24

24

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

YAY, finally to Necropolice.

"

The Den looks better than Taylor made it sound. The entrance, all the glass is gone and the doors are completely missing. A pile of rubble is accumulating to the side. The inside looks more or less the same. Only a couple of spots here and there indicate there was even a battle here. The Elders' chamber on the other hand is a disaster. Craters in the ground and walls, pillars have been shattered, and the Elders' seating area has been reduced to splinters.

There are teams of Lycanthropes about, pounding with hammers and sawing boards repairing the damages. Torcon walks by hauling a pile of lumber on his shoulder.

I stop him momentarily, "Torcon, where are the Elders at?"

"The last that I saw of them they were in the infirmary. They were talking to Bloodlust." He adjusts the lumber on his shoulder then walks away.

"Thanks." I say to him, then turn to the others behind me, "Find the others, tell them to get ready. As soon as Maurine gets word back from her president we're setting off for Necropolis."

They both go search without a word. Time is slim and hell is soon to be unleashed, there's no time for idle chit chat.

I head for the infirmary, hopefully the rest of the Elders I can still trust.


They are found as Torcon had said. Essence and Luna sitting on either side of a makeshift bed on the floor which contains a battered Bloodlust. The right side of his face is wrapped in a bloody bandage, the rest splotched with ugly yellow and purple bruises. He smiles when he sees me approaching.

"Ivan, my boy, I'm pleased to see you're still alive. I was afraid Lucifer might've killed you."

"Kill me? Ha!" I snort sarcastically. "He did pummel me pretty good, he could've killed me if he wanted to. Silvermain took Saundra and I to Avengus's stronghold."

"Silvermain is dead!" Bloodlust snaps, "Lucifer took you there, not Silvermain. Silvermain was an Elder, a father to us all, and my dearest friend. Lucifer is a b*****d of a worm that works for Avengus."

"I apologize my lord." I start

"Don't apologize Ivan, and I'm not your superior. As far as I'm concerned we're equals. Now onto the important matters. Do you remember where the stronghold is?" Bloodlust says

"Not explicitly. I was wolven when we broke out so it's all just a haze, I'm trying like hell to remember. Is Richard back yet?"

"I believe so. Honestly there's been so much going on I don't really remember. Luna, Essence, do either of you know?"

Luna nods, "Yes, he got back the day after you left. He's helping with some of the repairs."

"I'll talk to him and see if he knows of anything to help with memory loss. If anyone here knows it's him. I also wanted to talk to you all. With the revealing of Lucifer amongst our ranks, there is an obvious suspicion and mistrust. Even I don't feel one hundred percent confident in exchanging important information, but I feel it necessary to keep you all updated. You all are my family and I trust you with my life, dispute the recent events, so long this information doesn't leave your lips until  this deal is done with. Maurine is arranging a meeting with the President of Necropolis. If successful we will have gained great allies. Already we have soldiers and an army at the ready. We are ready for full scale war should it show it's ugly face before my Generals and I get back. Bloodlust, I leave leadership to you in my absence."

"Wait a second, I'm confused. You don't trust me, yet you put me in command in your absence? You are an odd one Ivan. Before I accept let me ask you something. Why me?" Bloodlust asks

I stand there for a moment before smiling and replying, "It's what Daimian would've done."

Bloodlust smiles softly, "He'd be proud of the leader you've become, as am I. I accept the position to lead in the absence our leader, our lord." Bloodlust bows his head. "You have company." Bloodlust addresses the group behind me.

"I suppose that means its time to go."  I acknowledge my unusual group of travelers

"Almost, we're taking the quick way to Necropolis. A shortcut if you will." Taylor says cryptically

"Should I be frightened?" I ask

"Only if warpgates created by Necromancers makes you nervous." Taylor shoots a grin at me, "Seriously, how freaking cool is that?"

I shake my head, "Somehow you're able to find bright spots in the face of impending chaos. How do you do it, my friend?"

"Childhood spent in front of violent video games and horror movies." He replies

I chuckle. "How much time do we have? I want to find Richard."

"He's in the training room where Maurine's working, Wyatt too." Taylor says

"We've got the whole gang back together then?" I ask enthusiastically

"Everybody except for one." Taylor casts his gaze to his feet

"I think it's better that he's not here Tay. Just imagine the torment he'd be in with all that's happened. Don't get me wrong, I miss the old dog, but I think he's better off now." I suggest

Taylor nods. We're both on the verge of crying again, but we're able to refrain from tearshed. We, followed by a Minotaur, Leprechaun, and a Vampire, gather in the training room.

The warpgate is different than I anticipated. It is suspended in the air, maybe part of the air even. On the top and bottom are jagged sections that resemble oversized, cracked teeth. The gate itself reminded me of some nightmarish mouth waiting to swallow me whole. Inside this maw is a swirling, cloudy vortex of green, some of which dribbled over the teeth in smokey tendrils. The clouds of fog remind me of that thing back in the castle.

My face must've shown I was about on pee my pants because Maurine turned and laughed at me.

"Don't worry, it's not as bad as it looks. Completely harmless, well more or less. Necropolis on the other hand is very dangerous. The death mongers, the President's royal guards, will meet us on the other side. Stick with them and we'll be fine. Nobody there is stupid, or crazy, enough to take on one of them, let alone five. Oh and a fair warning, the President isn't altogether...well sain." She finishes

"Oh wonderful lass, our great ally be a bloody lunatic." Patrick starts to rant, "And tha only way we be gettin' there be by jumpin’ into tha maw of some droolin' bloody portala death. How can things get any better?"

Torcon sighs and lifts Patrick by the back of his shirt. "I don't know her as well as any of you and I can tell she would never do anything to harm us. So show her some faith would you?"

"So Maurine, what exactly is this thing?" Richard asks

"It's called a warpgate. Its just an interdimensional tear in time-space. Nothing fancy. It's really just beginner stuff." She answers

Richard blinks dumbly, "Of course, why didn't I guess that?"

"From the sound of it the gate is almost done so I want to make sure everyone is here first. We need to make an impression here guys." I call out the name of each person who replies with some sort of confirmation.

After roll call we all shuffle into the portal, some less willingly than others.


We come out on a stone platform surrounded by five marble pillars, creating the points of a pentagram. Standing on either side of each pillar is a person...I think. Each is deck out in armor seemingly made out of bone. The helmet looked to be the skull that of some sort of ram. The pentagram platform is in the middle of a surprisingly lush, maintained garden.

We must've looked surprised once we're all through because Maurine turns and says to us, "Welcome to Necropolice. Not exactly what you expected, is it?"

"It be almost pleasant here. Not nearly as deathy as I be expectin' lass."

"Are you kidding Patrick? This place is beautiful!" Saundra exclaims

The death mongers encircle us, ax and shield raised. "Ivan Burgman?" One of them calls out in a ghost’s rattle of a voice

“Aye.” I approach him, “I’m here to meet with your-”

“Reaper. I've been well informed of you and this meeting. I’m the Reaper’s head death monger, Kenpachi.”

“Its a pleasure.” I say, half spooked by his voice, “If you don’t mind Kenpachi, I’m on a tight schedule and would like to do this as quickly and efficiently as possible.” I request

“Of course, follow me and I shall show you to the Dead Hall. The Reaper is already there.” Kenpachi says

Maurine walks to my left, Saundra to my right, and everyone else behind me. Kenpachi leads the way with a death monger taking up a corner and escorts us. I can’t lie, this makes me feel very important.

Maurine fills me in as we walk, “If you haven't picked up on it yet, our presidents are referred to as Reapers. This Reaper is Marvick, our seven hundred and twenty sixth Reaper. When talking do not break eye contact. It's considered a horrid insult if you do. If you shake his hand do so firmly and speak clearly throughout the meeting. Avoid sudden movements. And above all else, be careful. Reaper Marvick is insanely fickle and may choose to help or harm in a moments notice."

The death mongers lead us through a city that looks both warmly inviting but at the same time eerily sinister. The buildings are tall and wind in a spiral as they rise and look to be made out of obsidian. Sharp offshoots jet off of the structures in random spots, so it seems, each home to a stone gargoyle. The streets and walkways are cobblestone. There are roofed bridges linking some of the buildings. Hanging from underneath the bridges are large metal bowls. The people here seem either completely happy or to have lost all hope. The happy ones walk by greeting one another as they pass, some occasionally stopping to converse. The hopeless are dirty and dressed completely in black as to try and hide in the shadows of the city.

We come to a set of stairs descending into the ground. At each end of the middle handrail there stands a tall obelisk with two hooks on each side. There's no building over the stairs, but instead a grave yard. The stairs lead into a depth of briars and stone.

As we descend, each of the death mongers mumble something and the briars recede into the ground, clearing a path. The tunnel is dark and reveals the more sinister side of the city. It's lit by candles melting atop of skulls, hundreds of skulls liking the walls. It soon becomes clear that this is still part of the grave yard. Behind each skull is a body that has been laid to rest.

"The skulls don't belong to the person entombed, it's just a fake made of stone to act as a sort of headstone. More so it houses the soul of the deceased." Maurine informs, "I highly suggest that you not try to touch anything. Specifically you Taylor."

We walk along in silence to a set if stone doors with giant skulls on them. Upon our approach the eyes light up and, against all odds, they speak.

"Cur movent?" The doors ask in some kind of Latin

Kenpachi replies in the same language, "Et omne consilium a sapiente accipere."

I lean over to Maurine and ask what they said.

She replies, "the doors asked 'why do you disturb' and he told them, basically, that we're here to see the Reaper."

The eyes of the doors dim and they disappear into the walls with the sound of rock grinding against rock. The area behind them is a room lit by a large hanging chandelier. Under it is a reasonably sized central table made of obsidian. On either side of it is a high backed chair made out of the same dark stone. There are ten similar seats arched behind the far  chair and five more along the walls parallel to the unseated sides of the table.

Sitting in the far chair is a plain looking man in his forties with snow blonde hair, clad in death monger armor minus the helmet, shield, and weapon.

He smiles warmly as we enter and gets up from his seat, "Welcome Ivan and Company. I am Reaper Marvick. Please, take a seat." He gestures to the seat across from him, then moves his arms apart and indicated  to those seats along the walls. The death mongers go and sit in the chairs behind the Reaper as we take our seats.

I look the Reaper in the eye, as instructed, and begin. "What an interesting city you have here Mr. Marvick. Not quite what I expected, I must admit."

"Oh? And what was it you were expecting of my dear Necroplice?" I asks

"I'm not exactly sure. I suppose something darker. More visual death I guess."

Marvick smiles thinly, "The dead don't like the light. This city is a unique one Ivan. It has two faces, like a coin, the two faces of death itself. During the light there's rebirth and growth that happens with death, it's the pleasant and peaceful side. At night it takes on it's darker aspect, that's what inspires nightmares. I'm sure you've been warned about me Ivan, how I'm...not altogether with it. It's a perfectly sound claim. A Reaper's term is a hundred years here in Necropolice, and after a while the city tends to...change it's leader into a form of itself you could say."

"I think I understand. So instead of a skitzo psycho you're more of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of crazy."

Marvick laughs aloud, "That's a good comparison. Yes, that is a good way to look at it except that this Mr. Hyde, depending on his mood, could do more than just kill you."

"It sounds like you're a lot like me as far as forms go. As I'm sure you know, I'm a Lycan of a sort and when I turn I still have control over myself for the most part, though I'm very short tempered." I sympathize

"Of a sort? Please explain that part to me Ivan." The Reaper requests

"I started as a Lycanthrope, an artificial, then was blooded by a Lycan.  So by all rights I'm a new breed." I tell Marvick

"Fascinating." Marvick says, lacing his fingers together, "But we can chat later. I understand you're on a tight schedule so lets get right down to business. You seek the aid of the Necromancers for the upcoming war."

Yes sir. Even just a small group would be invaluable to us and may very well hand us the victory. I trust you've heard the banter and stories about Avengus." I say

"All too much. I'm afraid that one of his brethren was born here, within the walls of Necropolice. So anyways, why should we join? What're the humans to us?"

"I doubt the humans matter at all to you. But what happens after Avengus conquers the humans? You think he's just going to stop? I've spoken to him as a captive and in his hubris he told me this, 'the world you know will be in ruins'. What good is a ruined world to someone with an entire race enslaved?"

"So help you in order to help ourselves. Smart, boy, smart. To be honest I made up my mind about joining you before you even arrived here, i just wanted to hear your argument and see what kind of a deal you have going on." Marvick applauds

"You decided before we even arrived? How could you do something like that confidently?" I wonder

"Easily. I don't trust Ragnarok any further than I can hurl a Juggernaut."  The Reaper

"Pardon?" I ask confused

"Fat, ugly thing. Stitched together. Lots of arms. You don't want to make one of them mad." Reaper Marvick laughs

"No, I mean you know about Ragnarok?"

"Of course. He's the ultimate evil and torments others with his sons of war, pestilence, famine, and death. Bet you can't guess which one was born here." Marvick says

"Death?" I guess half heartedly

"Ha! Wrong. It was pestilence. He was a natural protégée Necromancer, then he started breaking tenets and before long just went awol. I think that was after the gas accident. Went and melted half his face off. Walks around now with a gas mask strapped to his face." Marvick rambles

"You said a gas mask? I've seen him!" The image of the pale skinned man from Avengus's castle with the mask and fog. "But if that was actually one of Ragnarok's children then why didn't he kill me?"

"Szayel Plagias is the Black sheep of the family. He enjoyed creating life from death more so than the other way round. He's the one who designed and created all the guards that roam the city at night. He detested the fact that he is what he is. Even took his own wings from his back." Marvick thumbed over his back at his shoulder blades.

I bite my lip, going over all that was just said. I make mental notes to myself of everything. "I've got a question about you all. You don't seem to be evil, so why so many pentagram s everywhere?"

Marvick scrunched his face puzzled. "You must be confused child. The pentagram is not an evil symbol. It is, in fact, a symbol of nature. As well those are not pentagrams, those are inside down. The ones you've seen have all been right side up so they are pentacles.  The bottoms, left, and right points represent the four basic elements and the top is the soul. The encompassing circle represents the whole that is the relationship between them all. It's a sacred, holy symbol of our night mother."

"So then it's kinda like all the crosses in a church." I note to myself. "Sorry, it's just that most humans associate it with the Dev-, er I mean Ragnarok. Anyways, is there any other business you'd like to discuss?"

"Two orders. First, do you have a written document to hold this alliance together? Just in case someone decides to try to jump ship."

"Umm, no. Not yet I mean. Once I get back I'm assigning someone to the job of writing up a document for that. A single treaty for all five races; Lycans, Leprechauns, Minotaur, Necromancers, and Humans." I say, coming up with the idea on the spot

"The humans are fighting huh? Lets see how that goes. That sounds like a decent plan. My second request is for you to stay in Necropolice until dark, so you truly know your new allies." The Reaper explains

"Very well," I accept, "I will do that. I'd like to get back as soon as possible. I've much to do."

"Oh? So close to war?" Marvick tuts with a smile

"Unfortunately. I believe I need to find a new headquarters for the rebellion. The one we have been using has been compromised due to a traitor." I say

"Really?" Marvick coos, "May he be gutted and forced to jump rope with his own intestines. Treasonous little cur." Marvick chirps cheerfully then clears his throat, "Sorry. Souls must be setting."

I nod in understanding. "Goodnight Dr. Jekyll, good morning Mr. Hyde." I say to myself

Kenpachi stands from his seat, "I think it'd be best if we ended the meeting here. This is much to do on both sides."

"Good idea Kenny. I'll escort our guests back to the warpgate." Marvick looks back at me," Well I guess I get my second wish. I'll point out anything noteworthy along the way." Marvick smiles "Perhaps we'll run into a few dead guard! One can only hope." He laughs to himself

I fidget uncomfortably. "Indeed, one can only hope."

Reaper Marvick leads us through the hall with the skulls and back out into the city. Necropolice has lost all of its warmth and has turned into what I imagined the city of the dead to look like. Bodies hang now from the hooks on the obelisks from before, each looking like they've been there for decades. The bowls under the bridges hold large fires that seem to spit and writhe with fury. The cobbled roads are now filled with hundreds of people, both live and undead. A Necromancer wearing a black robe with a silver Pentacle embroidered on it walks by and greets us, followed by a decaying mass of flesh lead by a chain around its neck. The are gargoyle no longer perched on their off shoots but now soar above us, in the company of the ravens. The graveyard that we were under is now just a field of empty holes and headstones.

We're almost back to the warpgate when Marvick stops us abruptly and points down a street, "Look what's coming towards us! What luck! There we have a Juggernaut, Rattler, and a Houndmaster...with a Helhound! Ha ha ha, splendid! Absolutely splendid! Lets call them over. These are who'll mainly be fighting for you." Marvick waves at the monsters coming towards us, "Dead Guard, come or be torn inside out." Marvick looks more like a child at a circus amongst the ranks of shambling zombies and their reserved masters.

The monsters eventually reach us and, at Marvick's command, line up side by side. The first one is a large fat, grey skinned hulk. It's got another pair of arms coming from its sides. It looks to be stitched together, except  for where it's insides are exposed and hanging from its stomach. The original pair of arms are oversized and extremely muscular. One holds a cleaver that could chop a man in half with its weight alone, the other has a super sized blacksmith's hammer. The additional pair of arms are both less masculine but end in a metal hook rather than hands.

The second is a zombie that carries a pair of chains which wrapped around its arms. It's face is covered by a metal mask with bars across the mouth hole. Greasy black hair covered the rest of its head. A pressure gauge protrudes from each shoulder, hoses full of a yellow embalming fluid leading away, or towards, them. The hoses can be seen going in and out of the skin all over the creature's body. At the end of each chain that it hold is a barbed, four pronged grappling hook.

The last one doesn't look to be anything special other than the shiney whistle hanging around his neck, the whip in one hand, and the chain link leash in the other. Connected to the leash is a big dog. It's a pit bull, though it too is dead, or undead. Spots on it are rotted away but it seems better preserved than the humanoid undead.

Marvick dances around in front of them and points as he tells us about each of the guards. "This is a Juggernaut, a practically unstoppable  mound of muscle and metal. The lower arms hook a victim so they can't run away, since this big guy is a bit slow, so the other arms can do their jobs. Next is the Rattler, so named because of its rattling chains. They are more tools than soldiers. They use their hooks to latch into doors or walls and pull them down. They're also useful for catching the occasional runner, or that spot on your back you can't quite scratch. The Hound master is next, and he's simple enough. He directs this adorable pooch." He kneels and pets the decaying dog affectionately, "This is a Helhound, named after the Norse Goddess Hel whom was half alive and half dead. If one gets set loose on you I suggest one of two things. One, run really  fast because your life depends on it, or ,two, kill yourself. I guarantee those are both more pleasant that what a Helhound'll do to ya." Marvick laughs historically. He stands and dismisses the Dead Guard, who nod to him and shamble on their way.

Maurine steps forward, "Reaper Marvick, what about the Banshees?"

"Banshee." Marvick repeats hollowly, "They're still under construction. Well back to planning. They were far too unstable. Hand one break out of its pen a few weeks back, boy was it cranky. Flattened several people. If we could stabilize it, maybe. Be a fun toy to play with."

"I'm sorry, what exactly is a banshee?" Taylor asks

"Oh, nothing much. A bit of a brute but relatively harmless." The Reaper says

"Harmless? You just said it flattened people." Taylor argues

"Yes, but that was their fault. They didn't get out of its way." Marvick cackles again, "Harmless is a relative term. As long as you get out of its way, and avoid the arms then yes, it's harmless. Kinda even cute. No, not really. Good thing the straight jacket held. All under control now."

A roar erupts from somewhere behind us.

"Oh, speak of the devil. The Banshee wants to come out and play with us. Too bad he's grounded because he's a BAD BOY!” Marvick yells back at the roar

“Let’s be gettin’ outta here.” Patrick suggests, “I’d rather not be a snack fer somethin’.” Patrick suggests

 I glance at Patrick warningly. “Unfortunately we should be leaving. Thank you for all your hospitality Reaper Marvick, its an honor to have you all with us.” I bid farewell to Marvick

“Not at all, Ivan. Its a pleasure to have you all here. Have Maurine there contact Kenny when something comes up.”

“I will definitely do that.” I say and shake his hand firmly before stepping through the warpgate mouth and back into the comfort of the Den’s training room.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on April 12, 2013
Last Updated on April 12, 2013
Tags: Ivan, Burgman, Nightwars, Rebellion, Book One, Book 1, Chapter 24, Werewolf, Vampire, Werewolves, Vampires, Leprechaun, Minotaur, War, Sy-Fy, Syfy, Fight, Necromancer, Zombie, Blood


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick