tan with patches of brown splotched here and there. His "mane" is black and formed into a cascade of braids along his neck. Worked into each of the braids are variously colored beads made from wood or the seeds of local fruit.

 "What's an elemental?" I ask

 "It's a living element. A conscious being of fire, earth, air, water, or nature." Minos explains, "There are some nearby, perhaps you could visit them later."

 "I might have to. Back to business though. So we've settled that the Minotaur are, as of today, officially aligned with the Anti-Eclipseal Rebellion, agreed?" I ask in general

 The question is met by a round of head nodding, yes's, and a lone "aye" from Patrick.

 "What is the current status of your force Chief Minos?" I ask

 "As of now, our numbers are unsure. Allow  a day or two and I will be able to give you a detailed report. The dead must be counted and given a proper burial." Minos explains

 "Very well. By which method will you be contacting me?" I reply

 "I will send a messenger to you. It was have my detailed report." Minos answers

 "What about the elementals? Will they join?" Taylor asks

 "That's up to them." Minos says simply, "I'm sure some will, but most of them are primarily neutral. Out of curiosity, what is the standing of the rebellion?"

 "As of now, not great. Our only confirmed allies are the Leprechauns and you. If my other General and her accomplice succeed then we should gain the support of the Necromancers and Pyrokinetics. We also have an ally in Transylvania working on getting the Lycans to join." I report

"If things go well, you will have a formidable army. I do question your motives for recruiting the death wielders though." Minos says uncomfortably, obviously unnerved by the mention of the Necromancers.

 "My motives are simple, they're strong and would be an extraordinary asset."

 "The Necromancers manipulate life. We Minotaur are very in tune with nature and believe that once something is dead it should stay that way, so the soul may travel to paradise." Minos explains

 "I see. Not to be rude, but morals and beliefs are kinda trivial in times of war." I transition back to the topic at hand, "So, Cief Minos of the Minotaur, who would you like to appoint as your General?"

 "Tirana is a fine warrior and would make a worthy General, then again so would Saleen. This is quite a difficult decision to make. Who was it that led you here, Lord Burgman?"

 "It was Torcon. The last I saw of him, he was carrying one of my friends away to the medical tents." I recall

 "You must mean Torcon Galius then. Brave, powerful, a keen eye for character. A good balance of warrior and diplomat. Yes, I think he will do just fine. I will consult him on the position, and I'd like you to join me Ivan."

 "Absolutely." I turn to my followers, "Taylor, Saundra, and Kara, I want you to go find a Shaman and talk to them. Tell them who you are, then ask about the Elementals. If possible, see if you can speak to one. Patrick, I've no orders for you, do what you want."

 They all salute to me then head off to complete their assignment.

 I look over to Minos, "Well that was weird."


Minos leads the way as he guides me along various paths past buildings that kinda resemble totem poles. Each one is approximately fifty meters tall and fifteen or so in diameter. Along with the totem pole buildings, there are open stalls where Minotaur worked or sold goods. Unlike most hidden races, Minotaur allowed the use of guns and bows. I discover this as we pass a gunsmith, hard at work in his stall boring a gun barrel.

 "As you've noticed, we haven't banned ranged weaponry from our civilization, but we use then only in hunting. We are a battle centered community who base our ranks on our combat status and ability, like most other creatures." Minos says when he sees me watching the gunsmith

 I nod in understanding and follow, quietly memorizing everything I was just told.

We exit the city and enter a vast field of tents made of white woven canvas. "Welcome to the koiláda tou pónou, or Valley of Pain. This valley is used only in times of war and ,as you've seen, war is upon all of us. The foul fingers of the Chaos Eclipse have affected many peoples, even enslaving some. They've lashed out at the Leprechauns for joining you and any race that have claimed to be neutral. There are reports of attacks, not unlike the one here, from the Orcs in Japan and the Golums in South America."

 "What's a Golum?" I ask as we walk into a semi-large tent

 Minos looks up and makes a face, trying to think of how to describe the creatures. "Try to imagine a troll mixed with a goblin. It's a creature the size of a human, but hunches over walk-hops on all four, and is a sickly greenish grey color." Minos tries to impersonate one but trips and lands face first.

 Laughter bursts from the next room of the tent as Torcon walks over to the Chief and helps me help him up. "That's pretty close to a Golum, but they're faster and more agile, and downright deadly with tridents and spears." Torcon chuckles

 Minos and I utter a short laugh as well.

 "I suppose you're here to check on your friend, he's right here. He's removing remarkably fast, most would be dead at this time from the injuries he had received. I mean a head on blast from a Dragonborn is a death sentence in itself." Torcon remarks in awe

 "That Daimian, more stubborn and bullheaded towards death than anyone. Bad choice of words." I catch myself too late

 The two Minotaur erupt with laughter. Minos puts a massive, furry, three-fingered hand on my shoulder. "No need for regrets. We're stubborn and we know it." Minos turns his attention to Torcon, composing himself to a more serious manner and addresses the reason we've come. "Torcon, you led them here, yes?" Minos thumbs over to me

 "Yes Chief." Torcon says, no trace of the smile smile that was just there.

 "I see. In that case you are now the one to represent our kind as the Rebellion's Minotaurian General. Are you willing and ready to accept this role?"

 "Yes Chief Minos, I am honored to represent all Minotaur in battle and will lead with pride. Not a single Eclipsean will stand before our force." Torcon turns and kneels to me, "What is your bidding Lord Ivan?"

 My face goes blank. "Well you can start by getting up. I figure that we'll stay here a day or so, to let Daimian recover completely. I've got the others looking into gaining the aid of some elementals. After that we'll head back to the states and regroup at HQ and plan our next step from there. I guess you should start saying your farewells and getting what you need together."

 "I see. I will do as ordered, thank you my lord."

 I nod, still uncomfortable with people calling me that. "I will send for you when I need you. Minos do we have any further business to conduct?"

 "Not at the moment. Tonight, in the market square, we're having a celebration feast to honor our new alliance as well as getting rid of those damned Eclipseans."

 "Awesome. Where's Daim at again?" I peer around the corner, into a room of wounded bull-men.

 "Other way, my Lord."Torcon starts

 "Cut that crap out Torcon," I say exasperated, "call me Ivan. The titles make me cringe."

 "Yes my- uh, I mean Yes Ivan."

 Torcon leads Minos and myself through a maze of bleeding and broken bodies.  "It's amazing that only this many were wounded for the numbers we were up against."

  I see a sorry from wave at me from a wall. I return the wave and make my way over to Daimian. "How are you doing?"

 "I'm recovering at a fair rate. I should be able to walk around by tonight." Daimian smiles then takes notice of the large Minotaur behind me

 "That's great Daim. The others will be relieved." I sidestep, "Daim, this is Chief Minos. He is the head of the Minotaur community and has agreed to join us."

 Daimian lets out a deep, rolling laugh then winces. Still chuckling Daimian says, "I'm glad my getting burnt to a crisp wasn't for nothing." Daimian sticks out a friendly hand, "The name's Daimian." He smiles

 The Chief takes hold of Daimian's hand and shakes. "Minos. It's a pleasure to meet you. Can we be expecting you as a guest of honor at the feast tonight?"

 "I wouldn't miss it for the world, it's truly an honor to be a welcomed guest here." Daimian replies

 "So you're good for now Daim?" I ask

 "For now. I'll have to thank Torcon and his wife for the nineteenth time for helping me recover. Without them I'd a slab of charred meat."

 "Well if you need any help with anything guys, I'll be conversing with the black smiths." I depart with a wave, "Take care my friend, and don't annoy the locals for the love of god."


 After a few hours of me watching, talking, and eventually working with a particularly talented swordsmith named Tyronius, who had an interchangeable right hand, Minos comes by the stall and calls for me.

 "Ivan, I'm on my way to help set up for the feast so I figure I'd swing by and take you up on your offer earlier."

 "Just a moment, let me finish this sword and I'll meet you there. I should be there soon, I just have to fix a few small errors and dip it, then let it cool." I continue hammering the red hot metal as I speak

"Alright. When you get there I should be by the long table that is highest up." Minos says walking away

 The description made no sense to me but I nodded assuming I'd understand when I got there. I resume hammering my weapon into shape, closely supervised by Tyronius.

  After about half an hour Tyronius puts his handless arm on my shoulder; a pair of calipers were where his hand should've been.

 As I step aside he steps and slides the lower prong under the glowing metal and pushed the top one down with his left hand and carefully lifted the hot blade. He turns to a deep barrel full of water and, with a bubbling hiss, releases a cloud of steam as he plunged the metal under and holds it there for a little more than a minute. Once he's satisfied with the time the metal's been submerged he pulls it out and sets it on the anvil.

 "Well done, Ivan, this is a fine looking blade. You go help the Chief now, I'll stay and add a few touches of a master bladesmith." Tyronius says admiring the angular blade

 "Aye, thank you for your time." I stick out my left hand, "It's truly been a pleasure working with you." I shake his hand, then turn on my heel and race into the center of town.

 What Minos said earlier immediately becomes clear. Amongst the circle of tables there sat a single table on a platform that stood higher than the rest. Tables are still being carried out, decorations set, and wood placed in grates for fires later on. Minos is surrounded by a small entourage of well dressed Minotaur. Minos raises a hand and waves me over. I quickly become enveloped by the group. For the most part I hadn't a clue what they were talking about, I just nod my head and agree with Minos whenever he suggested something. There were a few tidbits about tonight's events and some comments on the battle from the night before.

 

 After, seems like, an eternity of mind numbing discussion and debate the Minotaur entourage leaves for other business.

 Minos claps his hands together and turns to me, "Sorry about all of that Ivan, a few of political issues to see to. So how about we get started? We still need to finish with the tables, help set food onto the tables, after that the blazers need to be lit, along with the bond fire."

 "What are we waiting for? Let's get to work." I beam, happy to be doing something I could understand.

 From then until dusk we do whatever needs doing; from setting the tables and surrounding area with plates and massive rows of food to lighting the massive bonfire in the middle to signify that the celebration has begun. A steady flow of Minotaur meander into the gigantic plaza, finding spots where ever they could at the tables. I see my friends amongst the crowd, Daimian included, though moving stiffly.

 I rush over to greet them, not stopping until i find myself giving Daimian a hug. “It’s good to see you out of the Hospital so soon.”

 Daimian wraps an arm around my back and pats. “It’s good to be out. I can’t wait to get back home and take a shower though.”

 When Daim and I separate, Taylor steps forward, “We spent all day looking around the area and talking with the shamen, but it seems that they wish to keep the elementals out of this matter.”

 “Aye. It took ye tis log ta figure that out? Tha Elementals be tha Gods of these people. It be like askin tha humans to recruit Jesus, Allah, or Buddah.” A strong Irish voice called from an approaching Minotaur

 “Who might you be?” I asked

 Patrick’s head pops up from the Minotaur’s shoulder with a loud “BOO!” He begins to climb over the, now smiling, Minotaur’s shoulder until he was sitting on it,cackling all the while. “So what do ye think of yer first, hic...Minotaur feast? Do they know how ta throw a party or what?” Patrick hiccups

 For the first time I notice that the Minotaur is holding two large tankards of liquor. Wen patrick gets settled he holds onto the Minotaur’s horn closest to him, then grabs the tankard handed to him with gleeful delight.

 “Patrick, how much have you had to drink?” Kara asks

 “Only a couple, hic..., a few.” He replied somberly

 “Dude the glass is half as tall as you are. Do you have any idea how Stereotypical this is?” Taylor asks

 “Sho what? I like me some, hic..., some berry ale. What be wrong with, hic..., that?”

 “Patrick, give your drink back to your friend.” I command

The small irishman sits stubbornly atop the Minotaur and takes a big gulp of ale.

 “Very well then, I’ll be forced to report your behavior to King McMill so we can replace you with someone more responsible.” I threaten

 “Yer threat be as hollow, hic..., as me mug.” He challenges

 “Is it now?” I say pulling out my cellphone and flipping it open

 A nervous look flashes across Patrick’s face, but is quickly covered with inebriated calmness. “Ye don’t have tha-” A light flashes as I press the center button on my phone. “Agh, what was that?”

 I push a few buttons and hold up the phone for Patrick to see.

 Patrick squints and reads the message aloud, “Mcmill, find replacement. Patrick O’Connor unfit for duty.” he glances at the picture attached, “Hey, that be me! I don’t, hic..., I don’t be looking too good.”

 “All it’ll take for McMill to see this is for me to press this green button. I press that and you’re back to guide duty.”

 “Fine lad, just delete that.” Patrick hands the tankard back to the Minotaur, mumbling something to himself that I’m sure isn’t friendly.

 Daimian puts a hand on my shoulder, “Don’t worry Ivan, he’s gonna be feeling it in the morning. He’ll be thanking you for not letting him drink more.”

 “If you say so, but I-” I’m interrupted by five loud beats from a drum hidden inside one of the totem pole buildings, “We should get to our spots, i think something’s about to happen.” I say with a follow me motion, then grab hold of Saundra’s hand. I lead the group towards the high table and we take our seats. The table in front of us is lined with rows of food. A goblet of something is brought to each of us, I assume wine. I take a sip and nearly choke, definitely wine. With a couple of firm slaps on the back I recover in time to hear Minos begin his speech.

 “Survival is what we have achieved today my brothers. Avengus wishes to enslave us in order to take control of the humans, but we have known slavery all our lives as our founder was imprisoned in that damned labyrinth. Because of those that condemned our ancestors we are confined to our small world, exiled from the rest of the world. That is all we have known, but that does not need to be all that our young shall know! We have made a glorious step in our journey to freedom, we have crushed those that hold the shackles and whips and have joined those that hold the key to our future! These foreigners to my right are those people , the leaders of the Anti-Eclipseal Rebels. They are working to preserve the humans and by doing so make them superior but our equals. Brothers and Sisters, we join the rebels so we may fight and we will win! We fight for honor! We fight for freedom! But most of all, we fight for survival!” Minos raises his arms and is met with a roar of applause, “And now, my friends, our victory feast begins!”

 Somewhere a band starts to play, and everyone begins to eat, talk, and laugh.

 Minos takes a seat by me and piles a clay dish high with food. "What do you think Ivan?", Minos nods to the masses below.

 "I think they deserve to have a little fun." I observe

 "Aye, that they do. It's been too long since we've been able to do something like this." Minos agrees

 "Yea? Minos, can I ask you something?"

 "Surely Ivan, what is it?"

 "In your speech you said you all were imprisoned, but earlier you mentioned a cloaking devise and the moving walls of the labyrinth. If you want to be free why not shut the defenses and join the human world?" I wonder

 "Because the humans fear the different and unknown. Humans kill what they fear. Plus they would more than likely try to conquer us and treat us oxen."

 "I see. If you distrust humans so much why are you helping us save them?" Saundra asks entering the conversation

 "Like I said before, freedom and equality. If we help man survive then, hopefully, they will see that they are no better than us."

 "We were once human and here we are helping you. Are we not?" Saundra asks

 "Yes, you are, but you've also embraced a different world of your own will. A world that is very diverse and filled with different life forms. You've opened your mind and accepted the possibilities. Most humans are ignorant and arrogant, they accept only what they see and is taught to them. They favor popular opinion and are usually against drastic change." Minos says

 "A change like the discovery of different intelligent beings?" I suggest

 "Aye. Our two very different worlds will soon be colliding to make a new world and the creation of a world is always violent before it gives life."

 Saundra and I stare at him questioningly.

 "Take our planet of Earth,"Minos starts, "The elementals were the first beings and through them I have learned that early earth was violent, all molten rock and fire. But later on it cooled and oceans began to form. With these oceans came life. So like early earth there will be much violence before our two worlds may have peace."

 "You are very wise Minos." I note, "The bad reputation of Minotaurs in legend is completely unfounded."

 "Thank you Ivan, but that is part of being a chief. You must be wise and strong to keep your people safe."

 The rest of the feast was filled with friendly chatter while young Minotaur played chase and wrestled one another with their developing horns. It was well towards when the hidden drums give three loud, clear beats,  then Minos stands all becomes silent.

Minos raises his arms to the crowd. "Brothers and Sisters, I thank you for your courage on the field of war and I want to thank Lord Ivan of the Rebellion for adopting us into his army. As thanks I'd like to give him a token of appreciation on the behalf of all Minotaur."

 Tyronius, the single handed sword smith, rises from the other side of the table holding a sword high above his head.  A bout of cheers and applause came from the crowd and Tyronius makes his way to me.

 I stand and take the weapon from him with one hand then shake his, now empty, hand with the other.

 "It's an honor to have you using one of our blades Ivan." Tyronius bows his head

 "It's an honor to be using one, and  to be able to work with someone as skilled as you." I return with a bow of my own. Once we raise our heads I ask, "Would this happen to be the blade I made this afternoon?"

 "Aye." Tyronius says with a smile as he returned to his seat.

 I raise the blade over my head to show the crowd then speak, "Within this blade I hold the courage, honor, and strength of the Minotaur people, and with it I shall alongside my new allies as we rebel and crush Avengus and his army of the Chaos Eclipse. I will fight along side you, will you return the honor?"

 A volley of "aye"s and "yes"s shoot from the crowd. Swords are raised in the air to mirror my own. An exciting end to a historic day.

 My party and I are treated to our own Totem Pole as special guests as we are to depart in the afternoon.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 18, Chapter Eighteen, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick